Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

C5 door panel question

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 06:35 PM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Received 632 Likes on 347 Posts

Default C5 door panel question

What are the pros/cons of removing the styrafoam and soundloc in the C5 door and replacing it with a solid piece (say 1/2" MDF) I saw a guy do this in his C6 and was curious about the reasoning behind that
Old 01-18-2012, 06:38 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

Old 01-18-2012, 11:46 PM
Kale
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

didn't make a damn bit of difference for me. The panel is **** for stiffness anyway, adding a board at the back isn't going to fix that.

c6 a bit better I think, due to the design of the panel.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:45 AM
Gadget01
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by theradioflyer
What are the pros/cons of removing the styrafoam and soundloc in the C5 door and replacing it with a solid piece (say 1/2" MDF) I saw a guy do this in his C6 and was curious about the reasoning behind that
Sealing the door opening with MDF will improve bass response since styrofoam and plastic are poor materials for a speaker enclosure. MDF on its own will soak up water and resemble soggy breakfast cereal unless sealed/treated properly. Also, that gasket material rots and crumbles after a while- it did in mine anyways.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:04 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 636 Likes on 342 Posts

When I had my C5, I pulled off the foam, and reglued it, with a heavy coat of 3M contact cement. Then I made sure the tabs for the speaker covers were pressed down as tight as they would go and put silicone on them.
I then put 3/16 weatherstripping in between the panel pins on the door itself. That really helped tighten up the panel on the door.
Absolutely no vibration in the next 7 years I had the car. I could pay some very deep bass and didn't hear any vibration at all.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:15 AM
KCvetteowner
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My driver door developed a squeak against the styrafoam so I pulled it out and sandwiched some sticky backed vibration deadening material over the area along with some sound deadening material.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:22 PM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Received 632 Likes on 347 Posts

Hmm, perhaps a sheet of plastic with sound deadening material instead of MDF....

I've gotta go back in there anyway to re-do the acoustic foam and a few door retainers that broke.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 door panel question

Quick Reply: C5 door panel question