C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Capacitors mounted behind the gages?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 10:02 PM
JOHN383
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Capacitors mounted behind the gages?

Are the original capacitors required on the instrument cluster? Are
they still available or will a standard ignition capacitor work.

I am assuming that they were used to control arcing in the induction circuit of the ignition coil and/or AC generator. Any potential damage to the gages by not using them?
Old 12-01-2011, 10:37 PM
5thvet
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

They were there for AM radio reception so you don't need them unless you want the originality.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:43 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,091 Likes on 4,740 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by 5thvet
They were there for AM radio reception so you don't need them unless you want the originality.
Correct - and if you have the original capacitors they probably went bad a decade or two ago so they aren't doing anything anyway...
Old 12-01-2011, 11:03 PM
K2
Melting Slicks

Received 130 Likes on 63 Posts

I was cruising on the freeway one afternoon a few years ago and all of a sudden the engine died and a huge cloud of smoke erupted from under the dash. I killed the ignition and coasted off onto the shoulder, grabbed the extinguisher and looked for a fire, seeing none, I saved the extinguisher and looked under the hood, all ok there so looked around under the dash and still couldn't see anything. I spotted some molten wax on the carpet by my feet but it was getting dark and I couldn't really see a whole lot. I didn't see any fried wires so I cautiously turned on the ignition and no smoke emerged so I tried to start it and it cranked right up. Drove on to my destination with nary a problem. Later I drove home and the next day I got under the dash with a light and discovered the remnants of the molten capacitor. It apparently developed an internal short which caused the meltdown. Scared the heck out of me. I removed the remains of the capacitor and have driven it without ever since.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:18 PM
babbah
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 103 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by K2
I was cruising on the freeway one afternoon a few years ago and all of a sudden the engine died and a huge cloud of smoke erupted from under the dash. I killed the ignition and coasted off onto the shoulder, grabbed the extinguisher and looked for a fire, seeing none, I saved the extinguisher and looked under the hood, all ok there so looked around under the dash and still couldn't see anything. I spotted some molten wax on the carpet by my feet but it was getting dark and I couldn't really see a whole lot. I didn't see any fried wires so I cautiously turned on the ignition and no smoke emerged so I tried to start it and it cranked right up. Drove on to my destination with nary a problem. Later I drove home and the next day I got under the dash with a light and discovered the remnants of the molten capacitor. It apparently developed an internal short which caused the meltdown. Scared the heck out of me. I removed the remains of the capacitor and have driven it without ever since.
Which capacitor was it? On what component or gauge?
Old 12-01-2011, 11:42 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by babbah
It had to have been the one on the amp meter as that's the only one under the dash.

Jim
Old 12-01-2011, 11:56 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure of what gauge you're talking either, but am familiar with electronics. Capacitors across gauge terminals are sometimes used to slow down(dampen) response time or jumpy needles. If this is your problem, should be able to find a suitable replacement from places like Radio Shack or Parts Express.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:28 AM
K2
Melting Slicks

Received 130 Likes on 63 Posts

Yes it was on the ammeter connected between the battery side gauge terminal and ground and was for radio noise suppression.

Last edited by K2; 12-02-2011 at 02:41 AM.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:02 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,091 Likes on 4,740 Posts
Army

The capacitor for the ammeter gauge appears in the Options section of the '61 AIM under Radio -- nowhere else. It was for noise suppression and served no other purpose.

Usually capacitors fail silently and you never even know it...getting smoke and dripping wax from one is rare.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 12-02-2011 at 07:04 AM.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:30 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,334 Likes on 1,716 Posts

Originally Posted by 1snake
It had to have been the one on the amp meter as that's the only one under the dash.

Jim
I'm on beach on Big Island HI so unable to check my 65 or the AIM but
I think there are 4 under dash. One at each lower corner of cluster, another a little higher on the cluster housing on right side, and one atop the signal flasher high on the radio side cover. John Z ?

Sorry, I know I should forget corvettes while on vacation, but that's why they call it an obsession.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:55 PM
JOHN383
Instructor

I'm changing over the underdash wire harness at the same time. Is di-electric grease recommended on the firewall plug connector(s) (fusebox to light/ignition harness)?
Old 12-02-2011, 05:48 PM
vettjam
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Based on info I gained from this Forum, I believe my 65 should have 4 radio noise suppression capacitors under the dash; two at the bottom of the cluster, one for the ammeter and one by the ignition switch; one for the brake switch by the brake pedal; and one on the turn signal flasher.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:28 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,862 Likes on 1,104 Posts

Originally Posted by vettjam
Based on info I gained from this Forum, I believe my 65 should have 4 radio noise suppression capacitors under the dash; two at the bottom of the cluster, one for the ammeter and one by the ignition switch; one for the brake switch by the brake pedal; and one on the turn signal flasher.
Plus one on the tan wire to the "Brake" warning light.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:02 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by 65hihp
I'm on beach on Big Island HI so unable to check my 65 or the AIM but
I think there are 4 under dash. One at each lower corner of cluster, another a little higher on the cluster housing on right side, and one atop the signal flasher high on the radio side cover. John Z ?

Sorry, I know I should forget corvettes while on vacation, but that's why they call it an obsession.
Originally Posted by vettjam
Your 65's should have 5 capacitors under the dash HOWEVER, my reply was to the question asked by babbah about K2's story about his 61 and there is only one on that car.

Jim
Old 12-03-2011, 12:08 PM
babbah
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 103 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Plus one on the tan wire to the "Brake" warning light.
How many should be on a 1967 model?
Old 12-03-2011, 07:55 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

How many should be on a 1967 model?
All of the radio capacitors are shown in the U69 section of your Assembly Manual.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:34 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 432 Likes on 322 Posts

Just replaced my main harness, and did not reinstall any of the capacitors. Bagged them for the next owner since they are not needed with the Solid State IPOD conversion I run with and don't want any useless old stuff in the new system. You don't need them unless you are running a bone stock tube version of the Wonderbar. Pilot Dan

Get notified of new replies

To Capacitors mounted behind the gages?

Old 12-04-2011, 08:02 AM
JOHN383
Instructor

When you replaced your harness did you use dielectric grease on the firewall connection
to prevent corrosion? Is it necessary?
Old 12-04-2011, 03:52 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JOHN383
When you replaced your harness did you use dielectric grease on the firewall connection
to prevent corrosion? Is it necessary?
It's not "necessary", but it's a good idea; after you go to the trouble of cleaning the terminals, why not protect them against corrosion?
Old 12-22-2011, 09:29 PM
flyeri
Drifting

Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Pilot Dan
Just replaced my main harness, and did not reinstall any of the capacitors. Bagged them for the next owner since they are not needed with the Solid State IPOD conversion I run with and don't want any useless old stuff in the new system. You don't need them unless you are running a bone stock tube version of the Wonderbar. Pilot Dan
Pilot Dan, Please tell me about the iPod conversion. I am removing the cheap radio previously installed and want to put a amp in the storage box and a couple 6x9 speakers in enclosures in the back and just hook up the iPod or iPad. Thanks from one pilot to another.

Quick Reply: Capacitors mounted behind the gages?