C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Martz Chassis C1 front suspension

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 01:58 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 730 Likes on 624 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Bob
i wondered what had happened to ya...

congrats on working it out..
Bill
Old 09-29-2007, 11:03 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts

Howdy Bob...

Sounds like you've got a handle on it...good to hear you are making headway. I'm with you...I'd bet it'll definitely be better than before, even if it isn't just perfect. From what I can tell they wern't perfect, fresh off the assembly line.....

Good luck...

Stan...
Old 09-30-2007, 03:41 AM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by jrm5657
Sure would like to hear from someone with experience with the Martz chassis. The discussion is good, it is clear I won't use the TCI front.
Jim
what have you decided to do?
Bill
Old 09-30-2007, 03:59 AM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by 2win screw
I will be calling Martz today about this issue to see if they made any improvements in the location of the holes. I ll let you know what they say. If i have to do some nip and tucking i will also keep you updated on what i do to "make it fit" So much for the "bolt in" aspect of it right ?

Joe
Joe
how is your installation going?
Bill
Old 10-05-2007, 05:52 PM
jrm5657
Melting Slicks

Received 688 Likes on 385 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

TTT,

Any status updates or pictures of fitting the crossmember to your frame. Anybody else taken the plunge for the Martz front suspension??
Old 10-05-2007, 10:02 PM
kenmo
Le Mans Master

Received 115 Likes on 56 Posts

Yeah...these thread has remained inactive for too long....
Old 10-06-2007, 02:13 AM
bowtie racing
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

More driving experiences?
Old 10-06-2007, 06:13 AM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

seems like i'm the only one brave/dumb enough to do it and drive it....

Bill
Old 10-06-2007, 09:48 AM
62rat
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so this is where I am at this point. The suspension is painted and bolted on with new grade 8 hardware. I also cleaned up the frame and painted it. I don't know how it is going to function but it looks really cool! Now all I have to do is install the new master cylinder, run new brake lines, put the engine together and install it, purchase a new steering column and install it, and I'm ready to cruise. The fact that I don't really know what I am doing makes things go pretty slowly but I am somewhat encouraged by the fact that I am finally into the "putting back together" phase. This has been a real learning experience for me and will continue to be. Up until now this hasn't really been too complicated once I quit stressing about the fact that it wasn't quite a straight "bolt on" deal. I bought a die grinder and a carbide bit and got the holes lined up fairly easily. I'm glad that I joined this forum because there is so much knowledge and experience here. I am doing all this by myself but I am encouraged by the support that I get here.

I will try to email a picture to Bill (wmf62) and maybe he can post it.

Bob
Old 10-06-2007, 08:14 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

here is the picture Bob asked to be posted of his Martz IFS installed on the frame.

good job Bob

Bill
Old 10-06-2007, 09:05 PM
jrm5657
Melting Slicks

Nice looking front end. I am licking my chops to get one....
Old 10-06-2007, 11:12 PM
kenmo
Le Mans Master

Received 115 Likes on 56 Posts

Looking good...!!!!
Old 10-07-2007, 09:42 AM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 528 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by 62rat
Ok, so this is where I am at this point. The suspension is painted and bolted on with new grade 8 hardware. I also cleaned up the frame and painted it. I don't know how it is going to function but it looks really cool! Now all I have to do is install the new master cylinder, run new brake lines, put the engine together and install it, purchase a new steering column and install it, and I'm ready to cruise. The fact that I don't really know what I am doing makes things go pretty slowly but I am somewhat encouraged by the fact that I am finally into the "putting back together" phase. This has been a real learning experience for me and will continue to be. Up until now this hasn't really been too complicated once I quit stressing about the fact that it wasn't quite a straight "bolt on" deal. I bought a die grinder and a carbide bit and got the holes lined up fairly easily. I'm glad that I joined this forum because there is so much knowledge and experience here. I am doing all this by myself but I am encouraged by the support that I get here.

I will try to email a picture to Bill (wmf62) and maybe he can post it.

Bob
Bob,

Looking at the picture that wmf62 posted of your front end, I was trying to figure out how Camber and Caster are adjusted. Can you explain how they are adjusted? I see what appears to may be an adjusting cam bolt at the upper inner "A" frame bushing? If so, I assume there is another on the rear of the upper "A" frame as well?

Also, the wheel studs look a little longer than "normal". Are these standard? They may be an illision from the angle the picture was taken. And have you confirmed they Chevy 4-3/4" bolt pattern?

Thanks.
Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 10-07-2007 at 09:46 AM.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:23 AM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

John

Bill
Old 10-07-2007, 11:26 AM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 528 Likes on 378 Posts

Yep, thats what I thought I was seeing.

Thanks,
Plasticman
Old 10-07-2007, 11:58 AM
jrm5657
Melting Slicks

Wheel studs do look awful long. So, what are the large hex fitting, are they threaded into the end of the a-arm tubes?? Is there adjustment there also, if not, how do those get tightened, some appear to be tight against the tube, others may not be?
Old 10-07-2007, 12:03 PM
62rat
Advanced

Originally Posted by Plasticman
Bob,

Looking at the picture that wmf62 posted of your front end, I was trying to figure out how Camber and Caster are adjusted. Can you explain how they are adjusted? I see what appears to may be an adjusting cam bolt at the upper inner "A" frame bushing? If so, I assume there is another on the rear of the upper "A" frame as well?

Also, the wheel studs look a little longer than "normal". Are these standard? They may be an illision from the angle the picture was taken. And have you confirmed they Chevy 4-3/4" bolt pattern?

Thanks.
Plasticman
John,
Bill already answered your adjustment question and yes the studs were swapped out of my old brake drums because the Centerline wheels currently on the car take the long studs. I bolted the front wheels on and the pattern appears correct. I set the a arm adjustments about center until I can get it aligned.

Bob

Get notified of new replies

To Martz Chassis C1 front suspension

Old 10-08-2007, 04:35 AM
Merlin496
Heel & Toe

Hello,
Just found the forum a couple days ago and am the newbie so will try and make this as short as possible.First just want to say thanks for all the info I got my 62 Jan.07 after a few years trying to buy it and because it will see Cecil County Dragway Friday night shootouts and special meet bracket races as well as street duty the brakes were first priority,after delving under the C1 it became apparent the complete R&P kit is the only way to go for me.Stan has been reading my mind for the last 9 months with his questions and Bill,Plasticman,and all the rest have been feeding my brain and still havn't short circuited my brain(yet) but close.I was close to being the guinea pig on the Mac as I don't see a problem with retro fitting the sway bar it's pretty straight forward,and I have lots of frame experience but the bulk being with Chevelles and none with Corvettes but math and geometery applied correctly are the same.So the only thing stopping me is the drilled Grenada rotors in favor of going to the Meyers and the Camaro rotors.I am currently in Albania but returning to the States on the 13th of this month ready to take the plunge.Any advice is greatly appreciated even if it is leave us alone new guy, because I have learned so much in the past few days reading this thread I am light years ahead of where I was a week ago.

Sincerely,

Duff
Old 10-08-2007, 06:45 AM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Merlin496
Hello,
Just found the forum a couple days ago and am the newbie so will try and make this as short as possible.First just want to say thanks for all the info I got my 62 Jan.07 after a few years trying to buy it and because it will see Cecil County Dragway Friday night shootouts and special meet bracket races as well as street duty the brakes were first priority,after delving under the C1 it became apparent the complete R&P kit is the only way to go for me.Stan has been reading my mind for the last 9 months with his questions and Bill,Plasticman,and all the rest have been feeding my brain and still havn't short circuited my brain(yet) but close.I was close to being the guinea pig on the Mac as I don't see a problem with retro fitting the sway bar it's pretty straight forward,and I have lots of frame experience but the bulk being with Chevelles and none with Corvettes but math and geometery applied correctly are the same.So the only thing stopping me is the drilled Grenada rotors in favor of going to the Meyers and the Camaro rotors.I am currently in Albania but returning to the States on the 13th of this month ready to take the plunge.Any advice is greatly appreciated even if it is leave us alone new guy, because I have learned so much in the past few days reading this thread I am light years ahead of where I was a week ago.

Sincerely,

Duff
Duff
welcome to the fray...

i can only say that i 'guess' that my rotors are Granada rotor as i ordered the 11" brakes rather than the standard ones. the whole spindle assembly came fully assembled in a box. just had to paint it and put it on.....

i don't have the foggiest idea of what Martz, Mac or Meyer provide or whether they are preassembled. but i am satisfied with how mine work (i also have rear discs...). the biggest thing i was unhappy with about the TCI IFS was the front track width, and i solved that with wheel spacers.
Bill
Old 10-08-2007, 08:38 AM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 642 Likes on 360 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by wmf62
i don't have the foggiest idea of what Meyer provide or whether they are preassembled. but i am satisfied with how mine work (i also have rear discs...). the biggest thing i was unhappy with about the TCI IFS was the front track width, and i solved that with wheel spacers.
Bill
Meyer provides them ALL preassembled, but I took my rotors off and put on slotted/drilled on the front. Painted the calipers RED. And yes, I think my wheelbase in the front is narrowed by an inch or so...I think I will also get some spacers to push out the wheels. This could have been taken care of in my case if I had gone with fatter wheels (8" rather than 7") and the tires I selected.

Herb

Quick Reply: Martz Chassis C1 front suspension