C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

installed a new brake master cylinder on my restomod

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 12:33 AM
mikey
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts

Default installed a new brake master cylinder on my restomod

well today i finally got around to putting a new dual brake master cylinder into my restomod.. for those who haven't been able to keep up with my sporadic posting about this project, i engineered my own caliper brackets to fit early C4 disc brakes on all 4 corners of my '64. The 1985-87 brakes fit inside 15" wheels, which was key to my project, along with the fact that I can get parts at autozone.
i did not install power brakes which lead to the too-stiff pedal with the C5 master that was donated for the project..
so i found a 7/8" bore dual master cylinder, plumbed new line, bled the whole system thoroughly, adjusted the brake pedal rod and now the manual disc brake setup feels 100% better.
adjusting the brake pedal rod was a critical step, as it had been threaded in (shorter) with the C5 master and with the new master, the pedal was too soft until we lengthened the rod distance again.
just thought i'd post that last bit for anyone who might be "engineering" their own brake system.

now i'm off to search the forum for how to adjust brake pedal height.

cheers
Old 05-01-2011, 06:49 AM
Beach Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Which master cylinder did you finally end up using?
Old 05-01-2011, 11:18 AM
Avispa
Safety Car

Received 892 Likes on 641 Posts

The brake pedal height can be adjusted by cutting the rubber stop bumper mounted in the pedal bracket. Cutting the bumper will raise the pedal. Once you get the height you want, you can change the pushrod length for correct engagement with the master cylinder.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:57 PM
mikey
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts

RJ, et. all,
I lied, it was a 15/16" bore.. I forgot, the 7/8" was more of a F*rd style and I wanted the chevy look..

hotrodsusa.com p/n B3M 2410090 is what I bought.

off to the garage to have a look at that pedal height.. thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To installed a new brake master cylinder on my restomod

Quick Reply: installed a new brake master cylinder on my restomod