C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

66 big block started running like crap

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 06:20 PM
prestige6
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Default 66 big block started running like crap

Got ready to get the big block going down the street today. Blead brakes,put on steering wheel,Started car up running beauitful,choke working fine and running great...This is a project started last year.Everything done on motor,new 3370 carb,valve job,all new gaskets etc.et. by the way 437-390 HP. adjusted valves last week, car was running great.After it warmed up today,started going down the block running great,turned around started back home got on it a little,started to miss. Checked it out when I got home 3 cylinders not firing way to rich. Pulled out the 43 plugs put 45's in same thing,checked cap and rotor both ok.carb and timing were dead on before this started.have a funny feeling valves need adjusting, Any IDEAS of an easy way to adust the vales without making a mess with the motor running.Tried an old valve cover with holes in it still makes a mess...
Old 11-27-2010, 06:32 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by prestige6
Got ready to get the big block going down the street today. Blead brakes,put on steering wheel,Started car up running beauitful,choke working fine and running great...This is a project started last year.Everything done on motor,new 3370 carb,valve job,all new gaskets etc.et. by the way 437-390 HP. adjusted valves last week, car was running great.After it warmed up today,started going down the block running great,turned around started back home got on it a little,started to miss. Checked it out when I got home 3 cylinders not firing way to rich. Pulled out the 43 plugs put 45's in same thing,checked cap and rotor both ok.carb and timing were dead on before this started.have a funny feeling valves need adjusting, Any IDEAS of an easy way to adust the vales without making a mess with the motor running.Tried an old valve cover with holes in it still makes a mess...
sounds like something may have let go when you jumped on it
remove the valve covers and look for a broken spring, bent pushrod and the like...also check for a bad intake or carb gasket
follow the sticky and adjust the valves with the mill not running
setting lifters while running is a waste of time and oil although others swear by it.....
Old 11-27-2010, 06:40 PM
prestige6
Melting Slicks

Default valve adjustment

Originally Posted by midyearvette
remove the valve covers and look for a broken spring, bent pushrod and the like...also check for a bad intake or carb gasket
setting lifters while running is a waste of time and oil although others swear by it.....
What is the sequence for adusting the valves. Is it the same as a small block where you only have to get the engine to # 1 And #6 to adjust all the valves????
Old 11-27-2010, 07:09 PM
Mossy66
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Hard to believe that valves came out of adjustment on three cylinders at the same and relatively short time. Are the cylinders adjacent to each other?
Old 11-27-2010, 07:30 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

What is the sequence for adusting the valves. Is it the same as a small block where you only have to get the engine to # 1 And #6 to adjust all the valves????
yes, however in your case it would be best to do them one at a time so you can see the action and maybe see something wrong
on each cylinder, set the intake when the exhaust STARTS to open
set the exhaust when the intake is FULLY OPEN AND "STARTS" to close (come back up)
Old 11-27-2010, 07:33 PM
LSUvetteguy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I hate to bring this up but a cam lobe comes to mind.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:34 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,698 Likes on 2,013 Posts

Originally Posted by Mossy66
Hard to believe that valves came out of adjustment on three cylinders at the same and relatively short time. Are the cylinders adjacent to each other?
Yeah - if you really have 3 dead cylinders from what you believe to be a too rich condition, I think I would be looking at a fuel problem. Maybe a needle and seat has trash on it and is not sealing - and flooding the carb. If a 427/390 it would have a hydraulic cam if stock - unless this is a new engine and you wiped out the cam I don't think running the valves will help.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:43 PM
Mossy66
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
Yeah - if you really have 3 dead cylinders from what you believe to be a too rich condition, I think I would be looking at a fuel problem. Maybe a needle and seat has trash on it and is not sealing - and flooding the carb. If a 427/390 it would have a hydraulic cam if stock - unless this is a new engine and you wiped out the cam I don't think running the valves will help.
Also, if you did wipe some lobes, I would think there would be a lot of clattering, even with hydraulic lifters, and I don't think it would cause the plugs to foul. How are the rest of the plugs?

Gerry
Old 11-28-2010, 08:48 AM
prestige6
Melting Slicks

Default valve adjust

ttt
Old 11-28-2010, 08:59 AM
Mossy66
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '14

I guess you could use this. Post # 7:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...djustment.html

Or this:
http://www.lbfun.com/warehouse/tech_...ch%20paper.pdf

Gerry
Old 11-29-2010, 06:58 PM
prestige6
Melting Slicks

Default found problem

Pulled the valve covers,figured I would start the easy way... Bingo # 1 Intake bent pushrod.Now to get a pushrod and readjust and try again..Thanks for your help!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-29-2010, 08:08 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Pulled the valve covers,figured I would start the easy way... Bingo # 1 Intake bent pushrod.Now to get a pushrod and readjust and try again..Thanks for your help!!!!!!!!!!!
figure out first, WHY did the pushrod bend???
bb pushrods are tough....check for bad springs or the wrong springs for your engine..(coil bind comes to mind)
with out finding the cause, you are more than likely to repeat the failure and maybe not so lucky the second time around.....

also look for cut rocker studs...could be the wrong rockers for a high lift cam

Last edited by midyearvette; 11-29-2010 at 08:10 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:38 PM
prestige6
Melting Slicks

figure out first, WHY did the pushrod bend???
bb pushrods are tough....check for bad springs or the wrong springs for your engine..(coil bind comes to mind)
with out finding the cause, you are more than likely to repeat the failure and maybe not so lucky the second time around.....

also look for cut rocker studs...could be the wrong rockers for a high lift cam
I think what happened is the car sat for a long time,I adjusted the lifters and one wasn't pumped up all the way and when I drove down the block, it pumped up and bent the pushrod. Everything is stock and new.I'll see when I get the new one and try again.Thanks for your help..
Old 11-29-2010, 09:11 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I think what happened is the car sat for a long time,I adjusted the lifters and one wasn't pumped up all the way and when I drove down the block, it pumped up and bent the pushrod. Everything is stock and new.I'll see when I get the new one and try again.Thanks for your help..
the lifters do not have to be pumped up to be adjusted properly....
Old 11-30-2010, 07:30 AM
Mossy66
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '14

Your original post mentioned three cylinders had trouble. Did you find anything wrong with the other two?
Old 11-30-2010, 08:50 AM
66BlkBB
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Your original post mentioned three cylinders had trouble. Did you find anything wrong with the other two?

More than likely it is the same thing on the other two. Just that they were not tightened down as far.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:02 AM
Mossy66
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '14

How would the plugs get fouled? With a bent intake pushrod I would assume the intake valve is staying closed or not opening all the way. In either case there would be no extra fuel or oil in the cylinder, or am I missing something?

Gerry

Get notified of new replies

To 66 big block started running like crap

Old 11-30-2010, 09:39 AM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

How would the plugs get fouled? With a bent intake pushrod I would assume the intake valve is staying closed or not opening all the way. In either case there would be no extra fuel or oil in the cylinder, or am I missing something?

Gerry
could be a bent valve ( intake) with blow back into the intake runners, polluting other runners with the intakes starting to open or fully open in other cylinders,....
maybe he did over adjust his lifters, but he would have to bottomed out the plungers and then kissed a piston with the valve ??..bwdik
Old 11-30-2010, 09:53 PM
prestige6
Melting Slicks

Default Fixed

could be a bent valve ( intake) with blow back into the intake runners, polluting other runners with the intakes starting to open or fully open in other cylinders,....
maybe he did over adjust his lifters, but he would have to bottomed out the plungers and then kissed a piston with the valve ??..bwdik
Put in the new pushrod tonight,adjusted the valves cold. Let it warm up and used a set of oil deflectors to adjust hot. Car is purring like a Dream now!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-30-2010, 09:56 PM
KC John
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 95 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

How did the oil deflectors work? Did you still make a mess?

Quick Reply: 66 big block started running like crap