C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

57 hubcap installation problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 12:07 PM
Moleyman
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 57 hubcap installation problem

I am still having a problem putting on my hubcaps on my 57. I have reproduction 15" wheels and reproduction hubcaps. The hubcaps line up look right but would need a lot of energy to push them on. I have tried lining them up and hitting the outer edge with a rubber mallet, but they will not snap into place. I am concerned about damaging the hubcaps. Is there any trick to the install, should I cut a few slots in the back ring of the cap to allow more flexibility????? I have attached a few pictures of my wheel and caps. All help appreciated, this is driving me crazy.
Attached Images    
Old 02-07-2018, 12:18 PM
61 Roadster
Pro

Received 175 Likes on 88 Posts
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Corvette of the Year Finalist 2018
2017 C1 of Year Finalist
2015 C1 of Year Finalist

I suspect you are fighting the fresh (thick) paint on the nubs. Like I indicated in my early post, be sure to seat the lower half of the hubcap over the lower wheel nubs and secure them with your feet. Then pound the outer rim of the cap over the upper two nubs. I use a rubber dead blow hammer to hit precisely the same positions over the nub.

Quit a bit of force is needed and the paint is well worn off the nubs of my painted wheels. I would NOT cut anything.

Last edited by 61 Roadster; 02-07-2018 at 12:52 PM.
Old 02-07-2018, 01:00 PM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Received 639 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by Moleyman
I am still having a problem putting on my hubcaps on my 57. I have reproduction 15" wheels and reproduction hubcaps. The hubcaps line up look right but would need a lot of energy to push them on. I have tried lining them up and hitting the outer edge with a rubber mallet, but they will not snap into place. I am concerned about damaging the hubcaps. Is there any trick to the install, should I cut a few slots in the back ring of the cap to allow more flexibility????? I have attached a few pictures of my wheel and caps. All help appreciated, this is driving me crazy.
The 4 ''nubs'' are not original, and are keeping the cap from attaching as originally designed.
Old 02-07-2018, 01:04 PM
Moleyman
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 61 Roadster
I suspect you are fighting the fresh (thick) paint on the nubs. Like I indicated in my early post, be sure to seat the lower half of the hubcap over the lower wheel nubs and secure them with your feet. Then pound the outer rim of the cap over the upper two nubs. I use a rubber dead blow hammer to hit precisely the same positions over the nub.

Quit a bit of force is needed and the paint is well worn off the nubs of my painted wheels. I would NOT cut anything.
Thanks I will try that.
Old 02-07-2018, 02:52 PM
Panama 58
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 339 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

The nubs look too large compared to originals. You might have to take the paint off of the nubs to make it work. You can't see them with the cap on anyway and it just might buy you enough to make it work. A dab of white grease on each nub once you get the paint off would probably help as well. Good luck.
Old 02-07-2018, 05:03 PM
pop23235
Le Mans Master

Received 1,049 Likes on 699 Posts

I'd be equally concerned about the lack of engagement of the lug nuts!
Old 02-07-2018, 05:25 PM
jrm5657
Melting Slicks

Received 688 Likes on 385 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

You would be far better off buying original wheels and hubcaps, then you wouldn't be fighting this problem.
Old 02-07-2018, 05:26 PM
PattiR
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

By the way I just want to chime in before you do get them on... The word Corvette on your spinner is out of place. It should line up with the hole for the air fill directly under the word Corvette. You need to rotate the spinner 90* right to get in correct position.
Not an expert but others can confirm this for you.

Dennis
Old 02-07-2018, 05:40 PM
61 Roadster
Pro

Received 175 Likes on 88 Posts
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Corvette of the Year Finalist 2018
2017 C1 of Year Finalist
2015 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by PattiR
By the way I just want to chime in before you do get them on... The word Corvette on your spinner is out of place. It should line up with the hole for the air fill directly under the word Corvette. You need to rotate the spinner 90* right to get in correct position.
Not an expert but others can confirm this for you.

Dennis
Good catch; that is correct.

For what it is worth, I have had repro wheels since 2012 and have had both original and repro hubcaps mounted to them. My installation method has always worked on any combination of wheels and hubcaps. Hubcap removal without scratching the wheel is the harder task in my book.

Get notified of new replies

To 57 hubcap installation problem

Quick Reply: 57 hubcap installation problem