C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Basic Question on Bellhousings

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 06:45 PM
Bud2
Bud2
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Basic Question on Bellhousings

Were there any pressed-steel bellhousing issued as standard equipment for the small block? Or were they all cast iron/aluminum?

Thanks.

Bud.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:10 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Only two materials, aluminum and cast iron.....
Old 07-20-2010, 07:22 PM
highschool67
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My 66 was raced for a time and the previous owner put a Lakewood, steel housing on. Wish I had the old aluminum bellhousing.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:12 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by highschool67
My 66 was raced for a time and the previous owner put a Lakewood, steel housing on. Wish I had the old aluminum bellhousing.
Why?...

Any missed gear can cause a problem aluminum can't fix....unless of course, you never wind it up and hammer the gears.

.. Of course if it's a numbers matching etc, etc, bla, bla, car...well you know.

I always ran a scatter shield with a 4 speed. Comes from a friend getting some shrapnel in his foot back in high school....he still walks wyth a lisp...

Stan...
Old 07-20-2010, 09:52 PM
vetrod62
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

And some on here worry about old tires. This is a '55 chevy flywheel/clutch explosion. I run a Lakewood in all my cars. I wonder how his legs made out.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:59 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,693 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Up through 1959 ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL Corvette and pass cars had cast iron bell housings with an open bottom.
ALLLLLLLLLLLLL 1960-62 Corvettes ONLY had cast alum, open bottom bell housings.
In 1963-later, ALLLLLLLLLLLLL Corvettes went to the full enclosure, die cast alum bell housing.
The pass cars retained the open bottom cast iron bell housings through 1962----------EXCEPT--------the 1960-63 hi-perf 348 and 409 engines. The 63-later pass cars WITHOUT the hi-perf 409 got the same die cast, full enclosure alum housings that were the same as the 63-later Vettes.
ANY Chevy---car, Vette, truck----that had an open bottom bell housing (didn't matter if it was iron or alum) ONLY had the larger 168 teeth flywheel. THERE WAS NO SUCH COMBINATION AS AN OPEN BOTTOM BELL HOUSING AND THE SMALLER 153 TEETH FLYWHEEL.

The 1960 open bottom, cast alum bell housing that was on ALL Vettes and hi-perf 348 cars, was the same, and ONE YEAR ONLY housing. This particular housing is probably the highest value of all bell housings.
Probably the next highest value bell housing is the cast alum open bottom version on ALLLLLLLLLLLLL 61-2 Vettes and 61-3 hi-perf 348-409s in pass cars.
After that, it's probably a toss up between the 64-65 full enclosure alum housings used ONLY in full size cars and Chevelles (this housing WAS NOT used in Vettes) and the 444 full enclosure housing used on 66-VERY early 67 BB Vettes, Chevelles and MAYBE full size cars.

Tom Parsons

Last edited by DZAUTO; 07-20-2010 at 10:04 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:38 PM
Bud2
Bud2
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Mines a Girly Car...

AC and all so I expected a standard bellhousing. Actually took a look at it this last weekend and it has a pressed-steel housing. It's red so maybe a Lakewood or something else re-painted. Was surprised, can't figure out why the PO would make this upgrade. While its not NCRS, nothing indicates it was raced in its history.

Funny how you can look at things and not 'see'. I've looked at that housing dozens of times and it just never registered that it wasn't a cast item. Is that an old-age thing??

Bud.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:43 AM
vettsplit 63
Le Mans Master

Location: "You may all go to Hell- and I will go to Texas- Davy Crockett
Received 474 Likes on 337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by vetrod62
And some on here worry about old tires. This is a '55 chevy flywheel/clutch explosion. I run a Lakewood in all my cars. I wonder how his legs made out.

I remember seeing a picture VERY similar to this back in the day. I think it was a 55 or 56 Chevy that hand grenaded the flywheel. Same pic? One thing that is kinda confusing tho, what are all the hydraulic lines and fittings in the floor opening there?

Last edited by vettsplit 63; 07-22-2010 at 12:46 AM.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:01 AM
NOM61
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vettsplit 63
One thing that is kinda confusing tho, what are all the hydraulic lines and fittings in the floor opening there?
Isn't that the hydraulic clutch actuator/throw-out bearing?

DT
Old 07-22-2010, 02:07 AM
Bud2
Bud2
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Dunno...

I saw that too and was wondering the same. Was also wondering what the guage was on the passenger side dash was. First thought it was a oil pressure but it looks like it has an odometer too. Whatever, it would be hard to moniter from the passenger seat.

Bud
Old 07-22-2010, 09:36 AM
LSUvetteguy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Bud2
I saw that too and was wondering the same. Was also wondering what the guage was on the passenger side dash was. First thought it was a oil pressure but it looks like it has an odometer too. Whatever, it would be hard to moniter from the passenger seat.

Bud
It looks like another speedometer but I doubt this was a rally car.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:26 PM
65ZR1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The lines and pump look very similar to the fuel pumps used on the old hilborn style fuel injection units. Not sure what it would be doing back there though!
Old 07-22-2010, 10:14 PM
vetrod62
Drifting

Originally Posted by 65ZR1
The lines and pump look very similar to the fuel pumps used on the old hilborn style fuel injection units. Not sure what it would be doing back there though!
My thoughts also. It could have been driven by the back of a roots super charger or off a purpose built distributor. The drive appears to be in the picture above it.

The floor looks to have been cut earlier, to access the rear of the engine. The blown bell housing looks to be a steel scatter shield. Cast iron or alum. would crack off, not bend around.

Bottom line, if you have a solid lifter engine that revs, no stock flywheels.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:22 PM
Bud2
Bud2
Support Corvetteforum!

Default If Only the Picture Could Talk...

I'm sure there are some good stories with that car!

Well spotted Vette62. It does look to be steel. I'm no expert but doesn't it look a little far back to be the bellhousing? I thought the flywheel would be a little further forward closer to the engine - as I said I'm no expert. But if it is a steel bellhousing and it didn't do the job of its intention, is it simply a hope and pray sort of situation if the flywheel does go? The reason I'm asking is most of the time spent in my 64 is at the track - I'm old but I still don't want to be looking at the family gems up on the roof liner!

Bud
Old 07-22-2010, 11:58 PM
vetrod62
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bud2
I'm sure there are some good stories with that car!

Well spotted Vette62. It does look to be steel. I'm no expert but doesn't it look a little far back to be the bellhousing? I thought the flywheel would be a little further forward closer to the engine - as I said I'm no expert. But if it is a steel bellhousing and it didn't do the job of its intention, is it simply a hope and pray sort of situation if the flywheel does go? The reason I'm asking is most of the time spent in my 64 is at the track - I'm old but I still don't want to be looking at the family gems up on the roof liner!

Bud
I have always known that with the right clutch/flywheel explosion, it will go through the scatter shield. The problem is some still run cast iron flywheels. Illegal at the track. Constant inspections of the flywheel will show cracks when over heated. Time to throw it out. I just, this week, spent $500 on a new flywheel because I like my legs and do want to kill anyone at the track. That hurt, for something that will not make the car go any faster.

I think the scatter shield is designed to contain the clutch if let loose. The flywheel is not expected to let go if within specs. Your family Gems should be safe if you are racing and have Billet flywheel.

Yes, the engine looks to be more rearward than stock. Hence the rear access cover. My question is what engine is that????? It does not look like a SBC. Remember we are talking 45-55 years ago. The heads look weird.

Get notified of new replies

To Basic Question on Bellhousings

Quick Reply: Basic Question on Bellhousings