C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1963 Knock Off Wheel Identification

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 08:30 PM
Inca59
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1963 Knock Off Wheel Identification

Is there an easy way to identify original 1963 Kelsey Hayes Knock-off wheels? I am looking at an original 1963 Corvette with original KOs on it, but want to be sure I can identify the wheel. Can I do this without taking the wheel off the car? Thanks!
Old 01-11-2010, 08:52 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,848 Likes on 1,401 Posts

The surest way to tell is to pull a wheel and look at the backside or pull a spinner and cone and look for absence of drive pins. Why would that be a problem?

I don't remember if those wheels had date stamps on them or not. I've only had my hands on one wheel and that was several years ago. They're a very rare piece if you find a set.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:54 PM
Dougs63
Drifting

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2016 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of Year Finalist

According to the NCRS, and about every other expert, there was never any '63 delivered with factory original knock-offs. All had steel rims and hubcaps. '64 was the first year of factory knock-off wheels.

So you can be sure that the wheels on the car are not original. If the owner is telling you they are original, you may want to check that car very carefully for other "original" items.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:11 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Dougs63
According to the NCRS, and about every other expert, there was never any '63 delivered with factory original knock-offs. All had steel rims and hubcaps. '64 was the first year of factory knock-off wheels.

So you can be sure that the wheels on the car are not original. If the owner is telling you they are original, you may want to check that car very carefully for other "original" items.
this is correct, I waited 6 months to get a set on my 63 coupe and was finally told they were not available even though the order sheet or brochure for 63`s listed as available...Finally in 65 you could order and get them with the 1965 Vette...nothing for 63`s,,,I often wondered who actually got that Vette as it was loaded with everything available including FI and the rest of the trick stuff and Sebring Silver....I setteled for a Black FI coupe from another dealer
Old 01-11-2010, 09:27 PM
Ol Blue
Burning Brakes

Received 727 Likes on 272 Posts

I'm with Ironcross on this. When I was ordering my 63 I was told that the KO's were not available. A friend had ordered KO's and was told his car was delayed because he ordered the KO's. I took the KO's off the order and it still took from January 63 until May for the car to be delivered. I didn't order the AM/FM radio either but that's the way it came in.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:26 PM
Inca59
Advanced

OK, thanks for the info. It's not that I can't take a wheel off, I will if I have a bunch of interest in the car, but want to do an initial inspection first. The wheels have been on the car for 35 years (as told by the owner). Sounds like based on the info here these could be a set of 1964s (or higher) on the car since they did not come with KOs in 1963. Could be repros too. If they are genuine 1964s, how much does that add to the value of the car? Is there an easy way to I.D. them as 1964s without removing the wheel? Thanks!
Old 01-12-2010, 05:46 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

The question was, "how to tell if they were '63 wheels". Not were they available on the car new. There are real '63 wheels/adaptors out there. Some of those wheels made it on running cars, one way or the other.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:30 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,694 Likes on 2,010 Posts

Since they are not original 63 knock offs, the only issue is if they are real knock offs - or repro knock offs. So, I guess that raises a question - were all repro knock offs sold fitted with the locking pins? Or were there some early model repros that didn't have the locking pins?

If all repros have the locking pins then it's pretty easy to pop a cap off the spinner and see if the adaptor and wheel are drilled for pins. If they are original, no matter what year, they are worth substantial value - $4 to 5,000 from what I remember from years ago.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:41 AM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM
The question was, "how to tell if they were '63 wheels". Not were they available on the car new. There are real '63 wheels/adaptors out there. Some of those wheels made it on running cars, one way or the other.
simple, there are no OE 63 knock-off wheels unless there steel and use hubcaps...many other wheels made after and before 1963 will fit however including any adapted custom or knock-offs...
as long as there 4 3/4 centers and 5 lug...
Old 01-12-2010, 11:12 AM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,862 Likes on 1,104 Posts

If they don't have the "K-H" and "D49985" cast into the back side of the wheel, they aren't genuine Kelsey-Hayes KO wheels. Period.
Attached Images  
Old 01-12-2010, 01:10 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Ironcross
simple, there are no OE 63 knock-off wheels unless there steel and use hubcaps.....
It's not clear to me what you mean by this.

There is a member of this forum that has a set of '63 KH KO wheels on his '63. 5-6 years ago, I bought one of those wheels right there in your neighborhood. Never been on a car. Unique wheel, adaptor and spinner. All made by KH and intended for '63 production.

Maybe you are saying no '63 was delivered with them? I don't know whether they were or not. I do know the '63 design wheels are on the street and in the hands of private owners. I thought this was the OP's question? No?
Old 01-12-2010, 01:37 PM
Revette
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 201 Likes on 79 Posts

Back in '71 or so a friend owned a '63 coupe with a set of KO wheels with 2 bar spinners. I was told that the Corvair had the 2 bar spinners and some early Vettes; possible? What wheels did the Corvair have that used a KO spinner.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:29 PM
knight37128
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
Since they are not original 63 knock offs, the only issue is if they are real knock offs - or repro knock offs. So, I guess that raises a question - were all repro knock offs sold fitted with the locking pins? Or were there some early model repros that didn't have the locking pins?

If all repros have the locking pins then it's pretty easy to pop a cap off the spinner and see if the adaptor and wheel are drilled for pins. If they are original, no matter what year, they are worth substantial value - $4 to 5,000 from what I remember from years ago.

My repo knock-offs do not have a locking pin.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:59 PM
Bill Wilhelm
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM
It's not clear to me what you mean by this.

There is a member of this forum that has a set of '63 KH KO wheels on his '63. 5-6 years ago, I bought one of those wheels right there in your neighborhood. Never been on a car. Unique wheel, adaptor and spinner. All made by KH and intended for '63 production.

Maybe you are saying no '63 was delivered with them? I don't know whether they were or not. I do know the '63 design wheels are on the street and in the hands of private owners. I thought this was the OP's question? No?
Mike,
A few KH knock-off wheels were made for the 1963 model year Corvette. Did ANY of these wheels get installed on cars sold to the public? GM Documentation and NCRS research says "NO"! Some of the pilot line cars (25 in number) had them installed. Some of these wheels (number un-known) made it into the public's hands. One of these wheels may be what the other poster has seen.
For all practical purposes, KO wheels do not exist for model year 1963, the few sets that are out there would only be considered correct for a pilot line car. Chances that the car the original poster is looking at has some of these wheels is very remote.
Kelsey-Hayes KO's built in 1964 and early 1965 use a rubber date stamp to fix time of manufacture. Later wheels were metal stamped. Pull one wheel and look for the info posted by John, also look for a date. Happy hunting! Bill
Old 01-12-2010, 04:30 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Bill Wilhelm
Mike,
A few KH knock-off wheels were made for the 1963 model year Corvette. Did ANY of these wheels get installed on cars sold to the public? GM Documentation and NCRS research says "NO"! Some of the pilot line cars (25 in number) had them installed. Some of these wheels (number un-known) made it into the public's hands. One of these wheels may be what the other poster has seen.
For all practical purposes, KO wheels do not exist for model year 1963, the few sets that are out there would only be considered correct for a pilot line car. Chances that the car the original poster is looking at has some of these wheels is very remote.
Kelsey-Hayes KO's built in 1964 and early 1965 use a rubber date stamp to fix time of manufacture. Later wheels were metal stamped. Pull one wheel and look for the info posted by John, also look for a date. Happy hunting! Bill

Yes, see post #2. Thanks.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:18 AM
Inca59
Advanced

Thanks for the discussion. I think I have enough ammo to at least look at the car. If it has some rare original KOs on it that might help me with my evaluation. The owner never stated that they are original to the '63 but original corvette KOs for sure and have been on the car for 40 years now. If and when I see the car I will photograph the wheels and try to post them. Thanks.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:28 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,694 Likes on 2,010 Posts

Originally Posted by knight37128
My repo knock-offs do not have a locking pin.
Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To 1963 Knock Off Wheel Identification

Old 01-13-2010, 07:57 PM
Inca59
Advanced

Looked at the car, it was somewhat of a mess so I just glanced over it. The KOs seemed original (but not the early type described here) but the rest of the car was not very good at all, so I looked and quickly left. Thanks for the help here, at least I was prepared.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:06 PM
5.0_CJ
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bill Wilhelm
Mike,
I ran across this thread searching for something completely different. Bill, as a matter of fact I do have a 1963 set of 2 spoke knockoff wheels for our '63 coupe. They were picked up by my uncle at a southern california car show in 1964, at the time he was told they were actual 1963 wheels off of a race car/demo car for GM. I took these wheels up to the national corvette museum many years ago and after about a day of waiting while they looked them over, they confirmed they are legitimate 1963 2 spoke knock off wheels. I did not inquire about the value, but the curator stated they were extremely rare and some collectors might be willing to trade another '63 just for the wheels. Now, of course this is all anecdotal, but it appears some did leak out.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:05 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ
I ran across this thread searching for something completely different. Bill, as a matter of fact I do have a 1963 set of 2 spoke knockoff wheels for our '63 coupe. They were picked up by my uncle at a southern california car show in 1964, at the time he was told they were actual 1963 wheels off of a race car/demo car for GM. I took these wheels up to the national corvette museum many years ago and after about a day of waiting while they looked them over, they confirmed they are legitimate 1963 2 spoke knock off wheels. I did not inquire about the value, but the curator stated they were extremely rare and some collectors might be willing to trade another '63 just for the wheels. Now, of course this is all anecdotal, but it appears some did leak out.
How about a picture of them? The two bar doesn't have anything to do with the wheels. The two bars were Corvair parts that some associate with the real deal '63 gear drive KO wheels.

Quick Reply: 1963 Knock Off Wheel Identification