Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aero Project...

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 04:14 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BERETTA
You have a garage now that rocks... Get busy
My dually is taking up all my shop time. I should have it out within a week or so. Day job is a real distraction!
Old 07-04-2015, 12:23 PM
StreetSpeed
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Feel like a shmuck for bumping this thread, but I'm getting ready to go down this road for next season. Looks like the OP did it all right, but just wondering after a couple years of you would have done it all the same? Same parts, same approach, same money? Any other words of wisdom?
Old 07-06-2015, 02:54 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Subscribed...
Old 12-23-2015, 07:18 AM
GO_BLUE_VETTES
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by StreetSpeed
Feel like a shmuck for bumping this thread, but I'm getting ready to go down this road for next season. Looks like the OP did it all right, but just wondering after a couple years of you would have done it all the same? Same parts, same approach, same money? Any other words of wisdom?
I'd second that question. I'm about to do the same. Any extra lessons learned since this was done?
Old 12-28-2015, 12:19 AM
Jeredk21
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Would love to hear the results of boxing in under the hood.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:12 AM
eogel
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Dennis sold this car a couple of years ago and I don't think he is active on the forum now, at least not like he was.
Old 12-29-2015, 11:33 PM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

Sorry, I don't come over to the auto crossing and road racing section like I used to.
I did sell this car as eogel mentioned in February of 2013. I will be glad to help in anyway with any questions any body may have.
Old 12-29-2015, 11:47 PM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by StreetSpeed
Thank you, as far as anything different.
I would recommend building a frame maybe tubular of some sort connecting to the main frame crossmember up front for better support and attachment to support the front splitter. Not that I particularly had a problem with mine I just think structurally it would be better in the long run. Also some sort of paint protection on the front fascia if you are kind of particular like me on appearance. The whole front fascia and front splitter got blasted pretty good after a couple of track days.

Old 12-29-2015, 11:53 PM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Jeredk21
I would have too, I didn't get a chance to track the car after I built the box. I have no doubt that this box I fabricated would have worked very well to increase downforce on the car. I had completely sealed the radiator to the front opening in the front of the fascia and had almost 100% of that air directed out through the hood vents.
I sold this car to a lady in Texas that had just started doing HPDE'S with her street Corvette and she wanted a track car that was safe.
Not long after i sold it to her, I think she got the bug to upgrade the engine for more power, the shop that did the engine upgrade removed the box I fabricated and did not reinstall to my knowledge, I had a bunch of hours in fabricating it and I hate it never really got used or tested.

Last edited by BERETTA; 12-29-2015 at 11:56 PM.
Old 12-30-2015, 12:10 AM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I don't know why the video of the air flow through the hood doesn't work anymore so I am reposting here;

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/h...8F946EB99C.mp4

Last edited by BERETTA; 12-30-2015 at 12:11 AM.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:39 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeredk21
We built a chimney like that into one of our ST2 cars and one thing that we learned was that you need to heat wrap everything under the hood - since you don't have the airflow in the engine compartment anymore things get pretty toasty.
The biggest area of concern was that we were getting a spongy brake pedal - I assumed we were just overheating the front brakes but then I found the rear brakes were the ones with air in them. We heat wrapped all of the brake lines (and master cylinder for good measure) then didn't have an issue afterward. So if you are going to do this make sure you wrap everything around the headers to keep it from over-heating.
The chimney definitely worked - when comparing data from previous seasons we were down on MPH at the end of long straits - we were cornering faster and ultimately faster overall but we could see the difference it made in the data.
The following users liked this post:
BERETTA (12-30-2015)
Old 03-02-2016, 03:16 PM
nskyline34
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Sub'd for updates - been wanting to make an undertray and front breather out of my car for a while now. Stoked to see more on this! Looks like I'm odering a a **** load of sheet metal! haha

Can you post more pics of mounting the diffuser/under tray please?

Quick Reply: Aero Project...