Sponsored by:

1976 as a Daily Driver

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 11:35 PM
mgambuzza
Heel & Toe

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 1976 as a Daily Driver

I know I may be taking a bunch of hits for this - but I wanted to get the widest array of opinions and this is where I would expect the most honest of them.

In CNY - our "driving" season is so short - April - October - that I truly enjoy the top down/spirited driving season. Although I've owned my 1970 which would only be driven on the best of days, I've supplemented the season with Mustang GTs, MG Midgets, Trans Ams, Z28s, Z3s, and Volvo T5s. Recently I thought with the love of Corvettes, the practicality of repairs, why not look at the possibility of one for the "off times" that I drive the 1970. I looked at the 84-86 versions, but locally anything that I've seen had serious interior and trim issues. The only ones that seemed in excellent outward shape, and mechanical shape, were the 76-77 versions. The cost of ownership seemed reasonable, parts would be reasonable, and with an automatic version - my better half would be able to enjoy it when I wasn't using it. It seems like a win-win.

Looking for opinions of others in the forum on this potential decision. I would still only place 2-3k miles a year on the vehicle. The 76-77 versions run on regular fuel (not 110 Leaded like my 1970). Maintenance would be much easier than returning to Euro vehicles (Merc SLK or SL, BMW Z3/Z4, or MG and Triumphs). I would win driving a nostalgic vehicle I love, with many of the options my other does not have (AC/Power windows/Automatic - versus the leg press clutch - although I would miss the removable window).

I am very close on moving in on a red 1976 with AC/Auto/PW/L48/and 60k miles.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:41 PM
milo30
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

SO if I understand you correctly, you are just looking at getting a 2nd corvette to drive during your "corvette season" and will be driving something else the rest of the year and your wife will be able to drive it?

If you have the money and can afford it then why not? No reason not to. Life is short do what makes you happy and enjoy it.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:45 PM
MCMLXXX
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

My view is go for it. I drive my 80 all the time. other than a few normal things that have needed fixing. It is very reliable, has never brokedown on side of road, never failed to start,etc. In my opinion its when these cars sit too much that things go bad, with normal use they are very reliable.

Mike.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:54 PM
mgambuzza
Heel & Toe

To further clarify - no I wouldn't be driving it in the torrential downpours or miserable days - just the days in between. The 70 with as much of a blast that it is has no AC, need 110 octane to run properly (I know I could change the heads, but that takes away from the originality and the perspective whenever it is driven), and by not driving it that often make it that more appreciable when sliding behind the wheel. As mentioned also - that sporadic driving has cost me several times in multiple replacement of brake calipers from little to no use - I'm trying to make it a habit of driving the 70 at least once a week to dispel that problem once and for all. I bought this car with 49k miles in 1990 and now just turned 57k on the odometer - and with 110 octane at $12 per gallon I'll not be driving this every day.

IMHO when I look at the small items such as brakes, oil changes, general maintenance, it is much easier on a Corvette rather than the other options I have owned in the past. After all it is a "Chevy". Its the other "small" item that might worry me such as headlight actuators, HVAC controllers, the R12 $$$ potential nightmare.

Last edited by mgambuzza; 06-23-2011 at 11:57 PM.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:01 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,471 Likes on 1,250 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by mgambuzza
...I know I may be taking a bunch of hits for this...
Why? Does it matter?

...The 76-77 versions run on regular fuel...
76-77s run on no lead and have cat cons.

...I am very close on moving in on a red 1976 with AC/Auto/PW/L48/and 60k miles...
So why should opinions here slow you down?

Old 06-24-2011, 12:23 PM
Dose11
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Umm cars are made to be driven...I just bought my 81 for a daily driver...I even got caught in the rain twice already(when it was only a 10% chance) Once with the tops off(luckily I was on the highway...I didnt get wet) and the other time with the tops on(found out I had some leaks) But get the car you want to drive if you can afford it...
Old 06-24-2011, 12:27 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Just curious, but why does your '70 'NEED' 110 leaded fuel? If it's stock, it needs no more than 93 octane and the 'burning valve seat' thing is a myth.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:05 PM
Derrick Reynolds
Team Owner

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15, '17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
Just curious, but why does your '70 'NEED' 110 leaded fuel? If it's stock, it needs no more than 93 octane and the 'burning valve seat' thing is a myth.
This is where my brain went too. I had a '69 vert a couple of decades ago that when I got it, I would run a mixture of Sunoco 94 octane "Ultra" and Cam2 100 octane racing fuel to prevent it from knocking. As I learned more about the Rochester carb and the timing curve, I found I could use much less Cam2. About a year before I sold it, I finally got the tune right, and I didn't need any Cam2 at all anymore. This was on a base engine car too 350/300.

Now I have a '70 454. I have only run 93 octane Exxon through it, but I have never heard it knock. If your engine is in stock configuration, and is knocking on high test fuel, there is something wrong. If you are worried about the valve seat thing, there are lead additives that are a lot cheaper than paying $12 a gallon for fuel. What engine is in your '70?
Old 06-24-2011, 02:03 PM
Mick71
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15,'21

When you can buy a nice C3 driver for the price of a Ford Focus why not? Way cooler!!
Old 06-24-2011, 07:23 PM
Roco71
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mick71
When you can buy a nice C3 driver for the price of a Ford Focus why not? Way cooler!!
My thoughts as well
Old 06-27-2011, 11:16 PM
mgambuzza
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by PKguitar
If you are worried about the valve seat thing, there are lead additives that are a lot cheaper than paying $12 a gallon for fuel. What engine is in your '70?
I've the L46 350/350HP 11:1 Compression motor. On 93 the engine under light acceleration will detonate and begin knocking. On 100 and better gasoline - it disappears completely and the car is a completely different animal.

Also - there's no better smell than burning high octane Leaded gasoline. I was at a drive thru one day and the girl at the window started to wince and said "what the heck are you burning in that car". I replied Leaded High Octane gasoline - to which she asked "what is Leaded gasoline". I didn't bother with the response. Its just like the other day when one of my peers - a much younger one - had never heard of tubes and tube radios. "What is a tube" - a couple of us rolled our eyes and promised we would bring in an example for him to learn something new.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:02 PM
mgambuzza
Heel & Toe

Well- I've done it. 1976 L48 with auto/air-recently upgraded and converted to R134/ good paint/interior/frame/ and 60k original miles. Not a perfect car but a great starting point at a reasonable price. My wife surprisingly loves it too!
Old 07-02-2011, 01:13 PM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Received 884 Likes on 478 Posts

Life is short.
Cars are meant to be driven.
Go for it.

Get notified of new replies

To 1976 as a Daily Driver

Quick Reply: 1976 as a Daily Driver