C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EGR/TVS switch question

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 04:27 PM
Danny76
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGR/TVS switch question

Hi all,

I'm in the process of working on all of the Bubba'd parts of my 76. I've had it for a month and my garage is always extremely smelly from gas, and I haven't even driven it much. I noticed bubba plugged the vapor canister and there wasn't a vented gas cap, so that was probably part of the problem....problem fixed.

I also noticed that Bubba stuck a bolt in the line from the EGR to carb and the hole for the TVS switch was plugged. I decided to just hook the EGR back up with the TVS switch. Just got the switch, so my question is, looking at my picture, is this the correct hole? I managed to get the plug off but I wasn't expecting coolant to spray out. I just want to make sure I hook this up correctly before ruining anything.

Thanks!!

Old 11-06-2016, 04:58 PM
Danny76
Instructor

Nevermind. I found some good pictures and saw that I am at the right spot, however the damn TVS switch I got doesn't fit!! Ugh. It says it's correct online, but it's too big. Almost makes me think it's the EFE for the other hole, but it shows TVS. Anybody had this issue???
Old 11-06-2016, 05:45 PM
bmotojoe
Safety Car

Received 1,316 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny76
Nevermind. I found some good pictures and saw that I am at the right spot, however the damn TVS switch I got doesn't fit!! Ugh. It says it's correct online, but it's too big. Almost makes me think it's the EFE for the other hole, but it shows TVS. Anybody had this issue???
The EFE-TVS switch is 1/2" NPT and does fit in the thermostat housing. The lower port is exhaust. The EGR-TVS is 3/8" NPT and fits in the intake where you removed the plug. Picture of the originals off my 77.

Old 11-06-2016, 06:24 PM
Danny76
Instructor

Ok, I'm very confused now. That's what this one says it is...3/8". But it's too large to fit. I don't get it. smh

Old 11-06-2016, 07:01 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,323 Posts

KEEP IN MIND....that NOT all of these Temperature Vacuum Switches (TVS) are the same. I do know that the one you need.....regardless of the size of threads.

The correct TVS for this scenario MUST BE SO THAT... you CANNOT blow air through it when you connect a hose to one of the ports when it is NOT HOT or heated up. When it gets heated up ...the switch will then allow PORTED VACUUM from your carb to allow the EGR to work. BECAUSE you are not supposed to have any EGR at idle.

DUB
Old 11-06-2016, 07:08 PM
Danny76
Instructor

Thanks for the explanation DUB. I need to find the correct one now. My project for the weekend was only half productive. Sigh.
Old 11-07-2016, 04:12 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 726 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny76
There is a similar discussion about EGR/EFE TVS switches in the general discussion forum. I posted this schematic there but this may be helpful

The following users liked this post:
Danny76 (11-08-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To EGR/TVS switch question

Quick Reply: EGR/TVS switch question