Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SKF bearings (C4) Where do I get them???

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 10:43 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

The issue is 2 fold (at least). First, the C4's are a (very) limited market for high end parts that are not common to other cars, so no vendor wants to invest in them. Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, C4 parts cost just as much as C5/C5 parts but it seems that so many C4 guys think that they should be cheaper since the car is not worth as much as a C6ZO6, when in fact, the opposite is true due to a much smaller volume. I have sold more Hardbars yesterday and this morning for C5's and C6's than a years worth of C4 bars. I could not believe on another Corvette site that one guy wanted Banski to provide him the drawings for his beautiful $350 C4 rear suspension kit becaue he was "too poor" to purchase it. That does not motivate vendors to produce things.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:45 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoffman
The issue is 2 fold (at least). First, the C4's are a (very) limited market for high end parts that are not common to other cars, so no vendor wants to invest in them. Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, C4 parts cost just as much as C5/C5 parts but it seems that so many C4 guys think that they should be cheaper since the car is not worth as much as a C6ZO6, when in fact, the opposite is true due to a much smaller volume. I have sold more Hardbars yesterday and this morning for C5's and C6's than a years worth of C4 bars. I could not believe on another Corvette site that one guy wanted Banski to provide him the drawings for his beautiful $350 C4 rear suspension kit becaue he was "too poor" to purchase it. That does not motivate vendors to produce things.
I agree with that and completely understand it. The part that is so unbelievable to me is that when the C4 was the state of the art car than none of this was developed. It wasn't that long ago that there were C4s racing all over the place in more series than I can count and apparently nobody ever thought that something like wheel bearings that last a day was a problem. I know tires have improved as well as a number of other contributing factors but it just seems crazy to me. In only a year of owning this car, I can't count the number of times that I have had to fabricate a relatively common part because nothing was available, even though the same parts are there for about every other car on earth. In fact, I can't think of a single non OEM type of part that I have looked for that was actually made to be a specific fit for a C4.
I see how much there is available for the C5/C6 and guess I was just naive to a point to think that there was at least a little of the same support for C4s out there.

AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHH
Old 08-25-2009, 01:25 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,884 Likes on 979 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by redls1gto
I agree with that and completely understand it. The part that is so unbelievable to me is that when the C4 was the state of the art car than none of this was developed. It wasn't that long ago that there were C4s racing all over the place in more series than I can count and apparently nobody ever thought that something like wheel bearings that last a day was a problem. I know tires have improved as well as a number of other contributing factors but it just seems crazy to me. In only a year of owning this car, I can't count the number of times that I have had to fabricate a relatively common part because nothing was available, even though the same parts are there for about every other car on earth. In fact, I can't think of a single non OEM type of part that I have looked for that was actually made to be a specific fit for a C4.
I see how much there is available for the C5/C6 and guess I was just naive to a point to think that there was at least a little of the same support for C4s out there.

AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHH
This is why I am leaning towards making the C4 a cool hot rod and finding a C5/6 for a track car in the future.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:01 PM
TJM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The issue is 2 fold (at least). I could not believe on another Corvette site that one guy wanted Banski to provide him the drawings for his beautiful $350 C4 rear suspension kit becaue he was "too poor" to purchase it. That does not motivate vendors to produce things.
HA!!

You must at least admire the ***** he must have to ask such an insulting question!! There is no way a corvette owner could be that naive.

TJM
Old 08-25-2009, 02:20 PM
TJM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kubs
This is why I am leaning towards making the C4 a cool hot rod and finding a C5/6 for a track car in the future.

I disagree, here's why; Guys like Mike will get a bug in their ....." ear " ..... and go build a better part.

Why? Because there will always be guys who want their cheap Chevy to run right up the ...... " ear " ...of those, Oh So Well Engineered, sanitary, Thoroughbred, Check book funded, Euro trash, Real sports cars " [ and I mean that in the nicest way ].

Corvette is like HIV once you get it, you got it!

TJM
Old 08-25-2009, 05:45 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

OK... let's see if I can sum this up a little bit.

FRONT:
-The only tapered bearings out there are the rebuildable ones that are currently $750 a pop.
-The Chinese replacement ones are garbage (no surprise)
-The only SKF that can be used are the fronts off of the F-body (BR930186)
-The other options are the HD ball bearing (Hardbar), and the made in USA OEM (corvetterecycling.com)

REAR:
Quite a few options listed in other threads but the leaders seem to be...
-NOS OEM, again from Corvetterecycling.com
-SKF from NAPA
-HD Tapered (hardbar)

Is there anything that I have missed??

For right now I'm way too cheap to be able to spring for the tapered which leaves me with a couple of options. Are the SKF F-bodies better than the NOS OEM?? It looks like I can get them for about the same price. It has OEM on it right now and they have lasted a LOOOOONG time. They are still good, but have just a little play. Thanks as always. I would be in the dark without the forum

Originally Posted by TJM
Why? Because there will always be guys who want their cheap Chevy to run right up the ...... " ear " ...of those, Oh So Well Engineered, sanitary, Thoroughbred, Check book funded, Euro trash, Real sports cars " [ and I mean that in the nicest way ].
I have to say that the most satisfying moment of my young "racing" career was getting a reluctant point by after being up the tail pipe of a 997 Porsche for almost 2 full laps at a track day in my cheap Chevy.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:10 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Well, we'll see how this goes... I found a deal on a pair of the SKF Camaro bearings and just ordered a pair. Can't hurt to try!
Old 08-26-2009, 12:41 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Well, we'll see how this goes... I found a deal on a pair of the SKF Camaro bearings and just ordered a pair. Can't hurt to try!
I was looking for bearings in the spring and went with Timken front and OEM Delco rear. I could not use F-body bearing cause of my ABS sensor on the '90 but I have been to two HPDE events, both with two drivers, and lots of street miles, and still no play. I am going to another this Friday so I will let you know how things hold up. I think its hit or miss with replacement bearings. I have heard of all SKF, Delco, Timken lasting a long time and Ive also heard that none of them last 1 track day. I hope yours last you!
Old 08-26-2009, 01:13 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 413 Likes on 339 Posts

I used a WBI bearing several years ago and it's still working well. I still use street tires though but at least the bearings last forever. Summit has the rear WBI bearing $120.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WBI-513020/

I thought they also had tapered but I've been reading that those are not holding up well.

They list the #'s here http://www.wheelbearingsinc.com/search.cfm maybe they would do a group buy?
Old 08-26-2009, 05:52 PM
lbs90ZR
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had National in front for 7 events so far and they were stamped national on the flange and the preload was so tight on them as compared to others I almost didn't get them. I've found National has different ones depending on where sold that aren't stamped with their logo which I had one like that and it lasted one day. Mid ohio's off brand lasted one day, but they can be disassembled with a nut on the spindle insted of the pressed on things the others have. I took the one off that wasn't ruined yet to disect it and maybe try regrease but haven't got around to that yet.

Have a Pepboys CR bearing and on the box it says an SKF company in fine print, but it's a spare and haven't tried it, so it's lasting a long time this way.........
Old 08-27-2009, 04:24 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Well... talk about fast! The UPS man brought me a present this afternoon. I've already pressed in a set of ARP studs. Waiting on the weekend to pull the old ones off and go about putting the new ones on.

Last edited by RedLS1GTO; 08-27-2009 at 04:27 PM.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:09 AM
TJM
Drifting

Nothing succeeds like a try. Be sure to update install.

What did you pay??????

I have burned up a few hours and the range in price is astounding Fronts range from $400 to $67.

Rears from $300 to $46.

All Ball bearing. Sounds like you get what you pay for. Maybe?

Trouble is which ones last, and which ones are over priced and don't last?

Hunting the Mfg. listings, there are quite a few. Made in India, China, US, and a few I can't even figure out?

This would be a good sticky to find which work and which don't.

TJM
Old 08-28-2009, 10:17 AM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

I paid $120 ea. from a company that isn't a vendor. (I can never figure out what I'm allowed to post and what I'm not). They actually showed up the next afternoon with no extra shipping charges. After I ordered them , they raised the price to $128. On the phone I was told that SKF had just upped their price. Looking at the box, it's pretty clear that they are actually SKF It might be a little while before I can give a good update, but I certainly will when the time comes. I should also add, it says both USA and Korea on the box. I did a little looking online and found that since 1995 a good portion of SKF bearings are produced at least in part in S. Korea.

There is a C5 sticky... mods, how about a C4 sticky in the AX/RR section???

Last edited by RedLS1GTO; 08-28-2009 at 10:21 AM.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:57 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Yes please
Old 08-28-2009, 05:50 PM
TJM
Drifting

I paid $120 ea. from a company that isn't a vendor. (I can never figure out what I'm allowed to post and what I'm not). They actually showed up the next afternoon with no extra shipping charges. After I ordered them , they raised the price to $128. On the phone I was told that SKF had just upped their price. Looking at the box, it's pretty clear that they are actually SKF It might be a little while before I can give a good update, but I certainly will when the time comes. I should also add, it says both USA and Korea on the box. I did a little looking online and found that since 1995 a good portion of SKF bearings are produced at least in part in S. Korea.

The sticky would be good. I would be willing to document what I buy, because I am going Ball bearing first to see what the deal is.

If we compare notes on brand and longevity, there might be an answer,... like SKF from US work or Cheap Ones from PTC don't break.. or...?? You get the idea.

I don't know it this breaks some Forum Holy Grail but there it is open and I am asking?

If we need Mike's roller bearing, then we can put him in business and the price will come down!!!

TJM
Old 08-29-2009, 02:14 AM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

There is no SKF bearing option for C4's. The SKF is the best out there, but is is C5/C6 only. The SKF are much stiffer ball bearings with thicker flanges (many folks on this forum have broken the OE flange). GM went with the angular contact ball bearings for rolling resistance reasons. Almost all race cars (T/A, NASCAR, etc) use tapered roller bearings.
SKF Hub Assembly 91-1996 Corvette front wheel bearing hub
Part Number: BR930065

SKF Hub Assembly 84-96 Corvette rear wheel bearing hub
Part Number: BR930024

Last edited by steve40th; 08-29-2009 at 04:34 AM.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:08 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by steve40th
SKF Hub Assembly 91-1996 Corvette front wheel bearing hub
Part Number: BR930065

SKF Hub Assembly 84-96 Corvette rear wheel bearing hub
Part Number: BR930024

Has anybody actually tried these fronts? I looked a LOT on here (and everywhere) and this is the first I have heard of a front SKF for a C4.

Get notified of new replies

To SKF bearings (C4) Where do I get them???

Old 08-31-2009, 08:59 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Has anybody actually tried these fronts? I looked a LOT on here (and everywhere) and this is the first I have heard of a front SKF for a C4.
When I was looking for bearings I came across the SKF part number on the NAPA website but I didnt think they were selling them anymore, and they didnt fit my '90. Other than that I thought they were just made for C5/6.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:27 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Checkers had them here in Hawaii, http://www.cskauto.com/
p.s. not cheap though

Last edited by steve40th; 08-31-2009 at 10:29 PM.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:17 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

UPDATE: A small one...

I started the job of replacing both front bearings as well as adding spindle ducts this afternoon. First off, contrary to popular belief there is absolutely zero drilling required to put the F-body bearings on the front. Somebody said it before (and was absolutely right) that all you had to do was put the bolts in from the back and thread them into the bearing flange just like you would put them on the F-body. I added the original lock nuts on top of them just for good measure as well as to hold the spindle ducts on. I'm trying to figure out how to route the ducting as we speak...

More to follow.

Quick Reply: SKF bearings (C4) Where do I get them???