Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I bet the AC Cobra forum is ROFL ....
Old 01-21-2011, 07:40 PM
John A F
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

Would your liability insurance cover that?
Old 01-21-2011, 08:10 PM
81pilot
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas Stinger
The car is private property though and they don't have the right to touch it
Tell the lawyer that, There is a thing called an attractive nuisance. Basically if you buy something and take it somewhere wanting people to look at it without roping it off if they are hurt, the liability can be assessed based on that issue. It is not a hard and fast thing, but a good lawyer may be able to make the case.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:10 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

It's all too easy to join the Hooker Tattoo Club. Guess this is yet another opportunity for mention Dean's shields prevent that.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:04 AM
myoriginal77
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

In 1977, car was brand new, side pipes were on hours after I got home from the dealer.
Took it work and took a friend for a ride, just as he was getting out I tried warning him, too late, he put his whole palm and full weight in the pipe, he left a patch of skin that we couldn't get off, it burned up an the way home and left a mark on the pipe I never could get off.

I over the years have burned myself on the side pipes. That being said, right now I have a regular exhaust (chambered) that I love the sound of but I can't wait to get the side pipes back on. I have to change the flange to match the LS1.

Love the side pipes though, sound and look can't be beat - IMHO -

Frank
Old 01-22-2011, 05:56 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by John A F
Would your liability insurance cover that?
Just a guess but I would say yes. I had a friend that left his hitch in the back of his pickup and a lady tripped over it,his car insurance paid for her medical.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:04 PM
Slotehog
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Several weeks before my father purchased his 1980 in '86, we visited my Uncle Pete who had an orange 1972 with side pipes. Uncle Pete took us for a ride. Yes, "us." At age 4 I was slightly smaller than I am now at 28 and could ride on my dad's lap (laws were a little more liberal back then). I burned my leg getting out and for whatever reason wanted a Vette ever since. Maybe the ride over shadowed the pain I felt...not sure. Regardless, side pipes kick some major @$$!

Andy
Old 01-22-2011, 09:48 PM
redman76
Melting Slicks

Received 357 Likes on 262 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

That's why I put shields on mine, but they are not child proof. When I go to cruise-ins, I always watch the car closely until pipes cool a little and I have had to warn kids to be careful.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:19 PM
vette427-sbc
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Are people really getting that close to your cars where they are within touching-distance of the sidepipes? I understand the passenger getting out and burning their leg (happens all too often with my car), but I couldnt imagine people are just "looking" that closely at the car.

I was at a car show once where there was a family that was letting the kids "climb" up the side of a car so they could see inside. Next up was my car and I knew the kids were going to attempt to step on the sidepipe. I went over and told them to not get close because they would get a nasty burn on the sidepipe. Kept them off my car, and no burns.

Seriously though, worrying about someone else getting hurt and suing you because they werent aware of their surroundings? Its sad that people get away with coming up with lawsuits like that. Tripped over a trailer hitch? Watch where you are going next time. Got too close to my car and burned your leg? Dont get that close again. Sorry for the rant, I just dislike the sue-happy day that we live in.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:55 AM
ragtag74
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hot pipes

I have had and been exposed to side pipes for many years.I currently have Hooker Side pipes with Cobra shields.They work great for leg protection,but O protection where the pipes exit at the front fender.Always caution lookers of the hot pipes,they cool fairly quick.Never open your hood at a cruise in until pipes cool.They will burn onlookers on their chins. Long live side pipes. P/S One day I plan on a sign of some sort Caution Hot Pipes. John

Quick Reply: Has anyone ever....