C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1963 Engine ID

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 11:47 AM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Swept57
Outside the purchase price, replacement of belts, hoses etc., and general maintenance, I wasn't planning on investing another dime. There is actually some new trim (not sure if NOS or reproduction) that is included (rocker moldings, taillights). I would just sell that stuff.
Since you're getting it for free, and if you have the space, keep it. You never know how you're going to feel in the distant future. And in the future, they won't be cheap.

When you say which differential, you mean gearing? Or were there optional types?
Yes, gearing. It won't prove which engine, but it's a piece of the puzzle to help narrow down the possibilities

Otherwise, sounds exciting to buy something like that for pure fun, patina. Good luck.

Last edited by ifitgoesfast; 03-20-2013 at 11:51 AM.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:04 PM
Swept57
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by TC233
I think the guy will look at you funny lol But like my dad always told me
"you can always raise your price, but can never lower it" so insult first, and if they guy is still standing in front of you, you are already ahead lol
I do think $18K is on the low side, but just short of insulting so I will stick with that. My gut feeling says $20K and I might go to $22K considering that the car is local so transporting isn't any issue.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:08 PM
gold63
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Have you made sure the tags are proper...rivets, weld etc.?
Is it an early or late '63?
Old 03-20-2013, 12:27 PM
Swept57
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gold63
Have you made sure the tags are proper...rivets, weld etc.?
Is it an early or late '63?
All I did was check that the title matched the VIN Tag. I am going by memory, but I think the VIN tag had rivets. VIN indicates a Sept 62 build date. What should I be looking for? Definitely not interested if VIN has been tampered with.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:08 PM
gold63
Burning Brakes

All I did was check that the title matched the VIN Tag. I am going by memory, but I think the VIN tag had rivets. VIN indicates a Sept 62 build date. What should I be looking for? Definitely not interested if VIN has been tampered with.
The vin tag should be spot welded and the trim tag riveted.
Check the archives here for many pictures.
Sept '62 is a very early car and the body number on the trim tag should reflect that. Do the cars colors match the trim tag?
Old 03-20-2013, 01:35 PM
Mark_Milner
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

As many seem to forget in giving "facts" and what several others point out quite clearly, nothing is set in stone on these cars.

What you see today "MAY" be how they were built originally. In the '60s and '70s, lots of things happened to these cars. I have seen '63s and '64s with '65-'67 gauges. You know that didn't happen at the factory. I have seen one '66 with '63 gauges.
Why?
Someone must have either liked them, or needed some and had '63 ones available.

Unless you know the history from the first day, nothing is 100% sure. And even if you know the original owner, it may not be as told. There have been more than one story of someone buying from an original owner, who after lots of questioning, remembers that 6 months after buying the car, the engine was replaced, the transmission replaced, the heads replaced, or something. It was 30 or 40 years ago, somewhat insignificant as warranty covered it all, and they just forgot.

So when buying any of these cars, either plan to make the car the way you think is original, or enjoy it the way it is. It is a mass-produced product of the American workforce. It isn't a hand-crafted masterpiece from Rembrandt.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:38 PM
Mark_Milner
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

Does $20K sound like a reasonable offer? Aside from the mods mentioned above, it has power steering, 4-speed, and both tops. The car is complete and runs great. There is no body damage beyond minor nicks and scrapes but the red paint is oxidized. Interior is complete and in pretty good shape. All lights and gauges work. Headlights operate smoothly. The car came from the south; there is no rust on the frame. The price guides I looked at put it at around $25K but I am new to Corvettes and I don't know if the guides are considered accurate.

If you want anything of real value in the way of information, you HAVE to have pictures of it so that people can see what you have. The most insignificant details to you can often mean a lot to others.

The guides are there to make money. They are often months behind the market. They cannot take everything into consideration and are generalities.

When you talk about "shaved", this could simply be shaving the parking lights off to a complete custom front end. That has a great impact of what the value is.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:51 PM
Rich Yanulis
Melting Slicks

Received 199 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark_Milner
...........I have seen one '66 with '63 gauges.
Why?
Why?

Because the gages installed in 1963 were the best looking of any year Corvette ever produced

Old 03-20-2013, 02:15 PM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Rich Yanulis
Why?

Because the gages installed in 1963 were the best looking of any year Corvette ever produced

Only if you exclude 1964 gages from the contest... they're like back lit
Old 03-21-2013, 08:55 PM
Swept57
Burning Brakes

I checked out the tags closer. VIN tag is welded, Trim tag is riveted. The body date and final build date are consistent (10/62). What was surprising to me is the current red/black was originally saddle tan/saddle tan leather. Also there is no hole in radiator support so not FI. Will go back during daylight hours to look for traces of these colors.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:39 PM
gold63
Burning Brakes

I checked out the tags closer. VIN tag is welded, Trim tag is riveted. The body date and final build date are consistent (10/62). What was surprising to me is the current red/black was originally saddle tan/saddle tan leather. Also there is no hole in radiator support so not FI. Will go back during daylight hours to look for traces of these colors.
Sounds nice!
Maybe you can use that as a bargaining chip with your offer. Wrong paint and interior color will cost you to correct. Many, many cars changed colors so no surprise. Most often to Red.
From what I can tell, Saddle Tan seems to be the rarest color for '63 and leather a pretty rare option. Plus for you!

Would be interested to know the serial # etc. so I can add it to my '63 file. Send me a PM if it's no bother.

Syd
Old 03-22-2013, 06:15 AM
Swept57
Burning Brakes

If it ends up in my garage, I will be happy to share info. I don't think it is my place to divulge VIN of someone else's vehicle without them knowing, but I will ask.

I haven't seen any mention of broadcast sheets. Didn't GM use them in 63? Even my 57 Dodge had one taped to top of glove box. And for the Dodge, with proof of ownership, Chrysler Historical Society will provide a copy of the original IBM punch card that tells exactly how it left the factory. No such thing here?
Old 03-22-2013, 07:25 AM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

If it ends up in my garage, I will be happy to share info. I don't think it is my place to divulge VIN of someone else's vehicle without them knowing, but I will ask.

I haven't seen any mention of broadcast sheets. Didn't GM use them in 63? Even my 57 Dodge had one taped to top of glove box. And for the Dodge, with proof of ownership, Chrysler Historical Society will provide a copy of the original IBM punch card that tells exactly how it left the factory. No such thing here?
I wish. They placed tank stickers on later year C2's, not sure if that was 1967 only or if it included others. 1963 and 1964 I don't think there were any build sheets put anywhere within the cars. Would be nice though. I hope someone one day figures out where the build records went. Many have tried. I fear if someone stumbles upon boxes full of them doesn't fear for their life though from less than honest builders.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:40 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,124 Likes on 1,372 Posts

67 was the first year that Corvettes left St. Louis, with a build sheet affixed to the car. They were glued to the top of the gas tank.

Unfortunately, because of their location, they don't hold up well there, and were usually lost when tanks were removed. Of course today, every 67 427/435 in the country has it's original tank sticker, even though most cars were missing them, 30 years ago!

Unlike Chrysler, Chevrolet has no records available for any cars, built in the 50's, 60's or most of the 70's. GM of Canada, has records for Chevrolet's shipped into Canada as a new cars, and Pontiac has pretty complete build records available also. From all indications, Chevrolet's records were either lost, destroyed, or burned in a warehouse fire.

The NCRS has most of the shipping documents, for Corvettes built between 62 and 75. If your a member of the NCRS, you can buy a report listing the dealer that originally ordered the car, the dealer's address, and the car's build date. These reports have no other information about the car though. GM Historical, does have some build records for Corvettes built in the late 70's, and build sheets and window stickers, can be bought for any Corvette built at Bowling Green.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:49 AM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

Default records

Originally Posted by gbvette62
Of course today, every 67 427/435 in the country has it's original tank sticker, even though most cars were missing them, 30 years ago!
Originally Posted by gbvette62
From all indications, Chevrolet's records were either lost, destroyed, or burned in a warehouse fire.
Can you imagine if they were found for every Corvette? The reactions would include; excitement, anger, confusion, and depression
Old 03-23-2013, 08:58 AM
Swept57
Burning Brakes

Didn't take long to find evidence of the Saddle Tan paint.

Are these 63 gauges? Lighting is too poor to see evidence of Saddle Tan interior.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:34 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,124 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Yep, those are 63 gauges.

Get notified of new replies

To 1963 Engine ID

Old 03-23-2013, 07:16 PM
Swept57
Burning Brakes

I was able to find traces of saddle tan interior (door panels and carpet dyed). I also found a local corvette guy to look at it. He believed everything checked out so I drove it home today. Even though I have no plans to restore it, he thought the Saddle Tan/Saddle Tan leather option would be a plus if I sell. Thanks to everyone for helping me on this.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:31 PM
gold63
Burning Brakes

I was able to find traces of saddle tan interior (door panels and carpet dyed). I also found a local corvette guy to look at it. He believed everything checked out so I drove it home today. Even though I have no plans to restore it, he thought the Saddle Tan/Saddle Tan leather option would be a plus if I sell. Thanks to everyone for helping me on this.
Congrats!!
Old 03-23-2013, 08:53 PM
Swept57
Burning Brakes

gold63, I will PM VIN and trim tag data. My new Corvette friend says about 5% had leather interior. Does that sound right?

Quick Reply: 1963 Engine ID