Sponsored by:

LED Taillight install

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 03:26 PM
fauxrs2
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve.in.Roanoke
10 LEDS in each light?! Is this "Bright"? Are some specific individual LED's brighter than others? Or is it strictly a numbers game?

Since I can't get much comment on my '74 specific request, this may be the best consideration. Was just hoping for feedback specific, so I'd know what to anticipate.

Thanks, Steve

p.s. & thanks to the one response regarding rear access and mounting configuration.

these are crazy bright - on the order of 10 times at least compared to what i had...

I have no backup lights at this time, I never got around to hooking up the backup switch on the tremec so i havent had any for the better part of 5 years...in any case these lights are bright enough to light behind me....

I plan a single white LED below the License plate for the backup light when i get around to it
Old 03-07-2008, 01:43 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 550 Likes on 387 Posts

Will these fit in a 77 ?? Im thinking about running to go get some right now?? Nice little project for sat before our hooters run....
Old 03-07-2008, 02:58 PM
fauxrs2
Drifting

Originally Posted by ptroxx
Will these fit in a 77 ?? Im thinking about running to go get some right now?? Nice little project for sat before our hooters run....
I really couldnt say.. the light buckets in my tailcone are deeper but should be the same size (diameter) as any of the rubber bumper cars...you would have other challenges because of how the factory lights mount in your tailcone compared to my fiberglass one..

the black border on the lights is rubber so it will conform if need be
Old 03-07-2008, 03:00 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by fauxrs2
I really couldnt say.. the light buckets in my tailcone are deeper but should be the same size (diameter) as any of the rubber bumper cars...you would have other challenges because of how the factory lights mount in your tailcone compared to my fiberglass one..

the black border on the lights is rubber so it will conform if need be

What is the diameter of the lights? The stock '77 lenses are about 5" in diameter.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:22 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

well if the lights fit all the same years from 74-82 sbouldnt it work ????

It sure looks like it will work no problem......Just have to remove the support rings 3 bolts and thats about it....then you have just the fiberglass bumper and the 2 holes for the taillight...
Old 03-07-2008, 06:36 PM
fauxrs2
Drifting

Originally Posted by Durango_boy
What is the diameter of the lights? The stock '77 lenses are about 5" in diameter.

the rubber ring around the lens measures about 5 to 5.125" it is very flexible so it should fit 5" no problems
Old 03-08-2008, 11:21 AM
ptroxx
Race Director

Yeah im going to do this project very soon.... Would be nice to have before our enxt cruise.

How hard is the wiring? Can I just use wire splicers to make the connections?? ya think that would be ok ?

the rubber ring around the lens measures about 5 to 5.125" it is very flexible so it should fit 5" no problems
Old 03-08-2008, 02:30 PM
pbcanney
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The lights are nice but I really want one of these bumpers

Old 03-08-2008, 04:59 PM
ksbunting
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Fauxrs2,
Very well documented modification.
Beautiful Corvette with a very nice wheel combination
Nicely done,
Kurt
Old 09-27-2008, 03:47 PM
starbai
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by paul67
Thanks! That's good to know. I have four to install come spring.

i've got these same lights in your picture.

but i dont have access to a wiring diagram to know what needs to be spliced into what.

do you know where I could find one?

does an additional flasher still need to be applied with these lights or are they made for corvettes in that they come with the flasher built into the board?
Old 09-27-2008, 05:40 PM
TPI BOY
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pbcanney
The lights are nice but I really want one of these bumpers

How does it look from the side, I mean the bumper
Old 09-27-2008, 05:58 PM
gbags
Instructor

Installed same in my 78. Followed your design and it is great. Thanks
Old 02-01-2009, 10:29 PM
76 sting
Pro

Just a standard electronic flasher in lieu of the original thermal is all that was required..flashers work just fine.
I asked this question on another older thread, but this is where I wanted to ask it. I am in the process of installing the harbor freight on mine and connected one and tested it. The flasher works fine with the origional version....is there actually a need to install the electric HD flasher since it works with the origional

Old 02-02-2009, 12:57 AM
Young69Owner
Burning Brakes

A thermal flasher needs a certain amount of current to fire and an electronic one is just a 0/1 switch. It will work regardless of the load. Your 4-way may not work all the time now. I eventually got an electric 4-way from Eckler's. It goes just over the fuse panel and needs to be grounded (the original did not).

LEDs become brighter by adding more. They last for for 50,000 hours or 5.7 years (if they were never turned off).

I went with 5 Watt Luxeons all the way around and they are plenty bright (although I think DB has me beat). They are direct 1156/1157 replacements (bayonet base).

Very clean and distinctive install -- the bumper as well.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:16 AM
76 sting
Pro

Originally Posted by Young69Owner
A thermal flasher needs a certain amount of current to fire and an electronic one is just a 0/1 switch. It will work regardless of the load. Your 4-way may not work all the time now. I eventually got an electric 4-way from Eckler's. It goes just over the fuse panel and needs to be grounded (the original did not).

LEDs become brighter by adding more. They last for for 50,000 hours or 5.7 years (if they were never turned off).

I went with 5 Watt Luxeons all the way around and they are plenty bright (although I think DB has me beat). They are direct 1156/1157 replacements (bayonet base).

Very clean and distinctive install -- the bumper as well.

Thanks for the info

Old 02-02-2009, 10:18 AM
gator77
Advanced

Thanks for the info; that was a great way to do it! I'm almost ready to install new taillights on my '75 and was trying to decide which way to go! Being a first time vette owner and it being a "project car", the help I get from all you folks is greatly appreciated!!
Old 02-02-2009, 10:40 AM
fauxrs2
Drifting

Imagine my surprise to see this nearly year old thread on the front page again

Get notified of new replies

To LED Taillight install

Old 02-02-2009, 04:53 PM
76 sting
Pro

Imagine my surprise to see this nearly year old thread on the front page again
It is funny, but you can't go wrong. A lot of safty value for the dollar and such an easy upgrade

Old 02-03-2009, 08:28 PM
76 sting
Pro

OK folks I need your asistance on this one. I have completed the led install and something is wrong. Before all the lights worked perfectly as they are supossed to. However, now the inner lights do not stay on, but when I put in in reverse the inner lights come on. The outer lights work perfectly,i.e. blinkers, tail, and bake lights.

1)If I understand the lights correctly the inner and outer tail lights should all be on low
2)The outer ones controll the blinkers and brakes.
3) If I step on the brakes all leds (inner and outer) should be high
4) Reverse lights none

Am I missing something...what went wrong?

both inner and outer lights white wire went to the the third wire on the outer lights assuming that was ground. The black wire went to the middle socket connection and the red one went to the remaining.

thanks for the help in advance
Old 02-04-2009, 12:22 AM
fauxrs2
Drifting

Originally Posted by 76 sting
OK folks I need your asistance on this one. I have completed the led install and something is wrong. Before all the lights worked perfectly as they are supossed to. However, now the inner lights do not stay on, but when I put in in reverse the inner lights come on. The outer lights work perfectly,i.e. blinkers, tail, and bake lights.

1)If I understand the lights correctly the inner and outer tail lights should all be on low
2)The outer ones controll the blinkers and brakes.
3) If I step on the brakes all leds (inner and outer) should be high
4) Reverse lights none

Am I missing something...what went wrong?

both inner and outer lights white wire went to the the third wire on the outer lights assuming that was ground. The black wire went to the middle socket connection and the red one went to the remaining.

thanks for the help in advance
Sounds to me as straightforward as you wired up the backup light signal wire to the inboard lights. leastways on my 78 the inboard lights were backup only originally, I dont know if this is the same on the 76 or not.

essentially the inboard sockets you abandon, use no wires from those sockets, the new harnesses are connected to the outboard socket wires only. Go to the front page and you will see that i mention that the wire colors for the Harbor frieght units have an odd color scheme compared to what you might be used to.

Quick Reply: LED Taillight install