C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

legit BB ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 02:35 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,862 Likes on 1,104 Posts

Originally Posted by BrentF
This is interesting. Nolan's book (which I have on back order) suggests that the L72 was rated at 450 hp for cars produced until the third week of October 1965, and 425 hp for L72s produced thereafter.

I guess this is good news for me, as my '66 L72 was produced on October 8, 1965. Are these merely semantics we are dealing with here, or was there something actually going on with these two different horsepower ratings? Nolan suggests there is no hard answer to that question.
All that changed was the sticker for the air cleaner (the same de-rating applied to all solid-lifter big-blocks in other Chevrolet car lines, and also de-rated the Corvette L-36 hydraulic-lifter engine from 400hp to 390hp); the Chevrolet ECR that issued the stop-order for the stickers and released the new de-rated stickers was issued in July, 1965. The reason shown on the stop-order ECR is "Management Direction". There were no mechanical changes of any kind involved, and the engine part numbers didn't change; only the stickers changed.

This is not "news" - it's been known for decades.

Noland's book is readily available from Noland himself, or from the NCRS on-line store at www.ncrs.org; cancel your back-order at CC and get one if you really want one.

Big-blocks also have a larger front sway bar - 7/8", or 15/16" if it has F41(which was only available with L72).
Old 04-17-2011, 02:44 PM
BrentF
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JohnZ
This is not "news" - it's been known for decades.
I suppose it's been known since about the third week of October 1965. So what's your point?
Old 04-17-2011, 02:44 PM
66BlkBB
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by bb62
I suspect you are right. My copy of Dobbins is from back when I purchased my first Corvette - copyright 1980. His number are right, and many of the tables and pictures are helpful. I've never felt a need to buy his latest book even as i regularly update all the rest of my Corvette literature.

I do have to say that I find it hard to believe that L36 buyers would pony up $342.30 for this option (which also requires J50 at $42.15). The L36 option itself only cost $181.20. Do you know of any documented L36s with J56?

I am driving one!!!!!!!
Old 04-17-2011, 02:50 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,862 Likes on 1,104 Posts

I suppose it's been known since about the third week of October 1965. So what's your point?
You asked a question, and I answered it. Kinda testy today, aren't we?
Old 04-17-2011, 02:52 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm just curious if everyone in Toronto is as grumpy as you- or there's another reason. Also wondering if you're going to share your newly acquired knowledge with the NCRS judge you've mentioned.
Old 04-17-2011, 02:55 PM
BrentF
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
look at were the general rated them at the RPM.
I missed that...450hp @6400 rpm versus 425hp @5600...thanks. Sounds like the same motor to me
Old 04-17-2011, 03:03 PM
BrentF
Burning Brakes

I come here to gather information, in the belief that others are willing to share it, rather than to be lectured or demeaned. What was the point of saying that this has been known for a long time, except to suggest my observation was that of a newbie. My apologies for hearing it for the first time. I guess this is a hobby that is unwelcoming of new participants. I'll keep that in mind.

As for your unsolicited advice on when and where to get Nolan's book, Ill stick with Corvette Central, as they gave me a 10% discount and the shipping has already been paid.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:05 PM
BrentF
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
I'm just curious if everyone in Toronto is as grumpy as you- or there's another reason. Also wondering if you're going to share your newly acquired knowledge with the NCRS judge you've mentioned.
Yes, next time I speak with him.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:19 PM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,604 Likes on 829 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I come here to gather information, in the belief that others are willing to share it, rather than to be lectured or demeaned. What was the point of saying that this has been known for a long time, except to suggest my observation was that of a newbie. My apologies for hearing it for the first time. I guess this is a hobby that is unwelcoming of new participants. I'll keep that in mind.

As for your unsolicited advice on when and where to get Nolan's book, Ill stick with Corvette Central, as they gave me a 10% discount and the shipping has already been paid.
Brent, I didn't see JohnZ's comments as lecturing or demeaning. Sometimes the impersonality of Internet communications can cause statements to be taken the wrong way. I doubt if JohnZ meant his statements to come across to you the way you took them.

Also, other people following this thread (myself included) may not have known that information had been known for a long time so I learned something from his post.

-- Steve
Old 04-17-2011, 03:21 PM
BrentF
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RatDog
Brent, I didn't see JohnZ's comments as lecturing or demeaning. Sometimes the impersonality of Internet communications can cause statements to be taken the wrong way. I doubt if JohnZ meant his statements to come across to you the way you took them.

Also, other people following this thread (myself included) may not have known that information had been known for a long time so I learned something from his post.

-- Steve
Good point Steve! Chalk it up to my misunderstanding
Old 04-17-2011, 05:26 PM
OldKarz
Safety Car

Location: On the bank of the Columbia River..... Washington State
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Old 04-17-2011, 06:44 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,091 Likes on 4,740 Posts
Army

Every time JohnZ posts I learn something new or find out how to fix a problem I'm fighting. He can lecture and demean me anytime as long as he keeps helping me out!
Old 04-17-2011, 06:49 PM
BrentF
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Every time JohnZ posts I learn something new or find out how to fix a problem I'm fighting. He can lecture and demean me anytime as long as he keeps helping me out!
JohnZ was very helpful to me on another thread concerning interior paint colours. Clearly I misinterpreted his intent on this thread, as his intent was all positive and not demeaning. My mistake.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:16 PM
Thorson
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 19 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Canada in a nutshell! Correct and condescending Quebec calling out poor dumb Ontario. Go Riders!! (sez the West)
Old 04-17-2011, 11:40 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

All 'L-72`s that were even sold over the counter had a TI distributor plugged into it.....I bought several from 'Dexter Chevrolet and stuffed them into Drag boats...

also The engine suffix on those I purchased was 'IP of which I believe is the 450 HP engine that's just rated at a little higher RPM....I currently have one in my 68 Camaro that is a 'IP suffix....
Old 04-18-2011, 12:37 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Thorson
Canada in a nutshell! Correct and condescending Quebec calling out poor dumb Ontario. Go Riders!! (sez the West)
Go Habs
Old 04-18-2011, 12:43 AM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 561 Likes on 321 Posts

Your attitude comes off as 'self absorbed'. So what if certain things get repeated from time to time? .. I also learned something from John's post.

Get notified of new replies

To legit BB ?

Old 04-18-2011, 09:49 AM
hedgehead
Race Director

Location: I'm not doing as well as I expected, but I never expected I would
Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

Have mercy. It's been winter there since, like, forever.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:36 AM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

So we've established that TI was mandatory with L72 in 1966. If I understand correctly, the cost of this option was $312 for the engine plus another $73 on top of that for the TI.

Do you remember if the two items were shown separately on the window sticker?
There was only one price for a L72 and it included the TI distributor whether or not sold in a Vette or over the counter as crate engine....I sold every 66 TI distributor that I took out and used a Mallory in its place because it would have required for me to buy the remote amp and since we sold Mallory parts it was a no brainer......

.If I could have purchased the L72 without the TI, I would have instead of having to pull a distributor I was not going to use....So even the over the counter crate engines had the manditory TI`s......This engine sets in one of my Camaros and the pad is blank as to a Vin number but does have the correct 'IP suffix....masking the engine more valuable than the car....It would be a perfect canidate for a 66 L72 car with a missing engine.......

and this is hard personal knowledge for those doubting that all 1966 L72`s came with a TI #1111093 and was not a additional extra charge....it was standard equipment....all other engines it was optional
Old 04-18-2011, 11:53 AM
provette67
Le Mans Master

Received 719 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironcross
There was only one price for a L72 and it included the TI distributor whether or not sold in a Vette or over the counter as crate engine....I sold every 66 TI distributor that I took out and used a Mallory in its place because it would have required for me to buy the remote amp and since we sold Mallory parts it was a no brainer......

.If I could have purchased the L72 without the TI, I would have instead of having to pull a distributor I was not going to use....So even the over the counter crate engines had the manditory TI`s......This engine sets in one of my Camaros and the pad is blank as to a Vin number but does have the correct 'IP suffix....masking the engine more valuable than the car....It would be a perfect canidate for a 66 L72 car with a missing engine.......

and this is hard personal knowledge for those doubting that all 1966 L72`s came with a TI #1111093 and was not a additional extra charge....it was standard equipment....all other engines it was optional
bingo correct answer.Weather or not it is the one that some want to hear.

Quick Reply: legit BB ?