C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

KEISLER's NEW SS700 SERIES TRANSMISSION

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 08:53 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,141 Likes on 1,278 Posts

Originally Posted by 6T5RUSH

Back to my leanings on ratios, what say you?

Thanks in advance for your insight!

Regards,

Jim
In God We Trust!
Well, even though you asked a loooong time ago: If I were to get the new SS tranny I'd go with the wide ratio box. I do a lot of autocrossing and the numerically higher first gear (2.97 vs. 2.66) compared to the CR box would help the launch quite a bit. I once had a Keisler TKO in my 67 and the 3.27:1 first gear felt fabulous with my 3.36:1 rear. I too have a mildly upgraded 327, and it's not a torque monster either, so a lower first gear would be the way to go for me. Personally, I'd have to wait to see where Keisler comes in pricewise and how speedily orders get filled before I can commit to the new SS box.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:02 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 730 Likes on 624 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by LouieM
Well, even though you asked a loooong time ago: If I were to get the new SS tranny I'd go with the wide ratio box. I do a lot of autocrossing and the numerically higher first gear (2.97 vs. 2.66) compared to the CR box would help the launch quite a bit. I once had a Keisler TKO in my 67 and the 3.27:1 first gear felt fabulous with my 3.36:1 rear. I too have a mildly upgraded 327, and it's not a torque monster either, so a lower first gear would be the way to go for me. Personally, I'd have to wait to see where Keisler comes in pricewise and how speedily orders get filled before I can commit to the new SS box.
again, i agree... i have a 3.09 1st with a ZZ4 and 3.36 with a .73 OD. the 3.09 works great for me.
Bill
Old 02-20-2012, 03:42 AM
Nev Williams
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 65tripleblack
Great questions. Legend is supposedly a brand new company, so I doubt if they have sold these in the past. I still haven't decided on whether or not to take Keisler up on the free "upgrade" or not, and stick with the RS600. The RS600 is a tried-and-true T45 in disguise.
Originally Posted by Keisler Automotive
Bill,

Q: What is the plan for on-going support of the RS600?
A: RS600 will be supported indefinitely. So parts support and service is not an issue. The Countershaft is being redesigned for better manufacturability so that we can offer this popular ratio again later this year, coinciding the with generation 2 RS...................
When you look at the SS, you are seeing what the RS will look like at its next upgrade.

........... For this reason, we are doing something special for those in que, and giving them the opportunity to free upgrade to the SS700.
This kind of ticks me off a bit.
I was all set a while back to order RS600 thru the group buy. Only trouble was the close ratio option that I liked, meant I would have to use a gearbox that has alot more torque capacity that my 327 would ever put out ....oh well it will never wear out i thought, get ready to push buy now
......................then group order got canned

Well i thought I would wait a while then lead time on RS600 seemed to be as long as ever so thought might as well just order the thing and fork over deposit money & be prepared to wait a fair while..
.......................then RS600 got canned for the immediate future anyway.
WTF
I really do not need yet another 100ft/lb extra capacity (of the SS700) added to transmission and I'm sure will be alot more expen$ive

Looks like if I want a RS600 with nice close ratios, I'll have a very long wait (till the end of the year or beyond ???)
I'm sure it that will also be more expensive again by then as well.

I'm really not sure what the forward position is, for me or alot of others like me. That is, those of us who do not have the need for 700lb/ft of fire breathing torque to handle a 7,8 or 9 litre engine.

I just want nice close ratio gearbox that does not cost the earth for my 350/400 lb/ft smallblock. I'm sure there are alot of others in the same boat

...... are you guys at Keisler listening

Last edited by Nev Williams; 02-20-2012 at 03:49 AM.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:45 AM
6T5RUSH
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 120 Likes on 99 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Thanks for bringing the question of what ratio to use back on top.

LouisM & wmf62, I think the wide ratio with my 3.73:1 posi would not be good for my driving style. Definitely see the wide ratio with 3.36:1 rr gears to be a better choice for you guys.

It's obvious the lead times on all the orders needs to be addressed. I'm hoping Shafi Keisler is turning this around as we speak here.

Driving season is just around the corner for most of us.

Jim
In God We Trust!
Old 02-20-2012, 08:54 AM
66 Vette
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Nev, if enough of the current orders of the RS600 update to the SS700 you may get the RS600 sooner than you thought. I do hope those of us that have updated to the SS700 receive a firm delivery date in the near future so we can plan for the installation. I agree spring is near and I would have liked to have installed my new transmission over the winter.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:36 PM
65air_coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 373 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Nev Williams
[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=2]This kind of ticks me off a bit.
I was all set a while back to order RS600 thru the group buy. Only trouble was the close ratio option that I liked, meant I would have to use a gearbox that has alot more torque capacity that my 327 would ever put out ....oh well it will never wear out i thought, get ready to push buy now
......................then group order got canned

Well i thought I would wait a while then lead time on RS600 seemed to be as long as ever so thought might as well just order the thing and fork over deposit money & be prepared to wait a fair while...........then RS600 got canned for the immediate future anyway. WTF
I really do not need yet another 100ft/lb extra capacity (of the SS700) added to transmission and I'm sure will be alot more expen$ive

Looks like if I want a RS600 with nice close ratios, I'll have a very long wait (till the end of the year or beyond ???)
I'm sure it that will also be more expensive again by then as well.

I'm really not sure what the forward position is, for me or alot of others like me. That is, those of us who do not have the need for 700lb/ft of fire breathing torque to handle a 7,8 or 9 litre engine.

I just want nice close ratio gearbox that does not cost the earth for my 350/400 lb/ft smallblock. I'm sure there are alot of others in the same boat

...... are you guys at Keisler listening
I'm confused by some of your comments. I too was part of the group buy and was upset by its cancellation. And like you, I wanted the ratios only available with the RS600 although don't need that torque capacity either. But after considering all my options, I decided to order the RS600 anyway.

But nothing I've read said it is has been canned or that its delivery is much different than Keisler was indicating back when we were considering the group buy. If you want to accept their offer of a free upgrade to the SS700, then there is more lead time, otherwise as Shaffi said, the RS600's are shipping and all outstanding orders are going to be filled by the end of May. Which I believe means that those of us that ordered months ago will still get ours before then.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:07 PM
Godholio
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I think my favorite part about this is that the people most outraged have no stake in the matter whatsoever.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:43 PM
Dr L-88
Le Mans Master

Received 1,275 Likes on 469 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Winner - Modified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year (stock)
C2 of Year Winner (stock) 2019
2017 C1 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Godholio
I think my favorite part about this is that the people most outraged have no stake in the matter whatsoever.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:10 AM
TC233
CF Senior Fox Bat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 616 Likes on 359 Posts

Well in the last 4 months I have left 4 messages, and sent 9 emails. I have yet to get a call back, or for that matter even an acknowledgement I made the phone calls or sent the emails. I find your apologies disingenuous. How you have managed to survive this long without people just dumping you and your products I have no idea. You can, and maybe do, make the best transmission out there, but who cares if you cannot meet delivery dates, cannot build stock and cannot establish a reasonable period for purchase.

If someone actually does get one of your transmissions and needs some advice or has a problem, I can only presume they go thru the same waiting list to contact anyone. I for one will not get sucked into this. Good luck to the rest of you, but Keisler has been stricken from my list of Transmission suppliers even if they announce a NEW SUPER DUPER transmision that will knock peoples socks off. You do not deliver, you do not answer emails, you do not answer messages and you do not provide a timely product, that has all the markings of a company in a death spiral to being out of business.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:12 AM
TC233
CF Senior Fox Bat
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Godholio
You need to have a deposit tied up for a year to have a stake? What if you just want a dam transmission?
Old 02-21-2012, 08:34 AM
waltonb123
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TC233
You need to have a deposit tied up for a year to have a stake? What if you just want a dam transmission?
So you don't have any investment here?
Old 02-21-2012, 10:02 AM
TC233
CF Senior Fox Bat
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by waltonb123
So you don't have any investment here?
My investment was stupidly waiting for this company to answer their emails or return a phone call.
Now watching them state here that they are addressing those with orders. Which means they still have not had time to address those without orders who want a transmission.
So they are leaving the impression that things are getting better, which I can say is not the case. Anyone that orders a transmission today will get a note that there order will be upgraded to the SS800 I have no doubt whatsoever. They are operating like Boeing. Promise today and deliver in 18 months if you are lucky.
So as long as people keep this issue at the forefront they will not suck anyone other forum members into this stupid "deposit, and promise routine"

You guys are in, I wish you luck, but it bothers me they make the appearance here as if the forum recognizes them as a responsible dealer. They are far from it. Why anyone would placate to this group, I have no idea.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:49 AM
waltonb123
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TC233
My investment was stupidly waiting for this company to answer their emails or return a phone call.
Now watching them state here that they are addressing those with orders. Which means they still have not had time to address those without orders who want a transmission.
So they are leaving the impression that things are getting better, which I can say is not the case. Anyone that orders a transmission today will get a note that there order will be upgraded to the SS800 I have no doubt whatsoever. They are operating like Boeing. Promise today and deliver in 18 months if you are lucky.
So as long as people keep this issue at the forefront they will not suck anyone other forum members into this stupid "deposit, and promise routine"

You guys are in, I wish you luck, but it bothers me they make the appearance here as if the forum recognizes them as a responsible dealer. They are far from it. Why anyone would placate to this group, I have no idea.
Perhaps they read your thread on "unhit" and decided to hit the ignore button along with a lot of folks on this forum.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:07 PM
TC233
CF Senior Fox Bat
Support Corvetteforum!

Perhaps they read your thread on "unhit" and decided to hit the ignore button along with a lot of folks on this forum.
Don't change the subject, thats called hijacking.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:59 PM
65-StingRay
Burning Brakes

Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

Default SS-700 Tranny

I can understand the frustration of the many that have not been informed or put off by the exremely long wait involved.

I decided I wanted a 5-spd tranny 4 years ago. So of course I was interested in the KEISLER Tremec trannies. But the list of problems then included ie. driveline vibrations; poor shift quality; price; poor fit in the tunnel - this kept me away.

Then the new upgraded versions of the RS. Now the RS is becoming the SS.

I almost put down a deposit a few months ago but I spent the money on upgrading the front suspension and steering. The wait still continues. Now no one else has come out with a new 5-spd yet. So I wait.... and wait.

I am going to ride this waiting period out. If Keisler gets their s_ _ t together I will purchase the SS-700 because I think this is going to be a great transmission (my opinion). So if by the fall they have caught up with their shortfall I will place an order then. But I will not put down a deposit if I have to wait a year. In fact I will not put down a deposit if the wait is longer than 3 months.

Hopefully things will work out for the people waiting and Keisler's suppliers will start supplying.

65-StingRay
Wayne
Old 02-21-2012, 08:02 PM
Keisler Automotive
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 65-StingRay
I can understand the frustration of the many that have not been informed or put off by the exremely long wait involved.

I decided I wanted a 5-spd tranny 4 years ago. So of course I was interested in the KEISLER Tremec trannies. But the list of problems then included ie. driveline vibrations; poor shift quality; price; poor fit in the tunnel - this kept me away.

I almost put down a deposit a few months ago but I spent the money on upgrading the front suspension and steering. The wait still continues. Now no one else has come out with a new 5-spd yet. So I wait.... and wait.

I am going to ride this waiting period out. If Keisler gets their s_ _ t together I will purchase the SS-700 because I think this is going to be a great transmission (my opinion). So if by the fall they have caught up with their shortfall I will place an order then. But I will not put down a deposit if I have to wait a year. In fact I will not put down a deposit if the wait is longer than 3 months.

Hopefully things will work out for the people waiting and Keisler's suppliers will start supplying.

65-StingRay
Wayne
Wayne,

I completely understand your concerns about wait time, etc. This is why we paused the RS600 orders at the beginning of this year so we can build out the orders that do not elect the upgrade, and get to a normal lead time like we have with the other RS models now.

The upgrade was a good faith offer on behalf of KE and that of Legend Gear & Transmission. By the response we have received by phone and email thus far, the offer is well appreciated. IF we did not offer the transmission upgrade, we would take heat from all of the patient customers who have waited to receive their RS600.

Manufacturing is a tough job, especially in this economy. We have worked very hard to bring the RS series to market, and we have shipped close to 700 units already since last summer. Still, this is not enough, and we are increasing production now that we are receiving the gears and shafts that are needed.

Keisler Engineering developed the Corvette and Muscle Car retrofit market using the Tremec TKO product more than 10 years ago. The Keisler Kit IS the benchmark by which all competitive products are measured. This is a well known fact. And with the RS series, we brought the platform to an entirely new level of feature, value, shift quality and fit. The SS series, and the upcoming generation 2 RS series will further this market along in a new direction that is very different and better than what anyone has seen to date. Good things take time. The road to improvement is not a simple one and requires patience and persistence. Keisler Engineering is persistent. I am persistent. And we will make good on our promise.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:29 PM
Nev Williams
Pro

Originally Posted by 65-StingRay

I almost put down a deposit a few months ago ............................
.......................... The wait still continues. Now no one else has come out with a new 5-spd yet. So I wait.... and wait.

Wayne
Wayne,
I'm in much the same boat you, except the transmission is going to have to be shipped half way roundthe world.
Enginneringwise all my car needs, at the very most, is the RS600.
I really cannot justify more dollars for a transmission that is obviously built for a hugely stouter engine than I have in my car
I'm just trying to figure out - can I still order a RS600 close ratio & if so, when later in the year, might I be able to do this and have it shipped to me without another 6 month wait after that.
Can someone at Keisler clarify this somewhat muddy area?

Neville

Last edited by Nev Williams; 02-22-2012 at 04:47 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To KEISLER's NEW SS700 SERIES TRANSMISSION

Old 02-21-2012, 11:39 PM
kiwigt
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Nev Williams
Wayne,
I'm in much the same boat you, except the transmission is going to have to be shipped half way roundthe world.
Enginneringwise all my car needs, at the very most, is the RS600.
I really cannot justify more dollars for a transmission that is obviously built for a hugely stouter engine than I have in my car
I'm just trying to figure out - can I still order a RS600 close ratio & if so when later in the year I might be able to do this and have it shipped to me without another 6 month wait after that.
Can someone at Kiesler clarify this somewhat muddy area?

Neville
My view FWIW Neville - fit a T5z from Modern Driveline. They are brilliant to deal with and offer truly personalized and absolutely reliable service to us guys on the other side of the world. And a T5z has taken my horsepower/torque abuse (see my earlier post in this thread) for many years with zero issues.

Last edited by kiwigt; 02-21-2012 at 11:44 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:46 PM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

OMG!!
Old 02-21-2012, 11:55 PM
Nev Williams
Pro

Originally Posted by kiwigt
My view FWIW Neville - fit a T5z from Modern Driveline. They are brilliant to deal with and offer truly personalized and absolutely reliable service to us guys on the other side of the world. And a T5z has taken my horsepower/torque abuse (see my earlier post in this thread) for many years with zero issues.
Chris,
The issue with these trans is shifter position is out of position.
I'm not sure Modern Driveline could cover that issue.
What makes the Keisler T45 attractive is it is enginnered to fit as a kit into the C2 Covette - no cutting or mods to frame body etc.
I'd order one, if they would only stop moving the goalposts.

Neville

Quick Reply: KEISLER's NEW SS700 SERIES TRANSMISSION