C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

What's the REAL story on ifs for the C-1?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 08:52 PM
MrPbody
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default What's the REAL story on ifs for the C-1?

Just back from a nice 120 mile cruise round trip for a car show by Lost Creek Lake. it's a great little 250 car show, and having the lake there is a real plus on a hot summer day like today (yes we jumped in). Our 62 is really nice to drive just about any distances, with it's TPI 350 and 6 speed trans, but I keep wondering if installing an aftermarket IFS setup would be worthwhile also. it handles pretty nice now, and it seems like I've heard that some aren't thrilled with the conversion they have. so what's the real scoop? should I or shouldn't I?
My ideal would be a manual rack and pinion and an oem disk brake package. nothing real fancy, just a little more modern than what I have now ,which is all stock, perhaps…..

Thanks,
Russ

Last edited by MrPbody; 08-17-2014 at 11:18 PM. Reason: cus
Old 08-17-2014, 09:56 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 528 Likes on 378 Posts

Russ,

Sure you will receive answers all over the map on that question....

A good front disc brake conversion, and a good condition front steering system is all I need. I am very pleased with it's ride, handling, & braking. Note that I have stock type (grooved leaves) 5 leaf spring rear suspension with Traction Masters (no rear anti-sway bar or Radius Rods).

Oh, and my front has been lowered 3/4" using the 53/54 Chevy passenger car spindle supports.

The IFS R&P "should" be more precise, but most PS versions have too fast a ratio, and you may need to fine tune the PS pump (dumb it down). In other words, I agree that a manual rack would be a better way to go.

Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 08-17-2014 at 10:23 PM.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:04 AM
Roger Walling
Melting Slicks

Received 1,691 Likes on 678 Posts

I just installed a Kugal IFE in my 57. I haven't driven it in LeMans yet but it goes nice and straight and the rack feels nice. I haven’t played with the adj. shocks yet
One important feature that I like is that big spear that starts at the steering box and is aimed at your heart in an accident was replaced with a collapsible steering column. The column only increased the total cost by about $30 over using a straight shaft. Well worth it even if it only makes it easier to fit and install.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:43 AM
C-1 Generation 2
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts

I did the JMR change eight years ago and have never regretted it. I have had to replace one QA1 adjustable shock due to leaking. It was very easy to change. I do have a manual rack with 70-81 Camaro spindles and disc, manual ms with apportion valve open all the way with no lockup and dead straight on panic stop. Flaming River replacement column with built in flasher.
Proper alignment is time consuming and pricy.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:48 AM
MrPbody
Drifting

Originally Posted by Plasticman
Russ,

Sure you will receive answers all over the map on that question....

A good front disc brake conversion, and a good condition front steering system is all I need. I am very pleased with it's ride, handling, & braking. Note that I have stock type (grooved leaves) 5 leaf spring rear suspension with Traction Masters (no rear anti-sway bar or Radius Rods).

Oh, and my front has been lowered 3/4" using the 53/54 Chevy passenger car spindle supports.

The IFS R&P "should" be more precise, but most PS versions have too fast a ratio, and you may need to fine tune the PS pump (dumb it down). In other words, I agree that a manual rack would be a better way to go.

Plasticman
I recently spot-read the 26 or so pages of the install you and Bill did on his car. then I did a brief Google search on what kits are available out there since you guys did Bills. I'm not seeing much to rave about at this point however. I'm too old and feeble, and working in too small of a shop, to even conceder a total frame swap, as nice as that would be, so that leaves me with either the stock system that I have or rebuild someones existing system to meet my own needs/desires.
What I think I want would include manual R&P and some type of oem disk brake package that would fit under my 15" original style American mags. what disk package did you use on your own car? and what are the disks from?

Russ
Old 08-18-2014, 11:37 AM
Plasticman
Race Director

Originally Posted by MrPbody
I recently spot-read the 26 or so pages of the install you and Bill did on his car. then I did a brief Google search on what kits are available out there since you guys did Bills. I'm not seeing much to rave about at this point however. I'm too old and feeble, and working in too small of a shop, to even conceder a total frame swap, as nice as that would be, so that leaves me with either the stock system that I have or rebuild someones existing system to meet my own needs/desires.
What I think I want would include manual R&P and some type of oem disk brake package that would fit under my 15" original style American mags. what disk package did you use on your own car? and what are the disks from?

Russ
Russ,

A lot to sift through (26 pages)!

My 2000 AR TTD 15" wheels fit nicely with the discs. Disc brake kit was from JMT Engineering (supposedly they supplied Ecklers at the time -2005). Last time I looked, I did not find them listed in the Yellow pages, but they operated out of a Auto shop under the same name (JMT) in New Port Richey Florida;

6732 Us Highway 19
New Port Richey
(727) 849-7458

The disc brake kit was the typical type of the time, using 73 Monte Carlo rotors & calipers (single piston) with Ford bearings (Set 12 & 13). Kit included the mounting brackets, bearing spacers, nut/bolts, bearings, rotors & calipers, hoses, etc. Similar kits are available from ECI, as well as the Corvette suppliers (at a markup). Think ECI is probably the best route, if JMT can't help you. You can purchase the special items (brackets, spacers, etc. through them), then purchase the common items locally (rotors & calipers, hoses, bearings, etc.).

Here is the ECI link (for the Chevy / Corvette page):

http://www.ecihotrodbrakes.com/early...nversions.html

Since that time, Bill (having the TCI supplied front disc brakes, with the later metric GM single piston calipers) has "upgraded" to a set with a larger bore. He was not "pleased" with the smaller bore calipers braking capability, and tried different pad materials, but to no avail. He has since reported the larger bore calipers "work". Note also that he has the mid 80 Caddy rear disc brakes. IMHO, I like my brakes "better"......including the stock 62 rear drums.

Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 08-18-2014 at 11:45 AM.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:47 AM
narlee
Melting Slicks

Received 149 Likes on 70 Posts

Look who I saw at the car show.

I put a Chassis Engineering front end under my '51 Chevy. It is a manual rack. If you want to try one of your wheels to see if it fits with the disc brakes let me know. It doesn't list for Corvette but it should fit.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:04 PM
MrPbody
Drifting

Originally Posted by Plasticman
Since that time, Bill (having the TCI supplied front disc brakes, with the later metric GM single piston calipers) has "upgraded" to a set with a larger bore. He was not "pleased" with the smaller bore calipers braking capability, and tried different pad materials, but to no avail. He has since reported the larger bore calipers "work". Note also that he has the mid 80 Caddy rear disc brakes. IMHO, I like my brakes "better"......including the stock 62 rear drums.

Plasticman
Excellent info, thanks. I assume you're both using non power assist?

Russ
Old 08-18-2014, 12:28 PM
MrPbody
Drifting

Originally Posted by narlee
Look who I saw at the car show.

I put a Chassis Engineering front end under my '51 Chevy. It is a manual rack. If you want to try one of your wheels to see if it fits with the disc brakes let me know. It doesn't list for Corvette but it should fit.
Gary,

Thanks for the new desktop photo I guess we wouldn't have been parked in the last row if we had left town at 6:30 like you guys, instead of dragging in at 10:00 eh? but we needed our beauty rest after our previous night of frivolity.
Isn't it great to have a show that 99% of the (250+) cars drive to. and what a nice drive at that. congrats on the trophyS also (you old trophy ***** )

Have you moved your 51 down here yet? I may need to take a look at the brake setup. thanks.

Russ

Last edited by MrPbody; 08-18-2014 at 12:35 PM. Reason: remove dup pic
Old 08-18-2014, 12:36 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Originally Posted by MrPbody
Excellent info, thanks. I assume you're both using non power assist?

Russ
Russ,

Correct. Neither Bill, nor I have power assisted brakes. And I see no need (and I weigh 130...).

His TCI Steering is power assisted.

Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 08-18-2014 at 12:42 PM.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:58 PM
narlee
Melting Slicks

Received 149 Likes on 70 Posts

That is a really nice show and we couldn't believe they don't charge for it. It is great that so many drive in but it is understandable seeing as how it is such a nice drive. On the way back Dan and I went through Rogue River instead of the hitting the freeway.

The '51 is here but the shop is a total mess. You're welcome to check it out.

Get notified of new replies

To What's the REAL story on ifs for the C-1?

Quick Reply: What's the REAL story on ifs for the C-1?