Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kirkey Seat Review

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 07:35 AM
Rob Willis
Safety Car

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

So, the intermediate "road race" Kirkey version doesn't have pre-drilled holes for mounting? How hard is this to do?

6'2", ~190lbs, and a 32 inch waist. 16 or a 17 version?
Old 09-01-2008, 10:44 AM
Hardcorvette
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Anyone using an Evo 2 Plus in their C5? Any problems getting it to fit in without permanently removing/modifying the interior panels?
Old 09-01-2008, 12:24 PM
kam
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshS
We do not have mounts for the C4 yet. But, it is something that I will investigate next week.

I'm glad I could help! Please let me know if you have any other questions!
I am also very interested in mounts for a C4. I realize that it can be expensive to design a product for an older car, but wish someone would have one the quality of what you have for the newer cars.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:02 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 9,045 Likes on 5,389 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob Willis
So, the intermediate "road race" Kirkey version doesn't have pre-drilled holes for mounting? How hard is this to do?

6'2", ~190lbs, and a 32 inch waist. 16 or a 17 version?
Sit on a wood chair and have somebody measure across your butt with a yard stick to see how wide you are to see which seat you need.

The best way to mount a race seat is with side mounts. It isn't hard to drill holes in the seat side. I installed an Ultrashield in my car with Gary's mounts on the driver's side and I was able to drill the holes and get the seat fit into the car. As with anything else once I drove the car on the track I decided I needed to move the seat to better fit me and a couple of more holes allowed me to pivot it to where I needed it.

The key thing with the seat is to get the correct layback. I bought mine with a 20 degree layback and am sorry I didn't get the 10 degree. At 5' 10" I am reclined to far back and my arms are stretched to far out. However, if I pivot the seat forward I can't get into the car. Another problem with this layback is getting to the floor mounting bolts at the rear of the seat. The inside back bolt is out of sight to me and I tighten it by feel.

I am installing a 10 degree layback on the passenger side now and it is much better in my opinion. I can rotate it high enough in the front that my butt is caught by the seat and my legs are supported by it and the seat back is right where it needs to be.

The seat is mounted on Vette manual sliders so the mounts clear the lateral G sensor on the floor and I have had people as tall as 6' 2" in it and they say it feels good. Using Gary's mounts and moving the G sensor you could gain a couple of inches headroom.

Another thing to consider is a lot of groups are requiring seats be installed according to manufacturers instructions. Both Kirkey and Ultrashield state the seat back should be hard fastened to the rollcage, bar or some other hard part of the car. The guy helping with my install has welded a plate along the rollbar and there will be two arms coming from the seat that get pinned to the plate.

Bill
Old 09-01-2008, 02:09 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by kam
I am also very interested in mounts for a C4. I realize that it can be expensive to design a product for an older car, but wish someone would have one the quality of what you have for the newer cars.
We have them in stock for C4's, how many do you want? As compared to any other seat rails (C4, C5, C6, C6Z, ZR1), ours will give you about 4 inches more headroom and are considerably stiffer than ANY others. Please specify year.

Quick Reply: Kirkey Seat Review