C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

What is Valve Cover Reskinning?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 08:27 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,848 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Your valve covers look like some of the last GM issue to me. Some of the better ones at that.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:13 PM
Plastic Pig
Live Free or Die
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: One thing is for sure this kind of discourse and BS would not be tolerated on the NCRS forum. Ohio
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by toddalin

The valve covers in the picture look to me to be the later issue after the mold cracked. Look closely along the "t".
The mold cracked at the "O" not the "T"

Old 10-26-2008, 02:48 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 662 Likes on 430 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

These valve covers do have the crack impression in both.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:01 AM
John E. DeGregory
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by prestige6
I called today thinking of getting my valve covers reskinned to look new. When I asked if they take out the pits, I was told No. So what do they do just Glass bead them which I can do myself. Can someone tell me what reskinning is....
Please tell me how you would expect someone to take the pits out of a POC valve cover that is deeply pitted. I mean if it was just a smooth casting that was pitted that is one thing. But a finned Corvette valve cover with the script and all would be downright impossible to refinish to perfection if it is all pitted.
About a year ago a member of a local NCRS chapter gave me his 1960-61 valve covers to refinish. They were pitted big time so I told the owner they were not worth redoing. He said well do them anyhow as he felt sure our refinishing process would make them look nice.
Well it didn't and either would anyone elses operation on the entire planet earth and maybe Mars too.
So please be fair in your comments. Glass beading a pitted part isn't going to do squat.
When I restore fuel injection units the first thing I look at is the aluminum castings. If they pitted or if bubba has screwed them over then you can expect they will not be anything to brag about when the resto is done.
Meanwhile I basically do fuel injection restos and the valve cover is just a little side job.
Recap: The refinishing process does not remove defects. It enhances them. We can sand out minor defects but if you have broken fins, hammer marks from guys beating on them, or other flaws then that's the way they come back.
Now if you wanna pay an hourly rate for my helper to sit down and sand his butt off on them for about a day then the valve cover will be a lot nicer but not perfect. Sandcastings are a piece of cake to improve. They can be broken in half and still comeout nice. But die cast is a different story. If there are others in this world that can make pittted POC die cast parts look good then the solution is quite simple. Let them do it and give me their name as I will send them a lot of business.
Take care, John DeGregory
Old 10-27-2008, 08:05 AM
John E. DeGregory
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by prestige6
I called today thinking of getting my valve covers reskinned to look new. When I asked if they take out the pits, I was told No. So what do they do just Glass bead them which I can do myself. Can someone tell me what reskinning is....
Please tell me how you would expect someone to take the pits out of a POC valve cover that is deeply pitted. I mean if it was just a smooth casting that was pitted that is one thing. But a finned Corvette valve cover with the script and all would be downright impossible to refinish to perfection if it is all pitted.
About a year ago a member of a local NCRS chapter gave me his 1960-61 valve covers to refinish. They were pitted big time so I told the owner they were not worth redoing. He said well do them anyhow as he felt sure our refinishing process would make them look nice.
Well it didn't and either would anyone elses operation on the entire planet earth and maybe Mars too.
So please be fair in your comments. Glass beading a pitted part isn't going to do squat.
When I restore fuel injection units the first thing I look at is the aluminum castings. If they pitted or if bubba has screwed them over then you can expect they will not be anything to brag about when the resto is done.
Meanwhile I basically do fuel injection restos and the valve cover is just a little side job.
Recap: The refinishing process does not remove defects. It enhances them. We can sand out minor defects but if you have broken fins, hammer marks from guys beating on them, or other flaws then that's the way they come back.
Now if you wanna pay an hourly rate for my helper to sit down and sand his butt off on them for about a day then the valve cover will be a lot nicer but not perfect. Sandcastings are a piece of cake to improve. They can be broken in half and still comeout nice. But die cast is a different story. If there are others in this world that can make pittted POC die cast parts look good then the solution is quite simple. Let them do it and give me their name as I will send them a lot of business.
P.S. Their is NO RESKINNING in any of our process. Just refinishing. No material is put back on a valve cover. When a person uses the term reskinning that is dishonest. I never use that term but read it all the time all over the forums.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:37 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 318 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by John E. DeGregory
P.S. Their is NO RESKINNING in any of our process. Just refinishing. No material is put back on a valve cover. When a person uses the term reskinning that is dishonest. I never use that term but read it all the time all over the forums.
Reskinning, refinishing, bead blasting, different processes. I think the guy has asked a legitimate question and isn't knowledgeable about what "reskinning" or refinishing will achieve. He's apparently somewhat familiar with beadblasting, which refinishing is not, but still doesn't know what to expect from a refinishing process. I believe that's why he asked about the pits being filled, which you've said that refinishing doesn't do.

I don't think his question has yet been answered, to be truthful. Just my opinion . . . Are they cleaned and surfaced burnished or "polished" in a vibratory unit, or similar??

Old 10-28-2008, 09:15 AM
Joel 67
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron Miller
I don't think his question has yet been answered, to be truthful. Just my opinion . . . Are they cleaned and surfaced burnished or "polished" in a vibratory unit, or similar??

Not holding my breath for an answer though.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:06 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,862 Likes on 1,104 Posts

It's a tumbling process, with each guy's favorite media, and none of the folks who do it are going to give you any more details than that. Deal with it.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:05 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Ron Miller
It closes the "pores" in the surface of the item being reskinned, I believe. I'm not certain as to how the process is accomplished, but from my past experience I suspect it's a form of vibratory refinishing. For example, see http://www.massfin.com/index.php?kc=UB9rH for equipment and media. The final finish would depend upon the media used in the vibratory cleaner, etc.

Perhaps someone will either verify this, or debunk it one.

Originally Posted by Joel 67

Not holding my breath for an answer though.
Originally Posted by JohnZ
It's a tumbling process, with each guy's favorite media, and none of the folks who do it are going to give you any more details than that. Deal with it.
Thanks JohnZ, finally a definitive answer. That or a similar process was what I initially thought. I don't think anybody's looking for any trade secrets nor to go into competition, the guy's just wondering what type of a process the covers undergo.

So Joel 67, I think you've enough information to do a little research on your own at this point. If you'll Google some of the various finishing operations, such as the one I listed in my first post, you'll be a little better able to determine just what is involved.

In any event, I'd recommend talking to someone who has had theirs done satisfactorily, perhaps let the prospective refinisher take a look at your covers before having them done. As JohnZ mentioned, everybody's got their own procedure, and not all will turn out the same.

Cheers,
Old 10-29-2008, 02:31 PM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Thanks John. I found this top secret video of the process actually being preformed by highly skilled professionals.
These are just dry, or "calibration" runs. During the actual process the technician would of course be holding a pair of aluminum valve covers, or maybe an intake manifold.
As is common among machinists, Eastern Europeans seem to also be particularly skilled in this trade.

Paul

Old 10-29-2008, 07:13 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Fawndeuce
Thanks John. I found this top secret video of the process actually being preformed by highly skilled professionals.
These are just dry, or "calibration" runs. During the actual process the technician would of course be holding a pair of aluminum valve covers, or maybe an intake manifold.
As is common among machinists, Eastern Europeans seem to also be particularly skilled in this trade.

Paul
Now that's pretty good, explains the process without giving away any secrets!!
Old 11-01-2008, 12:28 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Alright,its a tumbling process.Ive seen Alt casings done this way and they looked amazing.Whats it cost to have a set of valve covers done,or is that top secret too?
Old 11-01-2008, 11:56 AM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,212 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by Z51JEFF
Alright,its a tumbling process.Ive seen Alt casings done this way and they looked amazing.Whats it cost to have a set of valve covers done,or is that top secret too?
Call Automotive Expertise in Huntington Beach, CA and ask Steve LuVisi for a price on having them tumbled. They do turn out a little different than media blasting.
Old 11-01-2008, 12:59 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,862 Likes on 1,104 Posts

Originally Posted by Z51JEFF
Jerry MacNeish does them for about $100 for a pair.

www.z28camaro.com

Old 11-01-2008, 03:53 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Thanks for the info guys.

Quick Reply: What is Valve Cover Reskinning?