Sponsored by:

Factory Black 72 Vert

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 09:23 PM
JIMWALLACE
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Factory Black 72 Vert

I Just Acquired A 1972 Corvette That Was Painted Black At Factory In St. Louis, (i Have Lots Of Factory Documentation, And The Facts From The Original Owner On How He Was Able To Get A Black 72 Vette). I Know There Were A Few Primer Cars Built And Then The Dealer Painted Them, My Trim Tag Says "spec" Like A Primer Car, I Would Like To Know If Anybody Else Has Ever Seen Or Owned A Documented "factory Black" Or Any Other Non Standard Color Out Of The St. Louis Plant On 1970 Thru 1972 Corvettes. Thanks, Jim Wallace
Old 12-21-2007, 10:08 PM
CCrane65
Safety Car

Received 50 Likes on 29 Posts

Jim, you might go over to www.ncrs.org and register on their forum and post the question there. It would be interesting to see what kind of responses you get there.

cc
Old 12-21-2007, 10:38 PM
lt1george
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spec paint C3's

Jim, Love to hear the story right here. I'm sure alot of members want to know how a 1972 Corvette got painted Black at St Louis. I have heard of a few 1973's but never a 1972. Save the Wave.>George
Old 12-22-2007, 05:09 AM
jr9170
Race Director

Received 1,071 Likes on 756 Posts

I remember a 71 or 72 coupe on ebay with the spec trim tag that was painted Black.Would love to hear the story on how it got painted at the factory,i am sure it is interesting.Post pics when you get a chance it sounds like a great vette...
Old 12-22-2007, 05:25 AM
Bruthish
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'06-'08-'09

Sounds like a cool story!
Old 12-22-2007, 07:57 AM
Patrick73
Burning Brakes

C3 trim tags for factory primer cars or special paint orders.

Also see the below link for more information on factory primer cars and another trim plate photo.

http://www.bodyinprimecorvettes.com/

Last edited by Patrick73; 12-22-2007 at 08:00 AM.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:44 PM
JIMWALLACE
Pro

Default 72 Black Corvette

Ok, Here Is The Story On How This Car Came To Be Painted Black At The Factory. The Man That Purchased This Car New Was An Executive With Cambell-ewald Ad Agency Who Handled All Of Gm Advertising, He New Pete Estes (g.m. President)personally, And Told Pete That He Would Buy A New Corvette If He Could Get It In Black, Mr. Estes Made It Happen At The Plant,this Car Is Fully Loaded (has Two Sheets Of Options For A Tank Sticker) Painting It Black At St. Louis Is On The Tank Sticker And Other Corvette Copies, Also Has A Charge Of $97 For The Special Paint On The Window Sticker, ( I Wonder If The Primer Cars Were Charged Extra For Shipping In Primer)this Is A Very Interesting Two Owner Car. Jim
Old 12-22-2007, 04:15 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,725 Likes on 2,279 Posts

Interesting. That is about the only way something like that could happen at GM. It's who you know, not "how much have you got?".
Old 12-23-2007, 12:40 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,424 Likes on 2,815 Posts

Originally Posted by JIMWALLACE
Ok, Here Is The Story On How This Car Came To Be Painted Black At The Factory. The Man That Purchased This Car New Was An Executive With Cambell-ewald Ad Agency Who Handled All Of Gm Advertising, He New Pete Estes (g.m. President)personally, And Told Pete That He Would Buy A New Corvette If He Could Get It In Black, Mr. Estes Made It Happen At The Plant,this Car Is Fully Loaded (has Two Sheets Of Options For A Tank Sticker) Painting It Black At St. Louis Is On The Tank Sticker And Other Corvette Copies, Also Has A Charge Of $97 For The Special Paint On The Window Sticker, ( I Wonder If The Primer Cars Were Charged Extra For Shipping In Primer)this Is A Very Interesting Two Owner Car. Jim
Jim, I cant read your post with the first letter of every word capitalized. I think it's even more distracting than when people use all caps. Why do you do this?
Old 12-23-2007, 04:37 AM
jr9170
Race Director

Received 1,071 Likes on 756 Posts

Great Story... Post pics when you get a chance.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:48 AM
James.70
Racer

Location: Show me a cold beer and I will show you a happy man Maryland

I Just Acquired A 1972 Corvette That Was Painted Black At Factory In St. Louis, (i Have Lots Of Factory Documentation, And The Facts From The Original Owner On How He Was Able To Get A Black 72 Vette). I Know There Were A Few Primer Cars Built And Then The Dealer Painted Them, My Trim Tag Says "spec" Like A Primer Car, I Would Like To Know If Anybody Else Has Ever Seen Or Owned A Documented "factory Black" Or Any Other Non Standard Color Out Of The St. Louis Plant On 1970 Thru 1972 Corvettes. Thanks, Jim Wallace
Hey Jim sounds like a cool and rare find, good score! The 72 is a good looking year, cause 70, 71, and 72 I think are the best looking C3's but im biast. One other thing we have in common besides owning similar cars is we have the same name!! Wierd. I usualy dont go by Jim but James most the time. Good to know there are two Jim Wallaces out there in C3's. Is it a coupe? You need to put up pics.

James Wallace
Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5869
Jim, I cant read your post with the first letter of every word capitalized. I think it's even more distracting than when people use all caps. Why do you do this?
Who cares?
Old 12-23-2007, 10:19 AM
lt1george
Melting Slicks

Jim, A Great story that proves, with the right connections, just about anything could happen at (St Louis) GM. There was never a charge on the prime Corvettes that I ordered for Palmyra Motors (dealer code 12-500) back in 73,74,75,76.
You got a real piece of Corvette History. Best of Luck. Like to see some pictures. Happy Holidays. Save the Wave. Thank you.>George
Old 12-23-2007, 10:38 AM
Sully1882
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Very cool

I have seen a few of these 70, 71, and 72 cars with the trim tag showing SPEC and PRIME. But never heard of one being painted a specific or special color at the factory..... no I take that back Corvette Fever had one a few months ago... a 1964 coupe that was a special order for Bunky Knudleson ( spelling ??) that had a bunch of 1965 options like the big block 396 and to top it off it was really for Bunky's wife... so they painted it pink with a special pink interior... just crazy! But this is just as cool... what other options did the car have???? Engine? Where in the production build year was it built? VIN number the usual or is something different with it too? You gotta give us some more info... pics even better...

Merry Christmas,

Sully
Old 12-23-2007, 11:38 AM
sly vette
Safety Car

Great story....Need pics!
Old 12-23-2007, 12:31 PM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

The story I heard as to why they were not available in black was when they painted the earlier cars black a lot were returned under warranty because of the wavyness in the factory body panels. The black made the inperfections jump out. Warranty issues. Same reason the tripower was phased out at the same time. Nice find!!

Last edited by 63mako; 12-23-2007 at 12:34 PM.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:46 PM
Tony24
Instructor

Default Rare Find

Myself attending quite a few auctions. You have something very rare. That word "RARE" drives the price straight threw the roof. Especially when it's something the factory did, not the dealer.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:58 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,471 Likes on 1,250 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by 63mako
...The story I heard as to why they were not available in black was when they painted the earlier cars black a lot were returned under warranty because of the wavyness in the factory body panels. The black made the inperfections jump out. Warranty issues....
Customer demand is probably closer to the truth. Fewer and fewer people were ordering black cars. You can bet that if the bean counters at GM thought black cars would pay for themselves, they wouldn't have discontinued the color.

The demise of tri-power was more likely the victim of the noise laws. No open element air cleaners after the 1970 models.

Get notified of new replies

To Factory Black 72 Vert

Old 12-23-2007, 05:19 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,725 Likes on 2,279 Posts

Actually, the tri-powers were eliminated because of manufacturing costs. Factories couldn't charge what it cost to provide them and the same power could be achieved with one 4-barrel carb. In my opinion, the tri-power was a 'better' system because you could get reasonable economy if you kept your foot out of it and just ran on the center 2-barrel. I had a '65 Pontiac Catalina/Ventura with a 421 H/O and tri-power that could get 17-19 mpg at 70mph all day long. No one with a big block and a 4-barrel could do that well.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:15 PM
Bruthish
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'06-'08-'09

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5869

VeTteBuYer, ThAt Is NoT VeRy NiCe of YoU MiStEr.

Last edited by Bruthish; 12-23-2007 at 10:16 PM.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:26 PM
JIMWALLACE
Pro

Default 72 Black Vette

Originally Posted by Bruthish
ThAt Is NoT VeRy NiCe of YoU MiStEr.

Sorry about the caps for the text, I will correct on next items. The Vin is 1z67k2s517488, built on March 29, 1972. The options listed on the window sticker are; special paint, power windows, custom deluxe front shoulder belts, convertible top black, auxilary hardtop, 4-season air conditioning, power brakes, turbo hydro-matic, tilt-telescopic steering wheel, power steering, F 70 X 15 white stripe tires, custom wheel covers, am/fm pushbutton radio, am/fm stereo radio, black vinyl interior. I have not taken any photo's yet, but I can over the holidays, I may need some help in posting them. The paperwork that came with this car is some of the best I have ever seen. Jim Wallace

Quick Reply: Factory Black 72 Vert