Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

C5 amp grounding location

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 10:58 PM
mcgilles
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default C5 amp grounding location

the general sticky says:

Where is the best place to ground my amplifier?
you can ground your amp to a screw/bolt that holds the rear middle compartment to the frame.

I am about to add an amplifier to the rear wall of my C5's hatch area. how do I find the screw/bolts which hold the rear middle compartment to the frame referenced above? anyone have a picture of this location?

thanks!
Old 01-22-2008, 11:32 PM
0TheRadioFlyer97
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Drill a hole in the rear wall slightly larger than the ground wire you're using. Ideally this hole should be in the corner between rear wall sections and just above the floor. (where the blue and silver speaker wire is in the pic below) Now thread the wire through the wall making sure to use a gromet.

Now take out the inside taillight on the side you decided to drill the hole. Inside the rear bumper, you can thread the wire to a good frame grounding point.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:16 PM
mcgilles
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TheRadioFlyer
Drill a hole in the rear wall slightly larger than the ground wire you're using. Ideally this hole should be in the corner between rear wall sections and just above the floor. (where the blue and silver speaker wire is in the pic below) Now thread the wire through the wall making sure to use a gromet.

Now take out the inside taillight on the side you decided to drill the hole. Inside the rear bumper, you can thread the wire to a good frame grounding point.
wouldn't corrosion be a problem if you go outside the water tight (relatively) section of the car?
Old 01-23-2008, 01:19 PM
mcgilles
Melting Slicks

how about one of the bolts which holds the trunk latch assembly to the wall? any chance there would be a good ground there?
Old 01-23-2008, 01:21 PM
Fasthotrod
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I ran my power/ground wiring into my right rear storage compartment. I dropped a ground down out of the compartment and tied to a factory ground beside the upper A-Arm.

I have had ZERO issues with the elements getting into my car.

In this picture, you can see the ground wire dropping out of the bottom of the storage bin and going up to the ground lug. This picture is taken from the right rear wheel well area.

Hope this helps.

Mark
Old 01-23-2008, 01:22 PM
Fasthotrod
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mcgiles
how about one of the bolts which holds the trunk latch assembly to the wall? any chance there would be a good ground there?
I believe that the back wall is all fiberglass... no ground up there if I remember correctly.

Mark
Old 01-23-2008, 01:33 PM
0TheRadioFlyer97
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Fasthotrod
I believe that the back wall is all fiberglass... no ground up there if I remember correctly.

Mark
no grounds there.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:44 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 849 Likes on 725 Posts

I just drilled a hole through the floor into the frame and screwed a big hex-head self tapping metal screw into the frame. I drilled it right beside the centre compartment in the low spot of the floor.

Peter
Old 01-24-2008, 12:06 AM
LF97C5Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts

OK - so wait, you HAVE to drill a hole through your car if you don't want to bolt it to the seat!?!?!

-Dan

Get notified of new replies

To C5 amp grounding location

Quick Reply: C5 amp grounding location