Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap road race seats?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 10:46 PM
subtlez28
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap road race seats?

I'm researching seats for my LS1/C4 road race project. It currently has no seats or belts. I'm planing to run a pair of fixed back road race seats. I will definitily have 5 pt harnesses, and may also add stock belts if I need to for street legality (I'm looking into that).

This will be primarily a track car, but will be driven to and from the track, and occasionally for fun. So reclining, and even sliders are not required.

I'm leaning away from aluminum seats like Kirkey as I do not yet hve a cage and do not want to have to fab a back support.

Anyway, I'm wondering why the huge price difference between in names like Corbeau, Recaro, and Sparco vs the cheaper equivalents like Scat.

These SCAT seats sell for $125-250.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SCA-80-1700-61R/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SCA-80-1790-61/

Would I be better off looking for a set of used better name seats like:
http://www.sparcoracingusa.com/sparc...?productid=773

Like I said I need a pair, so if a cheaper seat could be bought at 1/2 the price, that will mean a lot of savings.

I assume the difference is weight and construction. Cheaper seats have steel frames, right?

How much weight are we talking? How much is the quality difference? Specifics would be helpful!

Basically, budget is and issue, but so is weight and quality. I'd love to hear from someone who has tried both directions. That is the beauty of the forum, learn form others mistakes or successes.

Thanks in advance
-Shaun-
Old 06-02-2010, 12:37 AM
stano
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by subtlez28
I'm researching seats for my LS1/C4 road race project. It currently has no seats or belts. I'm planing to run a pair of fixed back road race seats. I will definitily have 5 pt harnesses, and may also add stock belts if I need to for street legality (I'm looking into that).

This will be primarily a track car, but will be driven to and from the track, and occasionally for fun. So reclining, and even sliders are not required.

I'm leaning away from aluminum seats like Kirkey as I do not yet hve a cage and do not want to have to fab a back support.

Anyway, I'm wondering why the huge price difference between in names like Corbeau, Recaro, and Sparco vs the cheaper equivalents like Scat.

These SCAT seats sell for $125-250.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SCA-80-1700-61R/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SCA-80-1790-61/

Would I be better off looking for a set of used better name seats like:
http://www.sparcoracingusa.com/sparc...?productid=773

Like I said I need a pair, so if a cheaper seat could be bought at 1/2 the price, that will mean a lot of savings.

I assume the difference is weight and construction. Cheaper seats have steel frames, right?

How much weight are we talking? How much is the quality difference? Specifics would be helpful!

Basically, budget is and issue, but so is weight and quality. I'd love to hear from someone who has tried both directions. That is the beauty of the forum, learn form others mistakes or successes.

Thanks in advance
-Shaun-
Check out Subesports.com

They sell a few different brands at different price points. I've bought 3 race seats from them...Cobra Imola S. I have two of them with Schroth harnesses in my blue car in my avatar.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:13 AM
Git Er Dun
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could probably use a harness bar to attach the seat back braces too. Here's mine in my C4 track car (that occassionally drives on the street). I used the IO port seat back braces to my roll bar but a harness bar might work well enough.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:20 AM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you have a 10 cent head, buy a 10 cent helmet. DON'T cheap out on safety gear! You're only around once and the alternative is final. Buy the best stuff you can and hope you never need to find out why it was so expensive. /:\
Old 06-02-2010, 08:25 AM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by parkerracing
If you have a 10 cent head, buy a 10 cent helmet. DON'T cheap out on safety gear! You're only around once and the alternative is final. Buy the best stuff you can and hope you never need to find out why it was so expensive. /:\

Yea .. and you car needs 110 octane fuel too

So ... more cost = better .... don't think so, just look at the cost of what is called health care.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:14 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

You might want to be looking at seats that not only provide the support you need for track use but also for comfort for street driving. There are some folks here that have Corbeau A4 seats in their C4's and they fit. Corbeau, Sparco and other have different widths of seats and that has to be taken into account for your body size.

With the seats permanently mounted, it's easy to attach a seat back brace to a harness bar. Most seats have a provision for bracing. Get a good set of rails like the ones from Hardbar.

A good harness bar is a must at the very least. Make sure that the bar is at the right height to allow the shoulder straps to be horizontal as they go thru the seat back opening or at just a slight angle. Get some good quality belts. 6-point is even better for a harness.

Some organizations are requiring that if you take an instructor or passenger with you, the passenger seat and harness setup has to be the same as the driver's side. Don't buy cheap stuff for the passenger side.

If the car is to be licensed and street driven, you will need OEM belts. Harness set-ups are not DOT approved and are technically not legal for street use. In many cases, the lower seat belt bolts can be used for both the OEM belts and lap harness belts attachment.

Don't forget to mount a good fire extinguisher in the car where it can be easily reached.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:14 AM
bosco022
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by parkerracing

Keith has it exactly right!

If it is really a "road race" project you will have to have a legal
cage, seat and mounts. Seat should be mounted to frame or
tubing off the cage with proper seat back mount as well.

If it is a time trial, dedicated HPDE type car, the minimum should
be as Git er dun suggests.

Check out some of the violent crashes of some of the slowest cars
in road racing such as showroom stock c cars. Your LS1 C4 will have
potential to crash much harder than them.

The Kirkey Intermediate road race seat is in the 400 dollar range
and is one of the best buy's. I use it in my GTA stock car with
the addition of the halo top. I have seen similar, used circle track alum
seats at shows and auctions etc for 40-50 bucks

There was a nice LS1 C4 at the Daytona SCCA Drivers school in April. The extra 100# off the front end should help the handling a bunch.
That Car seemed to handle well, but was having some other issues.

Good luck with your project, sounds cool.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:32 AM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

You don't need to spend silly money to get an FIA approved seat. I've seen quite a few SCCA pro guys running these as well. We put a Monaco S in our C4 in 06/07 and it's easily the best modification done to the car.

For around $300-400, it's a worthwhile purchase

Cobra seats
Old 06-02-2010, 09:37 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Check out Kirkey as stated above
Old 06-02-2010, 10:04 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm no expert on 'racing' seats and in fact, I'm looking to buy and install a pair myself. It may be worth mentioning if you participate in a "race" groups I believe certain sponsoring organizations have a 5 year expiration on non-metallic seats such as those made by Sparco, Corbeau and others. I don't think there's any seat expiration if you run time trials or other non-racing events. You might want to check the regulations of the organization(s) you run under.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:29 AM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Auto-X Al, did the Monaco S fit with a fuel interior and e-brake or was this a stripped car?
Old 06-03-2010, 07:04 AM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rbl

Yea .. and you car needs 110 octane fuel too

So ... more cost = better .... don't think so, just look at the cost of what is called health care.
I never said he had to spend stupid money on a seat, I only said he shouldn't be stupid and buy a cheap one. Besides, unburnt 110 smells cool (and yes, unburnt 116 smells even BETTER!)

Last edited by parkerracing; 06-03-2010 at 07:06 AM.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:48 PM
WYCKD 1
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got Corbeau A4 seats in my C4 and a Hardbar Harness Bar.

I went with the A4's because they fit the best in the space available in the car.

Safety is number one and part of that is making sure you fit properly in the seat. I strongly recommend you find a store that you can try out, keeping in mind there is a difference between unharnessed and harnessed in.

I have the smallest size seat available in this stye and it is a very snug fit in the cockpit of the car. I'm also small framed (being a woman and all ) but i fit snugly in the seat when harnessed.

My only complaint about the seat is the length of the seat base. I'm tall - 5'9" and find it too short. Hits just past mid-thigh and feel the fatigue in my legs after a few sessions on the track. Looking into either customizing or finding another seat that will fit the space.

Good luck with your search.

lauri

PS. would post some pics but car at the raceshop having a few more mods done....
Old 06-03-2010, 08:01 PM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by USAsOnlyWay
Auto-X Al, did the Monaco S fit with a fuel interior and e-brake or was this a stripped car?
It's a full interior car. We removed the seat rails and bolted the seat to the floorboard. We reinforced the floor and used some custom poly bushings for the right angle of recline. Both drivers of the car a pretty tall and we needed additional head room.

Works quite well and fits like a glove.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:00 PM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good to know! Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Cheap road race seats?

Quick Reply: Cheap road race seats?