Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buckskin Vinyl Dye question

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2020, 04:57 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,725 Likes on 2,279 Posts

Get the vinyl dye mixed at a pro auto body paint supply store. They can mix it up to match any part you bring to them. If you buy a quart of SEM vinyl dye (or other quality brand), you can also shoot all of the other interior panels to make it all match. Easy to do and one of the best appearance projects you can tackle. The store can show you how to use a Pre-Val gas/bottle sprayer to shoot it on. They are really inexpensive ($10 for a kit; $3-4 for an extra gas canister) and it will do a SUPER job of spraying vinyl dye.

P.S. If you have seat covers in good condition, use them as a match for mixing the dye. Then you only have to shoot the other parts. If you are replacing the seat covers, take one to the paint store for making the match.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 07-17-2020 at 04:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
C3PO.G. (07-27-2020)
Old 07-27-2020, 11:47 AM
C3PO.G.
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ha! Thanks!

Originally Posted by Buccaneer
WOW! This thread is 14 years old, but the interest seems to still be there on the subject. You have a lot of different colors going on there. On mine, I decided on which color I liked the best and matched the best/closest after I restored my interior and had my SEM paint custom mixed at the auto paint supplier to match and repainted every plastic piece with a spray gun. It came out great and has lasted a very long time. My carpet is a slightly darker shade (purchased from Corvette America) to contrast with the rest of the interior which is tan. Good luck with your project.

Thank you for replying! I really appreciate it.
gonna tackle the project in a few weeks. Just had the master cylinder replaced, doing a couple other things and then going to replace carpet, repair vinyl doors(upholstery guy said he can do it) and then repaint steering column and find matching paint for steering wheel. Steering wheel is same color as dash pad. Thanks again for your reply!
Old 07-27-2020, 11:56 AM
C3PO.G.
Cruising

Default Thanks!

Originally Posted by derekderek
your door panel, which needs work or replaced, is the same color as the column. as is the kick panel. your left dash looks like light or medium saddle. which matches pretty good with the dupli-color desert sand that icanfix mentioned. which is available at every chain parts store. as buc said, this is a very old thread. if you search and find an old thread, click on the user name you wanna ask something to. many will have not been on here for a long time. then send them a private message. they will get an email saying they have a private message, provided they still use the same email address. when you revive an old thread, we find ourselves reading old posts then we see the date.
Thanks for your reply. My father in-law does upholstery and does a great job so I’m taking the car to his shop to do new carpet and he said he could repair the vinyl so I’m going to try that first before buying new door panels. Thanks for the tips on how to connect with ppl from an old thread.
Old 07-27-2020, 12:04 PM
C3PO.G.
Cruising

Default Great Info, Thanks!

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Get the vinyl dye mixed at a pro auto body paint supply store. They can mix it up to match any part you bring to them. If you buy a quart of SEM vinyl dye (or other quality brand), you can also shoot all of the other interior panels to make it all match. Easy to do and one of the best appearance projects you can tackle. The store can show you how to use a Pre-Val gas/bottle sprayer to shoot it on. They are really inexpensive ($10 for a kit; $3-4 for an extra gas canister) and it will do a SUPER job of spraying vinyl dye.

P.S. If you have seat covers in good condition, use them as a match for mixing the dye. Then you only have to shoot the other parts. If you are replacing the seat covers, take one to the paint store for making the match.
Great info, I really appreciate your advice! I think this is exactly what I’m going to do. I’m going to look up a reputable auto paint supply store and do as you’ve suggested. Yes, my seat covers are immaculate as they been covered for the past 28 years. Car hasn’t
been driven(on public roads) since 1998. The guy I bought it from just drove around neighborhood to let it breathe and fluids circulate. I unzipped seat covers thinking they were covering up bad seats and saw how beautiful they still were. I asked the guy about it and I don’t think he realized there were good seats underneath, he never looked. Seriously.

Quick Reply: Buckskin Vinyl Dye question