Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Pioneer head unit in a C6?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2022, 07:31 PM
BC70
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Pioneer head unit in a C6?

I'm not a fan of aftermarket head units but the C6 nav system is horrible so I gave in and ordered a Pioneer DMH-W2770NEX from Crutchfield's to install in my 2012 GS. It was delivered in one day. That was the only good thing so far.

I got the PAC RP5-GM11 and Metra 95-3304 dash kit with the head unit. I soldered the wiring and used marine shrink wrap so it's ready to install. I'm still waiting on a few other parts but it'll be a few more days and since I had time today, I thought I'd install just the head unit today and install the backup camera and heat shield later when the MGW comes in. The dash kit does not fit at all w/o at least 1/8" to 1/4" gap around the radio. I called them and they're sending a double din dash kit for single din radios. If that doesn't fit, I'll have to spend time with a dremel to make one of these kits fit.

Anyone else with a Pioneer head unit in their C6? How was the fit?

Old 08-09-2022, 07:57 PM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,818 Likes on 1,206 Posts

Mine fits perfectly. there's a top and a bottom to the dash kit, the rounded corners go on top.

Last edited by madsonp; 08-09-2022 at 08:03 PM.
Old 08-10-2022, 01:12 AM
BC70
Intermediate

This is as far forward as the HU goes with the mounting holes on the sides. I had the dash kit on the HU w/o the protective film before and put it back on so I don't damage the screen.

Old 08-10-2022, 01:16 AM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BC70
This is as far forward as the HU goes with the mounting holes on the sides. I had the dash kit on the HU w/o the protective film before and put it back on so I don't damage the screen.

Huh, that's strange, I've never seen one do that. Could you possible ream out the holes on the trim plate to allow the head unit to slide forward a little bit more ?
Old 08-10-2022, 01:23 AM
BC70
Intermediate

Originally Posted by madsonp
Huh, that's strange, I've never seen one do that. Could you possible ream out the holes on the trim plate to allow the head unit to slide forward a little bit more ?
It's a very new model. The main reason I went with it was for the wireless Android Auto (and wireless CarPlay). The side holes are not standard and if I have it lined up for 2 screws on each side, there is a 1/8" to 1/4" gap all around the bezel. As annoyed as I was, Crutchfield overnighted a new bezel for me to try so i can't really blame them for anything. Pioneer screwed up the holes and front bezel design. I'm a little pissed at Crutchfield because I ordered speakers that were supposed to work with the Bose amps but didn't and it's not worth returning even though they showed the speakers work with the Bose amps.
Old 08-10-2022, 01:34 AM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

It's a very new model. The main reason I went with it was for the wireless Android Auto (and wireless CarPlay). The side holes are not standard and if I have it lined up for 2 screws on each side, there is a 1/8" to 1/4" gap all around the bezel. As annoyed as I was, Crutchfield overnighted a new bezel for me to try so i can't really blame them for anything. Pioneer screwed up the holes and front bezel design. I'm a little pissed at Crutchfield because I ordered speakers that were supposed to work with the Bose amps but didn't and it's not worth returning even though they showed the speakers work with the Bose amps.
Well hopefully the new face plate will work for you. Personally if I was going to change the speakers I'd go with something else and a different amp to power them. I'm personally still running the stock amp and speakers, with the exception of the rear speakers, in their place I'm running a subwoofer I built and I power it off a separate amp, adding a subwoofer really improves the sound by adding bass these cars lack. Here's a couple of photos of the sub in my vert.

The following 2 users liked this post by madsonp:
BC70 (08-10-2022), dmyers (01-26-2023)
Old 08-10-2022, 07:58 AM
BC70
Intermediate

The reason for the speaker purchase was because the driver's side 10" speaker was blown. I ended up gluing the center piece back and reinstalling it and it works fine now.
Old 08-10-2022, 06:45 PM
BC70
Intermediate

The new bezel came in and fits great but the plastic texture doesn't match. Oh well. Hopefully it's not too noticeable when it's installed in the car. Backup camera came in today and heatshield should be here tomorrow so I might install it tomorrow night.

Old 08-10-2022, 07:32 PM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

The new bezel came in and fits great but the plastic texture doesn't match. Oh well. Hopefully it's not too noticeable when it's installed in the car. Backup camera came in today and heatshield should be here tomorrow so I might install it tomorrow night.
That looks better
The following users liked this post:
NBVette_Canada (08-11-2022)
Old 08-11-2022, 12:40 AM
BC70
Intermediate

The new bezel looks 1000x better than that POS they originally sent. The texture isn't the same but it doesn't look out of place, IMO. I got a USB A to USB mini so the USB port in the center console works great. I had a known good (high quality data cable) USB Mini cable that plugged into the part that snaps into the center console. Back in the day, USB cables weren't all created equally and there were charger only or data only cables. Standards were also more of a suggestion which is why some stuff didn't work right. I use USB drives in my truck and corvette for music (one for each) but now that I have wireless Android Auto, I might have to play with Spotify and Musicolet. Sound quality is very good, definitely better than the stock head unit.

I played with Android Auto for a few mins and it's not bad but I still need to figure it out to see if it's actually useful. I use Waze on my phone only when I hit traffic, otherwise I use the GPS in my car but now that it's on the in-dash screen, I'll probably use it more. I also played with Maps when the crap nav had issues with an address (never had an issue with the factory nav in my 2010 F150). I recently moved to PA so I've relied on my nav in both vehicles and this happened more often that it should in the vette.

I still need to wire the mic up to the A pillar and install the backup camera but the wire is attached and in the glove box for now. Putting it into R triggers the backup camera (but no pic since it's not installed/connected). I installed the GPS antenna above the vents and it seems to be working but I haven't pulled out of the garage. I'm glad the new bezel looks decent but I'll have to go for a drive before I can say for sure.

The following 2 users liked this post by BC70:
madsonp (08-11-2022), NBVette_Canada (08-11-2022)
Old 08-11-2022, 09:51 AM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

The reason for the speaker purchase was because the driver's side 10" speaker was blown. I ended up gluing the center piece back and reinstalling it and it works fine now.
If you're interested in replacing the stock speaker, I'm sure you could find some in the "C6 Parts For Sale/Wanted" section of this forum. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...le-wanted-115/
Old 08-11-2022, 09:53 AM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

The new bezel looks 1000x better than that POS they originally sent. The texture isn't the same but it doesn't look out of place, IMO. I got a USB A to USB mini so the USB port in the center console works great. I had a known good (high quality data cable) USB Mini cable that plugged into the part that snaps into the center console. Back in the day, USB cables weren't all created equally and there were charger only or data only cables. Standards were also more of a suggestion which is why some stuff didn't work right. I use USB drives in my truck and corvette for music (one for each) but now that I have wireless Android Auto, I might have to play with Spotify and Musicolet. Sound quality is very good, definitely better than the stock head unit.

I played with Android Auto for a few mins and it's not bad but I still need to figure it out to see if it's actually useful. I use Waze on my phone only when I hit traffic, otherwise I use the GPS in my car but now that it's on the in-dash screen, I'll probably use it more. I also played with Maps when the crap nav had issues with an address (never had an issue with the factory nav in my 2010 F150). I recently moved to PA so I've relied on my nav in both vehicles and this happened more often that it should in the vette.

I still need to wire the mic up to the A pillar and install the backup camera but the wire is attached and in the glove box for now. Putting it into R triggers the backup camera (but no pic since it's not installed/connected). I installed the GPS antenna above the vents and it seems to be working but I haven't pulled out of the garage. I'm glad the new bezel looks decent but I'll have to go for a drive before I can say for sure.
You're right, the dash kit is a little different, but I think it looks fine from your photo.
Old 08-11-2022, 12:34 PM
BC70
Intermediate

If you're interested in replacing the stock speaker, I'm sure you could find some in the "C6 Parts For Sale/Wanted" section of this forum. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...le-wanted-115/
The reason for the purchase was because the driver's side was blown. After replacing it, I saw the problem with the original speaker and siliconed it back. The new speakers didn't have the correct ohm rating so I put the original fixed speaker back and it's fine now. I don't want/need audiophile quality sound but a blown speaker sucks. I'm good with the stock Bose speakers now.
Old 08-11-2022, 12:37 PM
BC70
Intermediate

You're right, the dash kit is a little different, but I think it looks fine from your photo.
It's textured and doesn't show up as well in the pic but it's not horrible but definitely different than the hvac panel.
Old 08-11-2022, 04:43 PM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 180 Posts

I know on my kenwood I had to put the L brackets on the head unit on the opposite side that was labeled on the bracket

R had to be put on the Left side and L had to be put on the right side. If I didn't do that none of the holes lined up. That is the same metra you listed initially. Mine may have been a fluke, but they were definitely mislabeled.

UNLESS! They were talking stage left and stage right.
Old 08-11-2022, 05:11 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 672 Likes on 489 Posts

Originally Posted by SPSandman
I know on my kenwood I had to put the L brackets on the head unit on the opposite side that was labeled on the bracket

R had to be put on the Left side and L had to be put on the right side. If I didn't do that none of the holes lined up. That is the same metra you listed initially. Mine may have been a fluke, but they were definitely mislabeled.

Are you sure your bezel isn't upside-down?
Old 08-11-2022, 05:39 PM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by torquetube
positive. The straight corners are on the bottom, the curves are on the top.

Get notified of new replies

To Pioneer head unit in a C6?

Old 08-11-2022, 05:40 PM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by torquetube
We already covered that, see post #2
Old 08-11-2022, 07:07 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 672 Likes on 489 Posts

We already covered that, see post #2
I'm not referring to the OP's install. I was replying to SPSandman, who said his brackets were mislabeled.
Old 08-11-2022, 10:04 PM
BC70
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SPSandman

There's only one way they work so it's stage left and stage right.
The new kit looks much better but the texture is a little off. Not as noticeable while driving today in the sun but I wasn't really paying attention to it so I guess it's not glaringly mismatched. Sound is great but I'm little goofy things about the radio that's more annoying than anything else. I guess that's expected at this price point.

I'm not crazy about the backup cam being off center but it's not bad and much better than not having one at all

Quick Reply: Pioneer head unit in a C6?