C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

496 BBC and Oil pan ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 11:51 AM
4 Speed Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 338 Likes on 193 Posts

Default 496 BBC and Oil pan ?

I am building a 496 BBC for my 66. Now my question I have is if a GM factory oil pan will fit given the 4.25" stroke and larger Callies rods. Or will I have a problem with the rods hitting the oil pan rail. I don't have a GM vette pan for mock up. Given how aftermarket pans are notched for stroker applications I have my doubts that a stock vette pan will work. I am not interested in a deep pan as the engine is already low in these cars. I would like to limit the pan depth to 8 - 8 1/4" max.

Side note: I will be running headers thus some of the Moroso 8" deep pans have side kickouts which reduce the area to get the oil filter out between the engine and the headers. Thus I probably wouldn't use this style pan. I have looked at some GM truck pans but they a 9" deep and the sump is stepped. Some have rail notches some don't.

Someone here must have run into this issue.

Thanks in advance.

Dave
Old 01-26-2012, 12:37 PM
street62
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

A freind of mine ran this combo in his alcohal funny car in the 80's. He used a tall (truck) block .060 over with the 4.25 crank,and alumanum rods. He had to grind the hell out of the pan rail to get clearance and not hit water. Then he used a GM 6 QT pan with the trap door in it.To get that to fit you had to use a torch to heat the spots that the rods hit and beat it with a ball peen hammer. He used studs instead of bolts for the pan . He also welded some strips of steel on the bottom to act as skids. It would often hit. The name of his car was the WEELER DEALER , one of the team strange cars.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:07 PM
LB66383
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

On my SBC, I have a Moroso 7-qt kick-out pan and under-car headers. There is plenty of room to get the oil filter in and out. That's with a spin-on filter, I don't know about the canister type.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:34 PM
4 Speed Dave
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LB66383
On my SBC, I have a Moroso 7-qt kick-out pan and under-car headers. There is plenty of room to get the oil filter in and out. That's with a spin-on filter, I don't know about the canister type.
I have also had similar side kickout pans on SBC's however with smaller tube headers and the SBC is not as wide as BBC at the pan rail. This all combined adds up to be a problem with these side kickout pans on a BBC. This 496 will have a standard spin on oil filter.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:32 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,949 Likes on 947 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

There are quite a few pans that will work. First thing is you need a good pan on a 496 if you're going to rev it much at all. That extra 1/4-1/2" stroke changes things with windage a good bit and since you're using decent rods I'm assuming you are building some HP. The basic Moroso 20401.20403, 20408, 20412 pans will fit with Hooker 2-1/8" headers just fine. Will need a mini strarter that is adjustable for position for some combo's. The tricky part is the front part by the #1 main cap. The *good* pans are a little deeper there and will hit the steering linkage. These pans are stock shaped up there which is a little tight for a 4.25 stroke that is going to RPM much, but the better choices of the above use scrapers inside to help.

The Milodon 31188 is a fantastic pan and will take care of anything. This pan will clear steering linkage (manual) just barely as well as Steeroids. Haven't tried it with factory P/S. It's got a *stepped* design that to me is best because it actually makes the bottom portion of th sump a little smaller (instead of kicked out). That means whatever oil gets back to the pan is going to be deeper over the pickup which is what matters. You have to be careful jumping curbs with it...but it's above most headers and about even with the bottom of a scattershield.

JIM
Old 01-26-2012, 07:03 PM
4 Speed Dave
Burning Brakes

Thank you for the reply. I fully understand the windage problems with long stroke engines. My 406 has a pan with everything in it to control the oil as I run it to 7500 rpm on the shifts and 7600 in the traps and leave the line between 6000-6400 rpm on the 2 step. With that engine I have no oil control problems at all.

So based upon what you state above it seems that the square boxed front section pans that are 5" deep in the front area will not work as they will be too deep and would conflict with the steering. I am going to have to review my dads 67 427 vette up close to see what kind of clearance he has. The milodon pan you reference is I think I saw 4 1/2" deep in the front section.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:41 AM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,949 Likes on 947 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

The Milodon just barely clears...but we've used it in a lot of cars. The Moroso's that are deeper than stock in the front are about 1/4" deeper than the Milodon in that section and will rub linkage. That's how close things are. The others that are stock in the front section will clear fine and with the good scrapers inside control oil pretty well. The Milodon is still a pretty deep pan...just depends on how low you make the car and what you have to jump over!

The good news is mine has taken some pretty hard whacks over the years as well as bottoming out on some *spirited* back country driving with two people in the car ( and my Moroso drag springs and shocks on the front) and have never had a leak occur. Ran over a giant tire chunk in the road one time that bent oil filter and you could see the hard hit the pan took..but it never had an issue.

JIM

Last edited by 427Hotrod; 01-27-2012 at 08:45 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To 496 BBC and Oil pan ?

Quick Reply: 496 BBC and Oil pan ?