C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

My hood keeps popping open?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 08:51 PM
Comp Cam 1
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My hood keeps popping open?

My 64 hood keeps popping open. Had some work done and now this. Yes the hood was off (I guess thats as good as they get, inside joke)! I tried to change the pins with another set. Can anyone shed some light on this. I am thinking the actual latch is bad but not sure if I should order a new one? So before I do perhaps someone has had the same problem.
Thanks as always.
Sixty4....Mark.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:53 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

You ARE pushing the hood release handle all the way back in after pulling it out to unlatch the hood, right?

If so, then all I can figure is the hood is not properly aligned?
Old 09-24-2009, 08:58 PM
Glasshole
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah its a pain. Mine pop one side or the other when I hit a big uneven bump in the road. I spent a bit of time adjusting the hood pins and hood stops which reduced it a bit however on a really big bump they still go. Probably need new hood latches (or the springs that hold them shut).

Cheers,

Bob
Old 09-24-2009, 08:58 PM
Comp Cam 1
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
You ARE pushing the hood release handle all the way back in after pulling it out to unlatch the hood, right?

If so, then all I can figure is the hood is not properly aligned?
Thanks Jeff, I do push the release in before closing the hood. The hood looks to have even gaps along both sides.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:04 PM
Comp Cam 1
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by Gl*******
Yeah its a pain. Mine pop one side or the other when I hit a big uneven bump in the road. I spent a bit of time adjusting the hood pins and hood stops which reduced it a bit however on a really big bump they still go. Probably need new hood latches (or the springs that hold them shut).

Cheers,

Bob
Just when I think I have it. I close the hood and shake the hood back and forth (never pops up). Sure enough take it for a ride and before long it pops open. You very well may be correct.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:06 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by sixty4
Thanks Jeff, I do push the release in before closing the hood. The hood looks to have even gaps along both sides.
Hmmm. Ok, assuming your 64 hood latches are the same as my 65, do you have about this much of the lever intruding the female opening with the hood release pushed all the way in? I'm afraid I'm out of ideas, and lacking any experience with your problem (beyond the hood release handle bit)
Old 09-24-2009, 09:28 PM
VanIsle66
Advanced

64Jeff ... I'm having the same problem. Driver's side pops open. Our commonality is that I also had the hood off. The latch was fine before that. I've turned the male pin around to see if it would catch better on an unworn spot. No good. I'm going to try to adjust the hood a tad to see if that helps. I believe there are some other suggestions on this topic in previous posts (adjusting the female latch, using tin foil to see how the latch lines up with the pin, etc.).
Old 09-24-2009, 09:35 PM
Comp Cam 1
Banned Scam/Spammer

Passenger side....

Drivers side......

One thing I did notice when taking these pics with the hood half way up it seemed like a lot of side to side play on the hood? Front hinges?
Thanks again!
Old 09-24-2009, 09:37 PM
Comp Cam 1
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by VanIsle66
64Jeff ... I'm having the same problem. Driver's side pops open. Our commonality is that I also had the hood off. The latch was fine before that. I've turned the male pin around to see if it would catch better on an unworn spot. No good. I'm going to try to adjust the hood a tad to see if that helps. I believe there are some other suggestions on this topic in previous posts (adjusting the female latch, using tin foil to see how the latch lines up with the pin, etc.).

I tried spinning the male pin myself, I am going to see if I can find that thread! Even tried shaving the female latch for some bite, (that don't sound good anyway I type it lol).

Last edited by Comp Cam 1; 09-24-2009 at 09:39 PM.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:02 PM
silver67
Pro

I tried spinning the male pin myself, I am going to see if I can find that thread! Even tried shaving the female latch for some bite, (that don't sound good anyway I type it lol).
The female part is probably worn if the above ideas don't work. Therfore it's loose with no grip. I believe I saw it on here where somone built it up and the latch was almost straight across. Not like a crescent moon shape in your pictures. I would try another female component.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:05 PM
VanIsle66
Advanced

Oh great ...spewed coffee all over myself and the keyboard reading your post ... (totally worth it!)
Good luck.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:21 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,373 Posts

Your problem is probably the female hood latches beeing worn, or at the least, the springs being weak. If they are original hinges, changing them can't hurt. Mid year hinges seem to get very sloppy with age, which will cause the hood to move around a lot. If you replace the hinges, make sure to get the US made ones that Paragon makes, and not the foreign made ones from Corvette America.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:28 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

One thing I did notice when taking these pics with the hood half way up it seemed like a lot of side to side play on the hood? Front hinges?
Thanks again!
That sure sounds suspicious. If the hood can shift to the passenger side it may move enough for the male pins to clear the female latch and spring open.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:34 PM
65 vette dude
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

My driver side started popping up. I extended the male end 1/2 a turn out, then I lubricated the female side. Hasn't popped up since.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:43 PM
Bill Irwin
Drifting

The last post is your answer, extend the male. Bill.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:55 AM
DSR
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 97 Posts

Hi: I had the same problem and found a fix for mine. The bracket that holds the hood release handle was bent back toward the seat and causing too much tention on the hood release cable when the hood was closed, causing it to pop open on bumps on the road. I bent the bracket a little, pushed it toward the engine and problem fixed!

Dave
Old 09-25-2009, 07:01 AM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 409 Likes on 263 Posts

Default Take the tension off the wire

Hi,

Had same problem for many years. After much doing what everyone had suggested, I realized that you can not have tension on the cable that goes from Driver Side to Passenger side. Open hood, make sure handle is pushed in , loosen cable stops on drivers side, and let the passenger side latch extend as much as the spring will take it. With no tension on from latch springs, tighten cable stops.

I found that when you over load latch springs, they will release on hitting a bump.

Try it. My latches and wire cables are original and I thought I needed new ones. You do need to replace the hood hinges, or rebuild them. The center bushing will wear out causing excess movement.

Jack

Last edited by Jackfit; 09-25-2009 at 07:08 AM. Reason: spelling

Get notified of new replies

To My hood keeps popping open?

Old 09-25-2009, 07:24 AM
Aussiesnagz63
Instructor

Default mmmmm!

this is wicked, i have this problem too so i'll be trying a few of these ideas

Thankyou,
Aussiesnagz

Keep Cruizin
Old 09-25-2009, 01:05 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,862 Likes on 1,104 Posts

1. Wrap a piece of aluminum foil over each latch and gently lower the hood until the striker pins touch, to verify that the latches are correctly positioned - if not, adjust them. Lube the moving catch plates so they move freely.

2. Adjust the rubber bumpers - all they do is position the hood up-down to set the flush relationship to the surround.

3. Loosen the round lock nuts on the striker pins and adjust them so you get proper engagement in the latches, and re-tighten the lock nuts. Done.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:31 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 432 Likes on 322 Posts

Were the springs in those female latches ever replaced? From your photos, they don't look like they have much tension. In the closed position, there should be a bit of tension on those springs to hold the latch closed tightly. Pilot Dan

Quick Reply: My hood keeps popping open?