C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] 1967 big block rear main seal

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2021, 12:10 AM
Leigh Willson
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1967 big block rear main seal

I am sure this thread has been answered before but need to ask the question and appreciate any expert advice in advance.
We own a 1967 BB coupe with the 427 chev. We have a oil leak between the bel housing and gear box. 99% it is the rear main seal. Now this seal from what I understand is a 2 piece seal, can it be accessed by just removing the gearbox and bell housing?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated from Melbourne Australia.
Old 07-26-2021, 12:35 AM
Boyan
Drifting

Received 471 Likes on 298 Posts

Default Seal

Short answer is no. Do not remove the gear box (transmission). You need to remove the oil pan and rear main cap of crankshaft. There are lots of videos on internet how to change this seal.
Old 07-26-2021, 12:39 AM
Boyan
Drifting

Received 471 Likes on 298 Posts

Default Big block

I have not done it on a big block, but on a 327 you need to lower the steering from idler arm to clear and remove oil pan. You may need to loosen other main caps of block to move the crankshaft enough to slide the seal around.
Old 07-26-2021, 06:13 AM
SWC Tim
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Try Blue Devil Rear Main Seal stop leak first, you will be amazed.

SWC Tim
Old 07-26-2021, 07:29 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,691 Likes on 2,009 Posts

Replacement on a BB is same as for a SB in a Corvette. Unbolt the idler arm and toe in the front tires to pull the drag link assembly down to clear the oil pan for removal. If it hangs up on the front crank throw, rotate the engine 180 degrees to get clearance. I didn’t loosen the other main caps when I replaced mine. Might be a good idea. The seal slid in on mine without much problem. Be sure to follow the instructions closely for positioning the seal ends, spot applications of RTV and since the rear bearing is the thrust bearing, pry the crank forward and then back to check clearance as you re-torque the rear main.
Old 07-26-2021, 08:21 AM
ettev
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 444 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by SWC Tim
Try Blue Devil Rear Main Seal stop leak first, you will be amazed.

SWC Tim

Old 07-26-2021, 08:46 AM
R66
Le Mans Master

Received 1,608 Likes on 1,086 Posts

"We have a oil leak between the bel housing and gear box. 99% it is the rear main seal."

Generally a rear main seal will leak at the back of the oil pan / front of the bellhousing down the dust shield, but may be blown to the rear of the car when driving.
Have you checked the oil in the gearbox? The Muncie has a history of countershaft / case leaks that would be at the intersection of the gearbox and bellhousing. If the back of the oil pan / front of the bellhousing (dust shield) is not covered with oil, that may be your problem.
I check the oil in the transmission although a small leak create a big leak. Clean up both areas well, and run the engine to monitor for the leak before ripping it apart.

Get notified of new replies

To 1967 big block rear main seal

Quick Reply: [C2] 1967 big block rear main seal