C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

65 tranny question

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2002, 09:42 PM
jpvette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 65 tranny question

It looks like I need to replace the seals on my 4 speed. What should I have the shop do to the tranny while they are working? Everything seems OK, but want to be sure.
Old 09-03-2002, 12:58 AM
Cmacsvette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: 65 tranny question (jpvette)

jpvette,
It looks like I need to replace the seals on my 4 speed. What should I have the shop do to the tranny while they are working? Everything seems OK, but want to be sure.
When you say seems O.K. Do you mean it sounds good, shifts smooth, stays in gear good and nothing out of the norm is apparent to you? If the answer is yes, MAYBE nothing. You say replace seals, I'm assuming maybe front gasket and rear seal, no case, etc. gaskets? I'm assuming this is a shop and not a Tranny shop? I'am not trying to be a smart butt here, I want to make sure I understand. :) Here is where I'm going with this. They can do the tail seal in the car. If they are going further towards the front, it is probably coming out. Here is my rule of thumb to finding a Tranny man. #1. If he brings the word, ROCK CRUSHER up before I do. #2.If he expands a bit on that term. #3. He now has my attention. Now you may already have a Tranny man like that, this is a good thing. If that Tranny is coming out of your car, I, as you have asked, would be asking a man like that.
jpvette, If you don't have a guy like that in your area, I would be glad to refer A guy. 66427-450 has some of the same issues you do, so I'm going to see if my Muncie Man has a 1800 #, get his email, etc. Most of you guys are so far away from me. Now some of the other guys may have someone closer to you. If you want the same info. that I'm getting for 66427-450, let me know. :yesnod: :)
Take care, Craig :cheers:
Old 09-03-2002, 02:13 AM
Ih2lose
Melting Slicks

Received 332 Likes on 198 Posts

Where are you having a leak? if its the rear as stated you can do it your self in the car.there is not many seals on this type of tranney
Old 09-03-2002, 01:09 PM
jpvette
Racer

Default Re: 65 tranny question (Cmacsvette)

Craig, thanks for the reply. Let me start with info that I'm sure you hate to hear. That is, I know very very little about trannys. (But I do know the term Rock Crusher.) When I say the trans seems OK, I mean nothing out of the ordinary. I see transmission oil leaking from what I think would be a rear seal, and more from a more anterior area. Not a dripping leak, just enough to keep the metal frame there moist with maybe a couple of new spots on the garage floor every few days. I would have to research the transmission guys here through the vette club to know their reputations. Any help would be welcomed. Thanks again.
Old 09-03-2002, 01:32 PM
Kid_Again
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

..."anterior"?....shows a bit about your training...may not be able to help you based on geography but if you feel you have to resort to shipping the trans out to have it done correctly, i strongly recommend ed harnette (sp?) outside of philadelphia, pa....an honest guy, excellent work and a bloomington gold instructor, i'm told.....for a reputable rebuilder, you should expect to pay about $500 for a complete rebuild, complete with all "soft parts" (i.e., bearings, synchros) but not including any additional problems that arise....

.....if you have the money, and since you will have the tranny out anyway AND if you are uncertain about the status of the transmission, now's the time to bite the bullet....before your anterior problem becomes a real pain in the posterior

[Modified by Kid_Again, 12:33 PM 9/3/2002]
Old 09-03-2002, 03:24 PM
jpvette
Racer

Default Re: 65 tranny question (Kid_Again)

Boy I wish I had a quick wit! anterior/posterior :crazy:

Too much time being a dentist, not enough time under the hood.

Thanks for the help. I'll contact Harnette if I can find him. Thanks!
Old 09-03-2002, 04:42 PM
Cmacsvette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jpvette,
If you need him, here's my Muncie man. His name is Scott Petersen. His Co. is Garage Motor Sport. His site is (I Hope it's right) http://www.garagemotorsport.com Email garage@qwest.net Phone is 360-735-0753.,sorry no 800# Located in Vancouver,WA. next to Portland Oregon. He was telling me today, that shipping a whole tranny is nothing new. You do what you need to do, he's there if needed. Thanks, Craig :cheers:

[Modified by Cmacsvette, 10:30 PM 9/3/2002]
Old 09-03-2002, 04:42 PM
Ih2lose
Melting Slicks

Received 332 Likes on 198 Posts

QUOTE I'll contact Harnette if I can find him. [/QUOTE]

I am waiting on a rebuilt trans I ordered from him at corvettes of carlilse. His name is
ED HARNETT 4 speeds
242 Pembroke ave
Lansdowne P.A.
EMAIL: EH4SPEEDS@AOL.COM
I am exstreemely happy with my dealing's with him so far a true gentelman and also a proffetional.
Sorry about the spelling I am getting worse and worse

[Modified by Ih2lose, 5:23 PM 9/3/2002]
Old 09-03-2002, 08:22 PM
Milehigh66
Pro

jpvette,
If the front of the tranny is the anterior and the back of the tranny is the posterior, which side is buccal and which is lingual? I only laugh because I would have used the same words in decribing the leak. :yesnod:

Kurt :cheers:
Old 09-03-2002, 09:26 PM
jpvette
Racer

Default Re: 65 tranny question (Milehigh66)

Kurt,
Life might be easier with "our" directions. I ordered the wrong shift boot because I told the dealer I wanted the red in the front, black on the back. I meant as I was looking at it from the drivers seat. When it came in I found that it is ordered with front and rear not as you look at it, but whether it's closer to the front or rear of the car. :crazy:

Get notified of new replies

To 65 tranny question

Quick Reply: 65 tranny question