C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Brake Booster internal rod adjustment, help.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 02:44 PM
krackenvette
Race Director

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

Default Brake Booster internal rod adjustment, help.

93 Corvette LT1 Auto and booster was cracked. Changed it out. Pedal seems stiffer, brakes work fine, just harder to press down.
Have had the brake pads and rotors for years, never felt this way till booster cracked. and pedal got super hard with no assist. Now just feels as if the there is very little travel, and was curious if it was the rod inside. See picture..and 10mm bolt head for rod and its position right now.

Last edited by krackenvette; 01-20-2021 at 08:32 PM.
Old 12-11-2016, 04:42 PM
xrav22
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by krackenvette
93 Corvette LT1 Auto and booster was cracked. Changed it out. Pedal seems stiffer, brakes work fine, just harder to press down.
Have had the brake pads and rotors for years, never felt this way till booster cracked. and pedal got super hard with no assist. Now just feels as if the there is very little travel, and was curious if it was the rod inside. See picture..and 10mm bolt head for rod and its position right now.
I bought a new booster and it said on the box they come pre adjusted, and it seemed fine. I haven't touched it. On the other hand do you have the booster vacume hooked up tight, that supplies the assist. Mabey you got a bad booster it could happen.
Good luck
Old 12-11-2016, 05:46 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

I just put a booster in and done it several times. That adjustment in picture looks about correct. Jack up the left wheel till it’s just off the ground and bolt up the master. See if the wheel spins freely (it should). Have someone press the pedal abut ¼ inch at a time till you feel brake just starts to drag. It should move about an inch or so (judgment call) till you feel the brake grab the wheel.

There needs to be about 1/8 clearance for heat expansion or the brakes will start to drag when things get hot under hood especially in summer.
The following users liked this post:
krackenvette (12-11-2016)
Old 12-11-2016, 06:21 PM
krackenvette
Race Director

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

I do have low vacuum , 16Hg at idle, 900RPM with 2800 stall in gear..
But, it never has felt good as it was when new..
Old 12-12-2016, 01:42 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Here's an easy way to check for the correct adjustment of your m/c pushrod length:
1. Hood open. Remove your m/c reservoir caps.
2. Look in the bottom of the reservoir for the small vent holes/ports that go into the cylinder.
3. With engine off, gently press on the brake pedal. You should see a small flow/"squirt" of fluid from the first vent hole/port. This will cause a disturbance in the surface of the fluid.
4. This "squirt" should be seen within the first half inch of pedal travel. If there is no "squirt", your pushrod is too long, which may cause your brakes to drag when they get hot.
5. If the pedal moves more than a half inch before the "squirt", your pushrod is too short, which will cause the pedal to go too close to the floor during hard braking.

I can do this test in my 'vette while standing with the door open, with one foot on the brake pedal, and watching the surface of the brake fluid in the reservoir.

The following users liked this post:
krackenvette (12-12-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Booster internal rod adjustment, help.

Quick Reply: Brake Booster internal rod adjustment, help.