C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

paint stripping

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 08:26 PM
jroutt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default paint stripping

I have heard that there are certain paint strippers formulated for use in stripping fiberglass that will not harm the gel coat. Any advice on this subject will be greatly appreciated. Most of the shops in this part of the country are sanding instead of stripping and somehow I just can't buy into that method. I have a c-1 that I am ready to get started on.

Thanks,

JR
Old 03-23-2005, 05:01 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Sand it
Old 03-24-2005, 12:34 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,862 Likes on 1,104 Posts

Captain Lee's stripper - safe for fiberglass.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:53 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

my car was chemically stripped last fall to prepare it for a new paint job. It's the only method my shop will use. Media blasting can damage the fiberglass if it's not done correctly or carefully and sanding actually scares me a little also as it's too easy to get carried away with the sanding and round off a lot of the feature lines of the car (same problem with media blasting).
Chemical stripping is a very dirty, nasty job that I don't envy anyone that has to do it, but at least it's safe to the fiberglass and the body lines. just be sure to wash the stripper off with alcohol or paint thiner afterwards, and than let the car sit for a week or two to vent out the remainder of the stripper that may have obsorbed in to the fiberglass. Without venting afterwards, any possible remaining stripper will cause the new paint to bubble up from underneath shortly after it's applied and you have to start all over.
My shop let my car sit for over 2 weeks after stripping before starting in on the fiberglass repairs on the body. Overall, from the time it was stripped until the sealer went on before the primer it was about 4 months of venting so I know it shouldn't have ANY issues with bubbling.

Originally Posted by jroutt
I have heard that there are certain paint strippers formulated for use in stripping fiberglass that will not harm the gel coat. Any advice on this subject will be greatly appreciated. Most of the shops in this part of the country are sanding instead of stripping and somehow I just can't buy into that method. I have a c-1 that I am ready to get started on.

Thanks,

JR
Old 03-24-2005, 03:49 PM
Solid327
Racer

Originally Posted by jroutt
I have heard that there are certain paint strippers formulated for use in stripping fiberglass that will not harm the gel coat.
C1's weren't gelcoated from the factory and generally aren't in the restoration process.

There are good and bad points to all methods and results can vary by operator skill and materials chosen.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:13 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,694 Likes on 2,010 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Captain Lee's stripper - safe for fiberglass.
It easily neutralizes and doesn't harm fiberglass. It may take a couple applications to remove all of a urethane paint job but non-hardened enamel and lacquer just melt off.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:19 PM
jroutt
Racer

Default Paint Stripping

Thanks for the tips guys! You've confirmed my opinion on sanding so I will opt for using Captain Lee's stripper.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:11 AM
my58
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone that has chemically stripped their car can you please give suggestions on lessons learned and how you contained the mess?

Is it best to do it in sections or bigger areas?

Can the big inexpensive blue tarps be used under car to catch scraped paint build up or will stripper eat through them?

Anything you can share will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 03-26-2005, 10:45 AM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 402 Posts

I stripped my 77 with Captain Lee's. My advice: wear rubber gloves, use a big piece of cardboard to catch droppings on the floor - just move it around as you go. Also, do small sections, 2 sq ft at a time, use green plastic scouring pads to rub the stripper and paint off the surface - very important. (Buy these at a supermarket). Follow directions closely regarding ambient temperature and length of time you leave stripper on car. Spray stripper on car liberally with spray bottles that come with Cap Lee's. Wash car thoroughly when done. Mine is showing no ill effects after 2 years. Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To paint stripping

Quick Reply: paint stripping