C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Side Exhaust for 1964

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 09:19 PM
auburn1964
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Side Exhaust for 1964

I am trying to find information, instructions, diagrams for installation of side pipes for a 1964 vette. I have most of the information except the location and sixe of the key hole cut on the frame at the rear mounting point of the pipes. CAn anyone help?
Old 04-16-2007, 09:48 PM
jon68l79
Supporting Lifetime Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Side Pipes

I just installed a new set on my '64 this past weekend. Surprisingly, it was really not that hard. For the keyholes in the frame for the rear mounting bolt, I first bolted the front of the pipes to the manifold, then blocked up the rear. Then adjust the pipes so that they are about parallel with the frame in their final position. I then marked the frame at the center of the circular pipe mount and slid the pipe out of the way. On the frame, measure to the rear of your mark about an 1" and drill a hole just large enough to be able to twist the square headed carriage mounting bolt into the frame. Next, I used a jig saw with a metal blade and cut a slot towards the previous mark. This slot should be narrower than the hole you drilled and just big enough for the diameter of the bolt to slide through. Try to square up the end of the slot because you want the square head of the carriage bolt to "lock" into it and not rotate as you tighten the nut. That was all there was to it.

Hope that answers your question. Good luck. I guarantee you'll be happy with it when you're done - what a sweet sound!
Old 04-17-2007, 11:30 AM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Also, it is not necessary to cut the keyhole unless you really want to. Some of us cut the head off a good 5/16 bolt and tack weld it to the frame. Works perfectly and you don't get steel shavings in your mouth.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:34 PM
ragtopman
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Originally Posted by jon68l79
For the keyholes in the frame for the rear mounting bolt, I first bolted the front of the pipes to the manifold, then blocked up the rear. Then adjust the pipes so that they are about parallel with the frame in their final position.

Same here
Old 04-17-2007, 04:42 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 566 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by MasterDave
Also, it is not necessary to cut the keyhole unless you really want to. Some of us cut the head off a good 5/16 bolt and tack weld it to the frame. Works perfectly and you don't get steel shavings in your mouth.

Yep, weld a piece of "all thread" or a bolt to the frame.

That way, you're not messing up your frame by cutting a hole in it. When/if you decide to remove the pipes, you just grind off the all thread. Chuck
Old 04-17-2007, 07:31 PM
StrayDog
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

you will love the sidepipes good move the Dog

Get notified of new replies

To Side Exhaust for 1964

Quick Reply: Side Exhaust for 1964