Door Shim Installation Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 09:04 AM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 136 Likes on 74 Posts

Default Door Shim Installation Help

Here is the story. I am currently installing doors on an 81 Corvette. When I bought the car, the doors were already removed from the body, So I have no idea how many shims were placed on each hinge.

My question is how do you gauge the number you will need top and bottom? I'm sure it was different on each car and on each door. Any help would be appreciated
Old 10-04-2011, 10:19 AM
GS977
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

when i pulled the doors off my 82 for the first time there was no shims. and it lines up fine. i would first put the doors on without shims and see how they line up. and i would pull the striker out the door jamb and get the door to line up perfectly when closed then put the striker back in. you want the striker to only limit how far the door closed and not any up and down movement. it's pretty easy to align the doors but very time consuming.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:30 AM
Roco71
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have seen it to where there are 0 to 5 per hinge. I would start with two on each hinge and work from there adding or subtracting. Start with the bottom bolts leaving the top out of each hinge. This will allow you to add and subtract shims easier. Note that there is a front and back to the shims and if you are only using the two bottom bolts to start the alignment you can put them in backwards and this will prohibit you from moving the door forward should you need to. You cannot put the top bolts in for the final fitting should they be backwards though.

Last edited by Roco71; 10-04-2011 at 02:05 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:59 AM
pik
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One that I learned is to line the door up correctly fore/aft and height wise and use paint to outline the bolt heads on the inner doors. It is such a long process of adding/removing shims to get everything perfect; being able to line up the bolts first time right saves a ton of time.
Andy

Get notified of new replies

To Door Shim Installation Help

Quick Reply: Door Shim Installation Help