C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

65 327/350HP by-pass hose

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 08:44 AM
65specialk
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Default 65 327/350HP by-pass hose

Does the 65 require the by-pass hose from the water pump to the manifold?? My car did not have them before restoration and looked like it never did?? Dave
Old 06-04-2010, 08:50 AM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,310 Posts

Originally Posted by 65specialk
Does the 65 require the by-pass hose from the water pump to the manifold?? My car did not have them before restoration and looked like it never did?? Dave
Yes. Connects the "326" water pump to the Winters aluminum manifold for improved engine warm-up and cooling.

Check that you have the correct water pump and manifold....the connections should be there. Many cars have the water pump and/or intake manifold replaced sometime in their life, and the bypass hose gets deleted.

Larry
The following users liked this post:
marshal135 (08-27-2022)
Old 06-04-2010, 09:33 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm focusing on the word "require".

If you are doing a full restoration, then the bypass hose should be in place.

On the other hand, my 65 327/350 is missing the bypass and I have not experienced overheating issues, even in traffic in August in Houston. I've chosen not to try to add the bypass, because I don't want to risk damaging the intake when removing the plug that has been in the intake for who-knows how many years.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:06 AM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,310 Posts

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
I'm focusing on the word "require".

If you are doing a full restoration, then the bypass hose should be in place.

On the other hand, my 65 327/350 is missing the bypass and I have not experienced overheating issues, even in traffic in August in Houston. I've chosen not to try to add the bypass, because I don't want to risk damaging the intake when removing the plug that has been in the intake for who-knows how many years.
Jeff:

Agree........it is not REQUIRED. But it should improve WARM-UP and COOLANT CIRCULATION through the engine. It probably was done (by GM) for the iron engine block and the aluminum manifold due to the differences in thermal expansion for the two metals.

But it shouldn't have an impact on engine COOLING since no additional water flow goes through the radiator.

Larry
Old 06-04-2010, 10:09 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Powershift
Jeff:

Agree........it is not REQUIRED. But it should improve WARM-UP and COOLANT CIRCULATION through the engine. It probably was done (by GM) for the iron engine block and the aluminum manifold due to the differences in thermal expansion for the two metals.

But it shouldn't have an impact on engine COOLING since no additional water flow goes through the radiator.

Larry
Larry I agree totally. I don't think GM would have added it without a good reason.

I have all the parts I need to put it back on my 65, but I fear that trying to remove that pipe plug from my aluminum intake after 20+ years (I know the car history back to 89) will crack the intake. So for now I'm leaving mine off, but wishing it were in place.

Jeff
Old 06-04-2010, 10:15 AM
65specialk
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Correct water pump in place. I heated the area around the plug with a heat gun. It softened the sealer and plug came right out. DO NOT over tighten.
Thanks Dave
Old 06-04-2010, 10:23 AM
larrywalk
Melting Slicks

Received 104 Likes on 74 Posts

The bypass is good because it circulates water through the block, helping the block to warm evenly and allowing the thermostat to see the average temperature.

With aftermarket intake manifold installations that don't have a bypass hole in the left front manifold boss, I drill and tap for 3/8 or 1/2 NPT so that I can add a bypass; I restrict the passage in the bypass nipple to 3/8", Also, when you do this, it is a good idea to block the lower (3/8th dia) bypass hole in the pass side leg of the water pump as it performs a similar function, but only to the pass side of the block.

Old 08-27-2022, 06:54 PM
JQ108
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 3 Posts

Correct water pump in place. I heated the area around the plug with a heat gun. It softened the sealer and plug came right out. DO NOT over tighten.
Thanks Dave
How long did you heat around the plug and at what temperature? I am having the hardest time getting this out.

Get notified of new replies

To 65 327/350HP by-pass hose

Quick Reply: 65 327/350HP by-pass hose