Sponsored by:

LED Taillight install

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 07:42 AM
76 sting
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fauxrs2
Sounds to me as straightforward as you wired up the backup light signal wire to the inboard lights. leastways on my 78 the inboard lights were backup only originally, I dont know if this is the same on the 76 or not.

essentially the inboard sockets you abandon, use no wires from those sockets, the new harnesses are connected to the outboard socket wires only. Go to the front page and you will see that i mention that the wire colors for the Harbor frieght units have an odd color scheme compared to what you might be used to.

Ok...so on yours did you too abandon the inboards? It sounds to me like my inner are for backup only also and if that is the case than the only option is to wire both lights on each side off of just the outter one.

I am bad at electrical so I want to make sure that I am not going to overload or cause some other wirign issues.

Yes, I got the wiring wrong the first time then reread your post on the funky wiring scheme.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:45 PM
fauxrs2
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 76 sting
Ok...so on yours did you too abandon the inboards? It sounds to me like my inner are for backup only also and if that is the case than the only option is to wire both lights on each side off of just the outter one.

I am bad at electrical so I want to make sure that I am not going to overload or cause some other wirign issues.

Yes, I got the wiring wrong the first time then reread your post on the funky wiring scheme.

Yes on the 78 the inboard lights are backup only, white lights surrounded by a reflector. These i just coiled up and zip tied up outta the way and I wired in the two lamps on either side to the outboard wiring.

No need to worry about overload as the LED's draw a significantly lower voltage to operate than the old bulbs.

take a look at this

Last edited by fauxrs2; 02-04-2009 at 03:51 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:01 PM
76 sting
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fauxrs2
Yes on the 78 the inboard lights are backup only, white lights surrounded by a reflector. These i just coiled up and zip tied up outta the way and I wired in the two lamps on either side to the outboard wiring.

No need to worry about overload as the LED's draw a significantly lower voltage to operate than the old bulbs.

take a look at this
thanks a million for the help!!

Old 03-05-2011, 10:29 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

i want the led lights like what you have done , but i want the turn signal lights to flash seqential like they do on a mustang .any one seen that done ?
Old 03-06-2011, 12:02 AM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by terry82
i want the led lights like what you have done , but i want the turn signal lights to flash seqential like they do on a mustang .any one seen that done ?
mine do
Old 03-06-2011, 11:38 AM
terry82
Le Mans Master

can you tell us about it ?
Old 03-06-2011, 01:58 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by terry82
can you tell us about it ?
http://s593.photobucket.com/albums/t...t=IMG_0350.mp4

Old 03-06-2011, 07:37 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

thanks i enjoyed it and it gave me some ideas .
Old 05-25-2023, 01:18 PM
QUICKSILVETTE
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi everyone, not sure if this thread has anyone responding anymore but I have a question regarding converting to LED lights to my tailights. I plan to keep my front/side marker lights all stock bulbs. I plan to change the rear tailights to LEDs. How do I apply an electronic flasher so it only operates for the rear tailights. Do I keep the original flasher that operates in the front of the car and apply an electronic flasher in between my new tailights in the rear of the car or do I not even install an electronic LED flasher in the rear and just put resistors back there?
Old 05-25-2023, 04:53 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,127 Posts

Originally Posted by QUICKSILVETTE
Hi everyone, not sure if this thread has anyone responding anymore but I have a question regarding converting to LED lights to my tailights. I plan to keep my front/side marker lights all stock bulbs. I plan to change the rear tailights to LEDs. How do I apply an electronic flasher so it only operates for the rear tailights. Do I keep the original flasher that operates in the front of the car and apply an electronic flasher in between my new tailights in the rear of the car or do I not even install an electronic LED flasher in the rear and just put resistors back there?
You should start a new thread for this but the electronic flasher will work for both LED and the conventional lights so you just swap it in.
Use quality LED bulbs
M

Quick Reply: LED Taillight install