C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Dry ice blasting

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 08:18 PM
cramus
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Dry ice blasting

Has anybody tried dry ice blasting on an aluminum manifold. We have sand blasters and a dry ice blaster at work. I don't think the maintanaince crew would let me change the media in the sand blasters. So I was wondering how the dry ice blaster would work on aluminum. Maybe it would warp the manifold from the cold. They use it to remove glue from equipment. I have a manifold that needs cleaning. Also how can I get a plug out of the water pump by pass and temp gauge hole. I tried some PB blaster, no luck. I was probable dumb to buy the manifold off ebay.
Thanks Craig
Old 11-25-2009, 09:26 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Originally Posted by cramus
Has anybody tried dry ice blasting on an aluminum manifold. We have sand blasters and a dry ice blaster at work. I don't think the maintanaince crew would let me change the media in the sand blasters. So I was wondering how the dry ice blaster would work on aluminum. Maybe it would warp the manifold from the cold. They use it to remove glue from equipment. I have a manifold that needs cleaning. Also how can I get a plug out of the water pump by pass and temp gauge hole. I tried some PB blaster, no luck. I was probable dumb to buy the manifold off ebay.
Thanks Craig
g
Bought mine on ebay.Worked out great. I took mine to a machine shop to remove those frozen plugs. Be sure and check the rivets on the splash shield underneath.And check for warping of the mating surfaces. Wire wheel acid cleaner works great after degreasing. Brightens it right up. Neutralize with soapy water afterwords.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:55 PM
Viking427
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dry ice blasting is one of the best media choices you could use. Dry ice in its solid state hits the contaminant, lifts it off the surface, then literally vaporizes into thin air. The only residue left behind is the contaminant (paint, rust etc.) itself. Consider yourself very lucky to have access to the equipment, it's prohibitively expensive for most people to hire the service out. The only comment I've heard is it does cool the part to the point that water condensates on it in humid climates.
Old 11-26-2009, 02:10 AM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Viking427
Dry ice blasting is one of the best media choices you could use. Dry ice in its solid state hits the contaminant, lifts it off the surface, then literally vaporizes into thin air. The only residue left behind is the contaminant (paint, rust etc.) itself. Consider yourself very lucky to have access to the equipment, it's prohibitively expensive for most people to hire the service out. The only comment I've heard is it does cool the part to the point that water condensates on it in humid climates.
What about the carbon footprint from all of that CO2
Old 11-26-2009, 02:57 AM
Canute
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dave Tracy
What about the carbon footprint from all of that CO2
Compressed from the atmosphere. Zero net emissions .

Get notified of new replies

To Dry ice blasting

Quick Reply: Dry ice blasting