C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Martz Chassis C1 front suspension

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 09:00 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 730 Likes on 624 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

the TCI swap is not for the 'faint of heart'.... John (Plasticman) & i have had some real challenges, but the light is visible at the end of the tunnel: engine is back in (need to install a smaller balancer though... ) and we're making real progress towards buttoning it up. this biggest question yet is what the ride height will be and whether there is 'too much' front spring... have to put a few miles on it before i'll know.

Bill

Last edited by wmf62; 07-27-2007 at 02:38 AM.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:58 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 642 Likes on 360 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

ok, I feel compelled to show the Myers set up....

this is when I just had the cross member on and put the motor in with the stock mounts to be able to line up the lower motor mounts....

tacking in the new mounts

powdered coated frame

Myers front and rear end...

my cut outs were covered back over, nice and neat....

17 inch rims on the front and 18 inch rims on the back, car with a bad attitude....

I had to buy a new floor jack that could get under 3.5 inch height....found a jack at Summit racing that was 2.5" tall

The Myers adjustment came in handy to lower the car.

I think no matter what way you go you will find improvements over the stock ride and handling.....I have had a lot of fun doing my car.....good luck!!!

Herb
Old 07-27-2007, 07:47 AM
INMYBLOOD
Le Mans Master

Location: The problem is all inside your head she said to me.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Herb with all the trouble ummmm broken rear parts I've had latley that 9" set up is starting to look really good. There's a guy in my area looking for a front end. Maybe I could be one of the first to do the Martz since they are so close. Just pulled open my extra 010 engine. Clean .030 over four bolt main. I'd like to see a IFS and maybe a 383 while the engine is out. Though of redoing my posi unit with 3.55. A man can dream can't he.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:20 AM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts

I'm curious John (Plastic man) what "major" issues you and Bill encountered with the TCI install. The $1680 price tag makes it real appealing to me especially since it is one of the few coil spring setups....(which I'm more comfortable with)

I am also curious what provision was made for the radiator support....I'd like to fab everything up without the body on if I did it ...and that might be an issue without reference points..

I would also be interested if the ride height looks pretty close to the old suspension...seems like I remembering that it sat about an inch lower or something.

Of course I know what you mean about playing with the springs.....just a general observation.

best regards...Stan M.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:31 PM
2win screw
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default martz IFS fittement offer :)

Tell you guys what...if all of you want to make a gracious contribution to my 1962 restomod fund i will buy this front end and install it this weekend and tell you what modifications i had to make !!!! I am currently looking to install this front end just to make room for my headers if you can believe that. We stuffed a 454 in there and the steering column just wont cut us any slack ! So again, i accept money orders, cash.....no personal checks...company checks are fine!!
Old 07-27-2007, 12:39 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

What a great idea, my company check is in the mail....heh heh!

Best regards...Stan M.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:41 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by INMYBLOOD
Herb with all the trouble ummmm broken rear parts I've had latley that 9" set up is starting to look really good. There's a guy in my area looking for a front end. Maybe I could be one of the first to do the Martz since they are so close. Just pulled open my extra 010 engine. Clean .030 over four bolt main. I'd like to see a IFS and maybe a 383 while the engine is out. Though of redoing my posi unit with 3.55. A man can dream can't he.
the Ford 9" I ordered with a 3.55 posi and the motor in my posting is a 383 stroker......too funny.....
Old 07-27-2007, 12:51 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 528 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by Stan's Customs
I'm curious John (Plastic man) what "major" issues you and Bill encountered with the TCI install. The $1680 price tag makes it real appealing to me especially since it is one of the few coil spring setups....(which I'm more comfortable with)

I am also curious what provision was made for the radiator support....I'd like to fab everything up without the body on if I did it ...and that might be an issue without reference points..

I would also be interested if the ride height looks pretty close to the old suspension...seems like I remembering that it sat about an inch lower or something.

Of course I know what you mean about playing with the springs.....just a general observation.

best regards...Stan M.
Stan,

You have a PM.

Plasticman
Old 07-27-2007, 06:22 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

best regards...Stan M.
Stan
i went with the TCI IFS to save the bucks, figure it is at least $1K less than the Jim Meyer and even more than that for the Martz. BUT, it is probably a whole lot more work than the average person would be willing to tackle, or even be capable of doing. if it wasn't for John, i'd be in deep doo-doo...

there were no measurements that i can remember that are tied to the body for a TCI install, so i see no reason that the body would have to be on the frame. the inner fender wells will have to be relieved to clear the new spring towers, the upper a-frames, and shock top bolt as shown in my previous picture. this could probably be done as the body is being lowered back down on the frame.

we squared the front and rear axles by measuring axle centerlines on each side, and we used the original motor mount still attached to the engine/frame in order to locate and tack in the new side motor mounts.

not sure what the ride height is going to be. i like it high (as it originally was before the suspension change; 29 inches at the center of the front wheel opening, 28 inches at the rear), John likes his lower. normal ride height for the TCI suspension might be an inch, maybe 2, or so lower than stock. will definitely take a spring change to get it lower.....
Bill
Old 07-27-2007, 06:58 PM
jrm5657
Melting Slicks

Received 688 Likes on 385 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Sure would like to hear from someone with experience with the Martz chassis. The discussion is good, it is clear I won't use the TCI front.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:10 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 528 Likes on 378 Posts

I am also curious what provision was made for the radiator support...
best regards...Stan M.
Stan,

Bill purchased the Meyer's radiator support (which was stroke of genius, since TCI did not have anything, and told him that "guys just fab something up".).

Plasticman
Old 07-27-2007, 08:17 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

...ahh, that was a stroke of genius. wonder what it cost, that radiator support was an obvious pita to fab up.

Sorry JRM...didn't mean to side track your thread. I have been looking at all these bolt/weldins for a while.

Looks like there is a considerable amouint of work with them all. The issue of trimming the inner fender skirt is a moot point and easy to do...certainly easier than many of the things that are required to install any of the systems to begin with. The originality is altered and will likely remain that way forever so a little trimming won't affect the value or anything. I don't like the lowered upper A arm position of the Martz system because I can't see how that can not effect the suspension to some degree...and it's so uncommon, I'm not sure that it would be a good effect. Maybe it would be fine....like many things it looks good on paper. But it could be an expensive experiment. Once you get by the trimming of the inner fender panel the Meyer system is a tried and tested ...well known application ...and as quality IFS and as there is out there ....and there are many around to testify to the qualityand ease of installation (like first gear)..

I don't mind gambling the money as much as the labor...since my knees are bad and I'd hate to do it twice. (but I love to save a grand like Bill if I can get around the small issues)

I'm sure these things have crossed your mind is why you are searching for someone with first hand experience with the Martz system.

If you are planning on changing the rearend too...perhaps a complete frame change like Billy Dawson's Corvette Correction would be a consideration...I would love to have one sitting in my shop right now. Might work out close to the same money once all the small things are tallied up with a bolt in IFS...especially with the additional cost of a 9" and a 4 link, etc. etc. The plan I considered was similar in cost ....all things considered...best of the best of course....regarding the IFS bolt ins...Perhaps firstgear can tell you what it wound up costing to do his frame mods, then you would have an first hand idea.

My 2cents...

Best regards...Stan M.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:08 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Default The Belts Are On.....

and i too apologize to JRM; your question seems to have expanded into a discussion of whatever IFS systems are available (and there are far more than we've scratched the surface on, but they all seem to be variations of the same 2 themes, Jim Meyer and the Mustang II adaptations).

my search started from the basic desire to have power steering; i found there are 3 ways at this time: 1) a new front suspension utilizing rack & pinion, 2) a conversion to the C2 slave cylinder type (made by Cranes Corvette, and VERY pricey...), 3) a home built system.

that having been said:

the smaller balancer has been installed, and the belts are on... the light at the end of the tunnel is getting bigger and brighter...

Bill
Old 07-27-2007, 09:41 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by wmf62
the light at the end of the tunnel is getting bigger and brighter...

Bill
please pass the light.....it is still very dark here,.... made a punch list, crap it is over 82 items....with easy tasks such as install soft top and bows or install windshield....UGH...please pass a BRIGHT LIGHT!!!
Old 07-27-2007, 09:52 PM
jrm5657
Melting Slicks

Received 688 Likes on 385 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

No apologies needed, just keep the discussion going. I have an old 57 sitting here just begging to be a street rod. I realize cutting the inner fenders is not difficult to do, I just don't want to do it!! Ya never know, 30 years from now, our kids and grandkids will be putting these cars back to original and wondering why we modified them. Look at all the 50's and 60's customs with flares, hood scoops and button tuck interiors. That was the thing to do at the time, and know everybody turns their noses at them...
Old 07-27-2007, 10:30 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

..yep you may be right. I wonder about that a lot.

Of course if they knew what shape some of them were in when we got 'em they might be amazed that we got them going at all.

I hate to see a unhit restorable get the resto-mod treatment...however my basket heap is lucky to be alive so anything I do will only make it better.....and resto -hot rod will likely be route I take.

Unless I just can't get the coins together I'll probablyy do a Dawson frame. Seems like just about when I get ready to take the plunge, something happens...

I just started work on my mother's final home next to me 2 weeks ago....landscaping that is. Get 'er tore up real good, point of no return. The we break the ring gear carrier in my Backhoe transaxle... close to $5,000 down the drain (my Corvette stash of course).

So the IFS starts looking better again...heh heh!

It's all good...just having one is bragging rights....tickled to be as blessed as I am.

Good luck on your choice....

Best regards...StanM.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:05 PM
Loren Smith
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by jrm5657
No apologies needed, just keep the discussion going. I have an old 57 sitting here just begging to be a street rod. I realize cutting the inner fenders is not difficult to do, I just don't want to do it!! Ya never know, 30 years from now, our kids and grandkids will be putting these cars back to original and wondering why we modified them. Look at all the 50's and 60's customs with flares, hood scoops and button tuck interiors. That was the thing to do at the time, and know everybody turns their noses at them...
Just save your cutouts, they would be easy to glass back in.

Get notified of new replies

To Martz Chassis C1 front suspension

Old 07-27-2007, 11:21 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

wmf62 Bill you have a PM...Stan
Old 07-28-2007, 03:43 AM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by jrm5657
there was no alternative to cutting the inner fender panels at the time i started accumulating stuff for this conversion almost a year ago. it pained me to have to cut the panels, but it had to be done.....

the steering (as in parking...) on a C1 sux so bad that no one in their right mind would go back to standard suspension and steering once they've had power; same thing for a/c. my car is so much more fun to drive now (granted, i haven't tried the PS; but i have HIGH hopes...) i now hope to be able to drive the car until the day i die (at 100+ )

and another advantage is that the BIG steering wheel can be replaced with something that us old fat people can get behind.

and remember, NOTHING can't be undone, just takes a little work;

Bill

Last edited by wmf62; 07-28-2007 at 03:46 AM.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:12 PM
deanoshiro
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chassis

Herb, John and Bill:

Nice clean job on this conversion. Nice finish product. Great stance!

Love the motor and overall looks of the car(s).

I feel you car(s) is worth a great deal more than a stock C1 would bring!

dso

Last edited by deanoshiro; 07-28-2007 at 01:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Martz Chassis C1 front suspension