C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Hedge's Speed Shop

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 01:23 PM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts

20 k?They said 20 l at DIGIITALCORVETTES:
There is no way anybody can have paid 20 k for that?

Last edited by TheSaint; 02-22-2010 at 01:26 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:15 PM
jjtoma
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Copo

Originally Posted by COPO
Hi COPO,

Inquiring minds want to know, were these photos taken at your shop in Athens or Hedges?
(a certain green forklift in background)

Thanks

Jim

Last edited by jjtoma; 02-22-2010 at 06:01 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:25 PM
COPO
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jjtoma
COPO answered on another forum. It is.

Jim
That frame is not under that car. But the same chassis builder.

Originally Posted by jjtoma
Hi COPO,

Inquiring minds want to know, were these photos taken at your shop in Athens or Hedges?
(a certain green forklift in background)

Thanks

Jim
Frame was built @ Hedges then shipped to the new owner in Texas.

Last edited by COPO; 02-22-2010 at 09:04 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:51 PM
out2kayak
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 271 Likes on 129 Posts

Wow! Those welds are simply amazing.

Seriously, what would you do if the UPS guy dropped that off at your garage door and your credit card was already charged? Do you really trust a shop that turned out such shoddy work to fix the error that they had to know was bad?

Hopefully the business will make the appropriate remediation, but there is simply no excuse for such poor workmanship.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:09 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by out2kayak
Wow! Those welds are simply amazing.
Yeah, I think a priest gets more penetration than that.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:22 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,091 Likes on 4,740 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
Yeah, I think a priest gets more penetration than that.
Mmm....I'm gonna let that one go I think..

That mess is a rolling liability lawsuit...
Old 02-25-2010, 10:02 AM
tasm3355
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSaint
20 k?They said 20 l at DIGIITALCORVETTES:
There is no way anybody can have paid 20 k for that?
Here is what you're supposed to get for 20k. Minus the engine and tires.

The question is, referring at the other pics on digitalcorvettes......WHERE'S THE REST OF IT? Still to be determined....

Last edited by tasm3355; 02-25-2010 at 10:05 AM.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:15 AM
65 fi
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 83 Posts

I am baffled as to why someone would accept work as shown. It seems a lien on company and/or personal assets would be in order, if a refund wasn't offered.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:09 PM
jeffhedges
Heel & Toe

Default Chassis

To all who are reading this post in reference to our shop work and this particular chassis. When we were contracted to build a chassis for a 69 Corvette, I explained to the customer that we did not build a chassis for any C3 cars. I explained that the overall structure was the same, but the gas tank mounting, body mounts, etc. were different. I explained that I would try to find an early C3 body to set up gas tank, body mounts, etc.. We built the main chassis and ended up not being able to secure a C3 body to use. So I explained this to the customer and he asked me to ship him the chassis as is and he would finish it using the 69 body he had. I did not install the rear gas tank mounting, body mounts, etc.. These were done by the new owner. I explained to the new owner that I would refund the money for the powder coating, welding time, etc. needed to finish the chassis. As for the welds, we have numerous chassis out there with road and track time with no faults. Our chassis with suspension, rearend, axles, brakes, steering rack, etc. everything minus wheels and tires weighs in at 800lbs. Our finished cars come in around 2800lbs. They will pull 1g+ in the skid pad. Our welds may not be the prettiest, but they are functional. I offer any one with questions or concerns to call my shop or come by our shop to see our products first hand. If not, you personally can view our product at 2010 Bloomington or Carlisle and compare it to any other chassis on the market. The front section of our chassis is TIG welded at Art Morrisons shop and has been engineered for optimum street/track performance. As I stated feel free to contact my shop and ask me directly about our product rather than trying to slam our product without knowing all of the facts.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:34 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 730 Likes on 624 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by jeffhedges
To all who are reading this post in reference to our shop work and this particular chassis. When we were contracted to build a chassis for a 69 Corvette, I explained to the customer that we did not build a chassis for any C3 cars. I explained that the overall structure was the same, but the gas tank mounting, body mounts, etc. were different. I explained that I would try to find an early C3 body to set up gas tank, body mounts, etc.. We built the main chassis and ended up not being able to secure a C3 body to use. So I explained this to the customer and he asked me to ship him the chassis as is and he would finish it using the 69 body he had. I did not install the rear gas tank mounting, body mounts, etc.. These were done by the new owner. I explained to the new owner that I would refund the money for the powder coating, welding time, etc. needed to finish the chassis. As for the welds, we have numerous chassis out there with road and track time with no faults. Our chassis with suspension, rearend, axles, brakes, steering rack, etc. everything minus wheels and tires weighs in at 800lbs. Our finished cars come in around 2800lbs. They will pull 1g+ in the skid pad. Our welds may not be the prettiest, but they are functional. I offer any one with questions or concerns to call my shop or come by our shop to see our products first hand. If not, you personally can view our product at 2010 Bloomington or Carlisle and compare it to any other chassis on the market. The front section of our chassis is TIG welded at Art Morrisons shop and has been engineered for optimum street/track performance. As I stated feel free to contact my shop and ask me directly about our product rather than trying to slam our product without knowing all of the facts.
Jeff
are you saying that the 'gorilla welds' (strong but UGLY) are not yours?

in any case, any welder that made a weld like that in any place i ever worked would not pass the welding test or would be fired...
Bill
Old 02-27-2010, 12:47 AM
out2kayak
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 271 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffhedges
Our welds may not be the prettiest, but they are functional.
<snip>
As I stated feel free to contact my shop and ask me directly about our product rather than trying to slam our product without knowing all of the facts.
Jeff,

I'd have to agree with Bill, welds like the ones demonstrated by this picture are very poor, at best. I, as a customer, would refuse to accept the frame and refuse payment.

Professionally, I would never let something like this out of my place of work. One posting like this could very well sink your business.

So, the two questions you have to ask yourself are:

1. What are you going to do to make this customer whole?
2. What are you going to do to recover your reputation?

Hint on these: don't blame the customer -- they are always right.

You accepted the job, you knew what your employees can do, and you are accountable for the product that leaves your business. It's OK to turn away work that you are not prepared to do.

I don't expect any response to this, but please think carefully think about what you want to do next.

Cheers,

-- Joe
Old 02-27-2010, 01:05 AM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Ya'll know the politically correct response.........
Hire the Handicapped!
Old 02-27-2010, 02:20 PM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I really hope that that the customer refused to pay for that frame
Old 03-24-2010, 12:50 PM
SLO 65
Instructor

Default Shop Tour

I found this shop tour today if anyone is interested. It looks like an sriii chassis under the silver 63/64 convertible in the first few pictures.

http://www.tunisietuning.com/showthread.php?p=39736

Nick
Old 03-24-2010, 01:10 PM
tasm3355
Cruising

I really hope that that the customer refused to pay for that frame
I believe that you have to send final payment before it ships. And no progress pictures are availible during the build. So the customer never knows what they are getting or when they are getting it. It's easy to make something "look" good when finished(especially with pictures on the internet) but quality has to be experienced first hand.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:11 PM
tasm3355
Cruising

Originally Posted by SLO 65
I found this shop tour today if anyone is interested. It looks like an sriii chassis under the silver 63/64 convertible in the first few pictures.

http://www.tunisietuning.com/showthread.php?p=39736

Nick
Like I said...it's easy to make something "look" good when finished.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:16 PM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I suppose when the customer recived that "frame" there could not be that difficult to get out of that deal and get his money back?

Or do you suppose the customer is stuck whit that mess of metal pieces,pipes?

Originally Posted by tasm3355
I believe that you have to send final payment before it ships. And no progress pictures are availible during the build. So the customer never knows what they are getting or when they are getting it. It's easy to make something "look" good when finished(especially with pictures on the internet) but quality has to be experienced first hand.

Get notified of new replies

To Hedge's Speed Shop

Old 03-25-2010, 11:46 AM
tasm3355
Cruising

I suppose when the customer recived that "frame" there could not be that difficult to get out of that deal and get his money back?

Or do you suppose the customer is stuck whit that mess of metal pieces,pipes?
Well, I know in this instance, the customer is stuck with the mess of "metal pieces and pipes" and having to spend a lot of money to have have the frame re-done (by someone different) so that it will work.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:16 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,768 Likes on 1,533 Posts

Originally Posted by Vogie
I thought I needed a lot more experience at my welding hobby. It would seem that I am fully qualified to do chassis work.
Looks like the rear end after you got it in the car would be a pain in the azz to service.... Robert
Old 03-25-2020, 02:58 PM
a64shark
2nd Gear

I bought some Detroit Speed headlight motors and a Wiper motor kit from Von Schoff Customs for my 1964… Should be more like Von Shaft!!!... I paid him with PayPal, he shipped only the headlight motor kit without the main harness and he didn't even send the Wiper Motor... Had to open a case with PayPal after the excuses on why it wasn't shipping out like the dying Sister-in-law and all of the, thought my guy mailed it and I will get it out today BS. The only difference from the first guy is I was I was dealing with a Jose Perez... The email address was with scott@vonschoffcustoms.com. Bottom line...the original post was point out that these guys are flakes and to watch yourself.

Quick Reply: Hedge's Speed Shop