C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

? for those with lifts: How did you get it delivered?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 11:39 AM
65-396
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Has anyone used just an engine hoist to remove the lift from the delivery truck?
Old 07-06-2011, 11:57 AM
Mike67nv
Melting Slicks

Received 273 Likes on 194 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

I bought a four post, 9K lb. "Quality Lift" by Challenger last summer. It has all the certifications and some safety and standard features not included with others. They were on display and being sold through Napa Auto during Hot August Nights. Their delivery and installation package is what sold me - the installation even included an extra year on the warranty. After watching three guys with a forklift install it, I know I couldn't have done it by myself.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:02 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,212 Likes on 494 Posts

When I bought my AutoLifter lift, for $300 a company that specializes in lifts brought it out from its shipping destination, assembled and installed it for me, including drilling the concrete and shimming to vertical.

Two guys did it without a forklift (shear muscle power).

Last edited by toddalin; 07-06-2011 at 04:02 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:24 PM
Desert Nomad
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 76 Posts

When I bought my Kwik-Lift, the manufacture shipped it to the Fed-x facility in Commerce,(East L.A.). I went over with my pick-up and put the pieces in the truck by hand. The shipment came in two parts. The first part came through ok, the second part of the shipment was lost and ended up in Sacramento. By the time it got to L.A., two days later, Fed-X had destroyed the packaging and the contents were completely exposed. Luckily, nothing was missing. Can't really say to many nice things about Fed-x on this shipment.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:40 PM
DanielJ
Instructor

Received 148 Likes on 47 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

As others have indicated, lift was delivered to freight yard and they loaded onto my car trailer. I'm lucky to have a little back hoe and used this to remove from trailer and to erect the lift with no other assistance. Don't really need a fork lift if you can borrow a back hoe or rent one from close by.

Last edited by DanielJ; 02-17-2020 at 10:49 AM.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:45 PM
builder
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had my Bendpak delivered to my home. I used a skid loader and a chain. Slid the first box/crate out the end of the truck, wrapped chain around one end and pulled it out far enough to wrap a chain around the center point (i used two chains on each end of the bucket) and lifted it up enough to clear the trailer deck. The truck drove forward until the crate cleared the trailer. Drove the skid loader to park the package and repeated with the other. I put it up all by myself, but would have liked to have one or two other people available.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:10 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 566 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by 65-396
Has anyone used just an engine hoist to remove the lift from the delivery truck?
NOT from the truck........ BUT.................

When I bought my first 4 post lift in Maryland, it was delivered to the truck freight terminal in Annapolis Junction.

I took my open car trailer there. They loaded the 4 poster with a fork lift.

When I got it home, a friend and I unloaded it, piece by piece with the help of my engine hoist.

Of course, that was unloading off of an open bed trailer, NOT a delivery truck/tractor-trailer rig.

Chuck
Old 07-06-2011, 04:15 PM
judge69
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used a landscape trailer to deliver from freight drop off to my garage.
Called Backyard Buddy and got the name of a local installer. Got 3 guys to come and do total install. $450. Money well spent
Old 07-06-2011, 04:17 PM
judge69
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Chuck,

I didnt know you moved to Florida. You were team leader that flight judged my 67 at Timonium in 2006.

I escaped Jersey in 2008 to Jupiter, Fl.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:20 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,862 Likes on 1,104 Posts

I bought my Cytech Double-Park DP-7 lift eleven years ago, and Cytech delivered it fully assembled, on a special trailer they built for show location deliveries; their truck held another fully-assembled lift which they had delivered to the Street Rod Nationals, and my home was about 150 miles from that drop. Their tech guy (Alvin) rolled it off the trailer on the casters, into the garage, removed the casters, leveled the cables, and I was in business. It has worked flawlessly ever since.
Attached Images   
Old 07-06-2011, 05:24 PM
Subfixer
POSSE ZR-1 Driver
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 106 Likes on 69 Posts

I rented a small forklift from United Rent-All's the day my lift arrived. I used it to get the lift off the truck (home delivered) and it helped with construction as well. With the forklift, I was able to assemble it myself.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:43 PM
new vette 62
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Lift

Believe it or not I bought mine local and they put it in a long bed truck and I drove it home. I thought for sure I would break a rear spring or something. It was about 15 miles. I have a daughter in college so some of the boys that were hanging around helped unload it a piece at a time off of the truck. Two of us put it together in about 5 hours. I can't believe how easy it makes everything from cleaning, to changing oil, etc.

PS. It is a Direct Lift.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:25 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

When I bought my Autolift we played stupid and when the truck delivered we just broke the package and off loaded the pieces. There are not that many pieces/boxes and two guys can get it off the truck just as fast as trying to jockey around with a forklift. Have a friend or two there and give the driver $50 to ignore the "forklift" requirement. It doesn't take more than a few minutes to take all the pieces off the truck.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:37 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 318 Likes on 182 Posts

I'm from a really small town and had my 8,000 lb. four post delivered to the local lumber company who also have a forklift. We took the forklift and loaded it onto my 16' trailer with fixed sides on the trailer. Since the trailer sides get in the way of loading and unloading, I stacked empty pallets on the trailer to raise the floor above the sides of the trailer.

Then, when I got it home, I unloaded and assembled the entire thing by myself. Used a floor jack to lift one end and then the other of the ramp with the ram (the heaviest piece) and place it on furniture dollies at one end, the floor jack at the other. Took me a little longer to get it off and assembled than it would if I had help, but where there's a will, there's a way . . . .

Old 07-06-2011, 07:50 PM
1963GrayGray
Pro

Received 180 Likes on 73 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (stock)
C1 of Year Winner (stock) 2019

Another option is to prepurchase a lift that will be used at a car show, such as Carlisle, Bloomington, or any other shows displaying lifts. If you are close to the show or enroute to the manufacturers return trip home, the Lift companies can drop ship it to your garage already assembled.
I have had several friends do this and it works great, with no freight or setup fees.

Dave
Old 07-06-2011, 10:19 PM
mrbeautie
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by 65-396
I used 2, worked great.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:41 AM
SPLITRAY
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Got mine from American Custom Lifts and they sub contracted a local facility here in Washington to do the install. The guy had a commercial boom truck and could just lift and extend into the garage.

Well normally he could do that, but with my drivway grade and door height, he couldn't get it all the way in. So I picked half the system with my overhead chain fall and pulled it in the rest of the way. Worked great.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:38 PM
Classic-Chevy-Guy
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 161 Posts

An alternative is to have a flat bed/tilt car hauler pick it up at the freight terminal. Then the driver can tilt the bed and dump it in your driveway.

Highly recommend an engine hoist and a couple of four wheel furniture moving dollies.

Quick Reply: ? for those with lifts: How did you get it delivered?