C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] Best ifs system

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 09:18 PM
tonymcilroy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Best ifs system

I am about to purchase an ifs system, but i see several on the market. I need one that will fit with shorty headers. I have been looking at Corvette centrals and Jim Meier in particular. Can't see much difference in them. Are these the best and any issues with them. Are there others that are better?
Old 01-02-2017, 07:55 AM
63split63
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Default I'll Bite

Ifs ?
Old 01-02-2017, 08:16 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 730 Likes on 624 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by 63split63
Ifs ?
Independent Front Suspension
The following users liked this post:
63split63 (01-02-2017)
Old 01-02-2017, 08:35 AM
62-C1
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by tonymcilroy
I am about to purchase an ifs system, but i see several on the market. I need one that will fit with shorty headers. I have been looking at Corvette centrals and Jim Meier in particular. Can't see much difference in them. Are these the best and any issues with them. Are there others that are better?
You didn't say what year C1 you have. I have a 62 and I also have been looking for a new IFS (Independent Front Suspension). The Jim Meyer system uses Mustang parts, there is a company Martz Chassis located in Bedford PA that makes a Bolt on system for C1s they use Camero parts.

There was a company in Canada called MacGyver, but they seem to be out of business.

Last week I visited a company called Coffman Corvettes, located in Mansfield Ohio. The owner has agreed to build a custom IFS for me using C6 Corvette parts with coil over shocks. It should be complete by sometime in March. I'll let you know how it turns out. You can PM me for more info.

Marty
tonymcilroy (01-02-2017)
Old 01-02-2017, 09:15 AM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by 62 corvette nut
You didn't say what year C1 you have. I have a 62 and I also have been looking for a new IFS (Independent Front Suspension). The Jim Meyer system uses Mustang parts, there is a company Martz Chassis located in Bedford PA that makes a Bolt on system for C1s they use Camero parts.

There was a company in Canada called MacGyver, but they seem to be out of business.

Last week I visited a company called Coffman Corvettes, located in Mansfield Ohio. The owner has agreed to build a custom IFS for me using C6 Corvette parts with coil over shocks. It should be complete by sometime in March. I'll let you know how it turns out. You can PM me for more info.

Marty
back when I was looking, I kinda sorta liked the MacGyver; but, as you have apparently learned, they seem to be out of business.

from a pure bolt-on standpoint, the Meyer is probably the easiest (and probably the most expensive)

I ended up going with the TCI 'kit'..

the TCI is very OLD SCHOOL, but once installed, it works. the clunkiest part is the way camber/caster is set; but once set it is as good as any...

a thought about using C6 parts... I wouldn't go that route without doing something to the rear brakes; you will have too much brake on the front. although not needed with the typical C1 IFS conversion, I installed rear disc on my 62. if nothing else.. it's 'cool'...

Bill
tonymcilroy (01-02-2017)
Old 01-02-2017, 06:29 PM
62-C1
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by wmf62
back when I was looking, I kinda sorta liked the MacGyver; but, as you have apparently learned, they seem to be out of business.

from a pure bolt-on standpoint, the Meyer is probably the easiest (and probably the most expensive)

I ended up going with the TCI 'kit'..

the TCI is very OLD SCHOOL, but once installed, it works. the clunkiest part is the way camber/caster is set; but once set it is as good as any...

a thought about using C6 parts... I wouldn't go that route without doing something to the rear brakes; you will have too much brake on the front. although not needed with the typical C1 IFS conversion, I installed rear disc on my 62. if nothing else.. it's 'cool'...

Bill
Bill, I installed disc brakes Front and rear about 10 years ago, then I added Jim Meyer Power brake unit. This unit made the car much easier to stop.

I didn't like either of the bolt on options because they both contain custom made spindles and other parts, where the C6 parts are readily available, if the need should arise.
Marty
Old 01-02-2017, 06:47 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by 62 corvette nut
Bill, I installed disc brakes Front and rear about 10 years ago, then I added Jim Meyer Power brake unit. This unit made the car much easier to stop.

I didn't like either of the bolt on options because they both contain custom made spindles and other parts, where the C6 parts are readily available, if the need should arise.
Marty
the only TCI 'custom' items, as I remember, were the upper and lower a-frames, and possibly the spindle supports; the rest is standard parts (I think..., it's been a while... )

Bill
Attached Images      

Last edited by wmf62; 01-02-2017 at 06:58 PM.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:54 PM
tonymcilroy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks all I'm leaning more to the Jim Meyer system. My vertt is a 61.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:39 PM
jackal396
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Really like my jim meyer setup and great customer service.

jp
Old 01-04-2017, 07:39 AM
C-1 Generation 2
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts

The only problem I had with JMR unit was a broken weld on the cross member. They did supply me with four gussets to weld in place after contacting them. Since you'll be buying a new unit they should be already welded in place.
I did have to replace one adjustable QA1 shock. Unless your racing save a little and buy the non adjustable ones. I might also suggest putting in side motor mounts while your at it. You will have to paint the unit parts. I used Rustoleum silver hammered and have been pleased with how it has held up over the years.

If you click on the picture it will take to other pictures.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:48 AM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,995 Likes on 903 Posts

This looks good Richard! Very nice!

Pat

Originally Posted by C-1 Generation 2
The only problem I had with JMR unit was a broken weld on the cross member. They did supply me with four gussets to weld in place after contacting them. Since you'll be buying a new unit they should be already welded in place.
I did have to replace one adjustable QA1 shock. Unless your racing save a little and buy the non adjustable ones. I might also suggest putting in side motor mounts while your at it. You will have to paint the unit parts. I used Rustoleum silver hammered and have been pleased with how it has held up over the years.

If you click on the picture it will take to other pictures.
C-1 Generation 2 (01-04-2017)
Old 01-04-2017, 12:43 PM
C-1 Generation 2
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by ptjsk
This looks good Richard! Very nice!

Pat
Thanks! Likewise the underside of your 62, Pat. So far the factory third member is holding up good so for now I'll put off JMR 4-link.

Get notified of new replies

To Best ifs system

Quick Reply: [C1] Best ifs system