C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Chevy Orange Engine Painting

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 08:32 PM
DAN70
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 178 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

DupliColor but I prime it first. Used the same method on my Z28 in 1998 and it still is holding up very good....

Old 06-27-2017, 08:56 AM
W Guy
Drifting

Received 178 Likes on 133 Posts

I talked with the guy at Bill Hirsch and he recommended a hi-heat primer for the steel parts, like timing cover, oil pan and valve covers, but it wasn't necessary for the cast iron.

My plan is to make it look like Chevy did it, only better coverage. That means painting the water pump and balancer separately. Then paint the block with the pan and the timing cover installed on the engine stand. Then install the balancer and pump, along with the bellhousing and exhaust manifolds and paint again to cover the bolts and have the orange on the manifolds. I made an engine cradle that supports it at the motor mounts and the back of the bell. I'll make a plastic mask to put on top of the aluminum intake.

Verne
Old 06-27-2017, 10:30 AM
Critter1
Melting Slicks

Received 621 Likes on 441 Posts

Of interest, the orange color of 65-67 big blocks was not the same as that of Flint built small blocks. Different color from a different supplier.

Big blocks for 65-67 appeared to be closer to a carrot color instead of the more orange of Flint built engines.

I painted the latest and current engine that was installed in the famous 12 mile 67 L88 and I used an orange that was closer to carrot color. (by the quart using a pressure feed system and 90 PSI at the gun, and no primer, just like Tonawanda did)
Oh, and I covered the ends and outer surfaces of the exhaust manifolds too, the way it should be.

By the way, the name of the color that GM used is "Moly Orange". Unfortunately, there are a lot of different shades of moly orange on the market.

Last edited by Critter1; 06-27-2017 at 10:52 AM.

Quick Reply: Chevy Orange Engine Painting