C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

My new $26 sound system

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2019, 07:20 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,139 Likes on 1,276 Posts

Default My new $26 sound system

Years ago I had my stock 67 radio gone through and put back to OEM specs, but that’s not saying much these days. For the past few years I considered getting the radio’s guts ripped out and replaced with chips, but the cost was always an issue since I’m not an audiophile, I just want to be diverted on my way to the autocross or driving along the coast. I’ve now found a cheap solution to the issue, a portable bluetooth speaker.

I bought an OontZ Angle 3 speaker because it’s triangular in shape and sits right on my 67’s radio speaker and so probably won’t roll off going down the road. I feared that it would not be loud enough to overcome normal engine and road noise, but the volume is great --- this is one mighty speaker! I can play tunes as loud as I want using my iPhone’s normal volume adjustment. to the point that they’re too loud for me. It would probably work fine, come to think of it, sitting behind the seats on the jack compartment cover.

Once you charge up the speaker it’s said to be good for 12 hours of playing. The bluetooth connection from phone to speaker is very simple, even for me who has zero patience with tech crap; press one button on the speaker and voila it’s hooked up. I played tunes with my iphone on the passenger seat and speaker on the radio grill; on the road I would power the phone from the cigar lighter like normal.

My $26 purchase solved a real problem for me. Or I could have paid $40 for the same thing, less the case, on Amazon!

photo upload sites

The following 3 users liked this post by LouieM:
Augie66 (12-01-2019), JF in MI (11-29-2019), tuxnharley (11-28-2019)
Old 11-28-2019, 09:38 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 165 Likes on 110 Posts

Yeah that would never stay put on my dash..... LOL.. Hoever that's a great idea as I have a JBL bluetooth speaker that I use around the yard that would work great...

HITCH
Old 11-28-2019, 09:44 PM
Bobby6T5
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts

I do the same thing only with a Bose mini soundlink. The cost was more than $26 but it does sound good.
The following users liked this post:
Brian VH McHale (11-29-2019)
Old 11-28-2019, 11:52 PM
Dennisscars
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Ryobi bluetooth dual speaker boom box. Plus I can transfer from car to car. It's enough to bump.

'65 I put behind the seats, other cars either on the floorboard or in back seat. Beats only two AM channels and commercials.
Different cars get different genre music.
Old 11-29-2019, 06:49 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,603 Likes on 828 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Hitch
Yeah that would never stay put on my dash..... LOL.. Hoever that's a great idea as I have a JBL bluetooth speaker that I use around the yard that would work great...

HITCH
Hitch - put a couple of these disk magnets on the bottom of your unit and it won’t go anywhere.

http://Neodymium Magnets N52 Super S..._Aeq4DbRGQ8JQY

If the bottom of your unit isn’t metal, attach them with double-sided tape. Put blue painters tape or similar to the sides of the magnets that touch your speaker grill to keep the grill from getting scratched.

These magnets are incredibly powerful. If you put two of them together without a spacer between them, you will have a very tough time getting them apart. Individually, they will attract metal through my 2-1/2” thick maple workbench.

Steve
The following 2 users liked this post by RatDog:
Lotsacubes (11-29-2019), Olustee bus (11-29-2019)
Old 11-29-2019, 08:01 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,690 Likes on 2,009 Posts

I think I have that same speaker in my house I used to supplement sound from an old Alexa. If so the case is kind of rubberized and stays put pretty good. But yeah, a hard push on the throttle might might put it on the console. Some of the new mini- speakers sound pretty amazing any more. Good idea.
Old 11-29-2019, 08:14 AM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,428 Likes on 941 Posts

Originally Posted by RatDog
Hitch - put a couple of these disk magnets on the bottom of your unit and it won’t go anywhere.

http://Neodymium Magnets N52 Super S..._Aeq4DbRGQ8JQY

If the bottom of your unit isn’t metal, attach them with double-sided tape. Put blue painters tape or similar to the sides of the magnets that touch your speaker grill to keep the grill from getting scratched.

These magnets are incredibly powerful. If you put two of them together without a spacer between them, you will have a very tough time getting them apart. Individually, they will attract metal through my 2-1/2” thick maple workbench.

Steve
That'd probably do a great job of keeping the thing on the dashboard, but if the magnetic field is strong enough to penetrate 2+ inches of maple butcher block, it'd probably play havoc with the voice coils of the speakers.

Live well,

SJW
Old 11-29-2019, 08:33 AM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 538 Likes on 350 Posts

I am surprised that someone hasn't made a speaker like this that would fit under the grate where the original speaker is located.
The following users liked this post:
solidaxel (11-29-2019)
Old 11-29-2019, 09:28 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,603 Likes on 828 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by SJW
That'd probably do a great job of keeping the thing on the dashboard, but if the magnetic field is strong enough to penetrate 2+ inches of maple butcher block, it'd probably play havoc with the voice coils of the speakers.

Live well,

SJW
Good point!

I got the edge of my index finger trapped between two of those magnets and they clamped down so fast and with such force, they drew blood. Definitely powerful.

Steve
Old 11-29-2019, 09:38 AM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,922 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by RatDog
Good point!

I got the edge of my index finger trapped between two of those magnets and they clamped down so fast and with such force, they drew blood. Definitely powerful.

Steve
Killer devil magnets from hell.

Old 11-29-2019, 10:10 AM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,977 Likes on 1,203 Posts

Try putting the hook half of Velcro on the bottom of the blue tooth speaker. When you set it on the cars speaker grill rub it gently in a small circular or back and forth motion. The Velcro will catch in the speaker grill holes and keep it from sliding off in all but the most severe movements. No need to gum up the grill with the other half of the Velcro, and just gently lift the blue tooth off when you are done!
Old 11-29-2019, 11:23 AM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,079 Likes on 520 Posts

For you guys using your phone.........I installed one of these a few months ago (after trying several brands). Attaches to your steering wheel, and allows you to control fast forward, reverse, song change, volume, and answer your phone, without taking your hands off the wheel. Nice add for under $30.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JQ8Q6X6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JQ8Q6X6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 11-29-2019, 01:59 PM
LouieM
Race Director

That's a clever widget Mike, thanks.
Old 12-01-2019, 03:27 PM
Augie66
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Louie,

Thank you very much for the portable Bluetooth speaker idea. I have a '65 with a sometimes working stock radio, which I didn't want to modify, but did want to find a way of playing all the stored music on my iPhone while driving.

My Black Friday Amazon order with a similar portable Bluetooth speaker (less than $20) just arrived and was tried in my garaged winter stored car. The sound from just a small speaker is amazing and plenty loud enough for me. I'll probably just leave the speaker behind the seats

Thanks again for the great idea and now even more looking forward to Spring and top down Corvette driving weather..

Augie

Old 12-01-2019, 03:56 PM
Augie66
Instructor

The 6 3/4" long portable Bluetooth speaker just purchased from your idea fits perfect between the seats of my '65.
Old 12-01-2019, 05:07 PM
Dennisscars
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Augie66
The 6 3/4" long portable Bluetooth speaker just purchased from your idea fits perfect between the seats of my '65.
Now I'm liking that, then can throw in glove box when you stop.
Old 12-02-2019, 12:21 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Louie,

Thank you very much for the portable Bluetooth speaker idea. I have a '65 with a sometimes working stock radio, which I didn't want to modify, but did want to find a way of playing all the stored music on my iPhone while driving.

My Black Friday Amazon order with a similar portable Bluetooth speaker (less than $20) just arrived and was tried in my garaged winter stored car. The sound from just a small speaker is amazing and plenty loud enough for me. I'll probably just leave the speaker behind the seats

Thanks again for the great idea and now even more looking forward to Spring and top down Corvette driving weather..

Augie

Augie,
You're welcome. Looks like these little speakers solve the audio problem for both of us. Like you, I'm amazed at how these speakers produce such decent sound at such high volume.

Lou

Get notified of new replies

To My new $26 sound system

Old 12-02-2019, 12:22 PM
LouieM
Race Director

These speakers are now so small you could put velcro on the back and stick them on the the kick panels of you wanted!

Lou
Old 12-02-2019, 01:58 PM
Augie66
Instructor

Lou,

Until reading your post, I was not aware there was even such a thing as a portable Bluetooth speaker. This past summer, I tried playing my stored songs from just the iPhone speaker, but it could barely be heard over the convertible driving and engine sound. I'm truly amazed that an inexpensive and small portable Bluetooth speaker solution was available.

Thanks again for sharing this great idea!

Augie
Old 12-02-2019, 02:09 PM
Fatdaddy
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

I tried the Bose sound link but didn’t like it sent it back.

Quick Reply: My new $26 sound system