C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Double Spot Weld on Vin Plate

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 04:11 AM
sidepipe seeker
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Double Spot Weld on Vin Plate

Hello Fellow Enthusiasts; Was viewing this 1964 Corvette on eBay & whilst scrolling through the posted pictures, came across "1" showing the Vin plate. The photo clearly shows the Vin plate being held in place by "4" spot welds ( 2 on each end), has anyone else seen a "4" spot weld Vin Plate???!!!....Thanks!!!...Mark

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Corvette-Corvette-Coupe-RARE-BLACK-BLACK-4spd-365-HP-Side-Pipe-Stunner-/271382295803?forcerrptr=true&hash=item3f2fa534fb&item=271382295803&pt=US_Cars_Trucks
Old 01-30-2014, 05:26 AM
rich5962
Safety Car

Received 588 Likes on 351 Posts

I posted the link of the photo for you....
Answer? Not uncommon. Because if the area behind the weld wasn't ground off properly, the first weld may not get good adhesion, the operator would just hit it again.

Also possible that they had instructions to do so due to vin plates falling off from 1963 and earlier 1964 production, reported by customers/dealers.

JohnZ was there and hopefully he'll comment too.

Rich
p.s. I'd like their photo better if the Z-bar was more visible to see the grind marks and "patina", like the attached pic of my sold 63 coupe below.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:32 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,091 Likes on 4,740 Posts
Army

Here's my '63 coupe. The appearance will "throw you" at first until somebody clues you in to the process for attachment.
Attached Images  
Old 01-30-2014, 08:50 AM
Rich Yanulis
Melting Slicks

Received 199 Likes on 146 Posts

What do you Guys think about the stamp pad on the subject car?
The last two digits (22) seem to be on an angle with the rest of the sequence.
Does this look correct?
Attached Images  
Old 01-30-2014, 10:43 AM
rich5962
Safety Car

Received 588 Likes on 351 Posts

With a Dec 12 car build date, the Dec 04 Flint Plant engine assembly seems about right, 8 day spread, but I agree those two 2's look "different", and quite crooked. The entire vin derivative looks strange to me. In fact, the assy stamp looks a bit "off-line" too.

I see what appear to be broach marks on the right where the assy stamp is, but not so obvious on the left. The vin derivative usually is closer to the left of the pad. Like on a 64 I knew closely, shown below that had it's original 300hp. Which BTW car built May 12, so engine assy May 5 is 7 days.

The Trim tag has a "?"08 for a build. I wonder what the "?" is. Was it hammered out or ??? The 8th was 4 days before final, so that may be typical. Oddity of some type going on there with the missing/illegible build month though. The TT rivets look odd to me too, but an expert..... I am not.

I'd be curious what the block cast date is.

My gut feel is NOM. The ad "commonly" says "matching numbers", which it is, and doesn't state "original engine".

Rich
Attached Images  

Last edited by rich5962; 01-30-2014 at 10:46 AM.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:09 AM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,923 Likes on 1,336 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich Yanulis
What do you Guys think about the stamp pad on the subject car?
The last two digits (22) seem to be on an angle with the rest of the sequence.
Does this look correct?
No C2 expert here, like many/most on this forum, but I have been looking at lots of C2s lately trying to find a numbers matching one, and that stamping seems questionable to me.

Not saying that it's wrong, but that I would look harder to see if it's legit.

For the experts, is there a broaching mark component here?

Other than that, take a free bump.

Edit: On VIN tags, I'm seeing lots of variations of welded-on legit tags, and what you posted seems to match many that I've seen. You can see where at the factory they ground off a clear spot of the z-bar where the VIN tag would get welded, which by itself has quite a bit of variation due to hand grinding, but shows bare metal, surrounded by a thin ring of zinc chromate (yellow-green) primer, surrounded by the black paint. This would match how these were actually done during building.

On the block, I don't think it is a resurface (decking) and here is why: Look at the block number on the left - the "22" on the right of the block number code show the raised metal where the 22 was stamped, which pushes up the metal around those numbers when it displaces the metal in the stamping - this is clear because where it is cleaned off, the metal 'ridge' immediately surrounding the 22 if bright, yet a 'valley' exists between the 22. If this had been decked, this would be gone.

However, this would not apply if the entire block was decked and restamped.

I think I had better wait for the experts, though. LOL

Last edited by Easy Rhino; 01-30-2014 at 11:17 AM.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:38 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,861 Likes on 1,104 Posts

That trim tag is bogus - it's for a car built about 7-8 months later; whoever made it obviously doesn't understand the relationships between body numbers and VIN numbers. I don't like the pad either, for several reasons.

Last edited by JohnZ; 01-30-2014 at 03:41 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Double Spot Weld on Vin Plate

Quick Reply: Double Spot Weld on Vin Plate