Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autocross and DE Liability

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 10:34 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Default Autocross and DE Liability

This is a good article. You might not agree with it - but you need to be aware of the issues involved. It will do no good to turn this into a lawyer bashing thread. And save all of the political rhetoric about personal responsibility. Just think about things before you loan your car out to someone at an event.

http://www.sportscarmarket.com/articles/archives/1409

Richard Newton

Autocross Performance Handbook

Corvette C5 Performance Projects: 1997-2004
Old 02-19-2008, 12:02 PM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Richard,

It's not just loaning your car to someone. Any time you take your car to a track event, chances are your auto insurance will not provide coverage, either for property damage or liability. The exclusions have been getting broader and broader. Many policies exclude coverage of any "timed event". This would likely include autocrosses as well as HPDE, time trials and other track events, whether they are in a parking lot or on an actual race track.

And just because you sign a waiver form, don't expect that it will protect you. Many states, like California and New York, say that those "anticipatory waivers" are ineffective. If you get tangled up in an incident on the track, you could easily find yourself in the middle of a lawsuit without insurance coverage.

There are now several insurance companies selling race liability insurance. It's not cheap, but it's better than going bare-back while on the track. I've seen a collision policy as well, but the cost is high and it has a high deductible ($5K on the one I was looking at).

If you are doing track events, HPDE or other activities that might lead to liability that is excluded from your other insurance coverage, considering a race policy might be well worth the cost. I'm seriously considering it for this season.

Steve
Old 02-19-2008, 02:20 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

parked cars were hit at a PDA event last year. They were waiting to go out in the next group mow everyone is held way back!
Old 02-19-2008, 10:10 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by FasterIsBetter
Richard,

...Many policies exclude coverage of any "timed event". This would likely include autocrosses as well as HPDE,...
Steve
I've done maybe 20-30 DE's and none, not one has been a timed event...for that very reason you state.

DE's teach owner's of high performance cars to drive them in a controlled environment with instructors at their side.

Would insurance companies rather people get their "need for speed" on public highways? of course not.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:12 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,109 Likes on 723 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary2KC5
I've done maybe 20-30 DE's and none, not one has been a timed event...for that very reason you state.

DE's teach owner's of high performance cars to drive them in a controlled environment with instructors at their side.

Would insurance companies rather people get their "need for speed" on public highways? of course not.
I understand your argument. Unfortunately, the insurance companies are not listening. Instead, State Farm in Tn. sent out a disclaimer to all customers a year or so ago stating no coverage for accident occuring on a track used for racing or high speed driving. One does not have to be racing, one does not have to be in the process of being timed, one does not even have to exceed normal highway speeds, but if you even hit a deer on a race track while simply operating by yourself on the track you ARE NOT covered under any State Farm policy in Tennessee.
PERIOD. Therefore, get track insurance. Also, look to heacock for towing insurance. Oh yeah, one's umbrella policy probably does not cover you on the racetrack grounds either. Mine doesn't.

Get notified of new replies

To Autocross and DE Liability

Quick Reply: Autocross and DE Liability