Old 07-01-2012, 10:39 AM
javaman
Drifting

Received 569 Likes on 380 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Power Brake Conversion

I've done my homework first and searched previous posts on this subject but have a question that I didn't see asked. Do the conversion kits (I see Corvette Central and Zip has them but not Willcox or Paragon) have a OEM look to them? Not looking too fool anyone (I will save the old system parts in the unlikely event I ever sell the car) I just want to keep things looking as original as possible.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:22 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,471 Likes on 1,250 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by javaman
...Do the conversion kits (I see Corvette Central and Zip has them but not Willcox or Paragon) have a OEM look to them?...
Call CC and ZIP and ask?

...I just want to keep things looking as original as possible...
FWIW: Install the optional J50 factory power brake set up. The parts are available and the assembly instruction manual (AIM) shows how to install the package.

Old 07-02-2012, 02:00 PM
LemansBlue68
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Try pricing the system out using the AIM as a guide as Easy Mike suggested. You'll likely find it's much cheaper putting the system together yourself. It's really very easy to install too.

There were two basic brake booster designs. I'm a little fuzzy on when the design changed, but the first is a Bendix design and is painted black. The second design is a Delco design and is gold colored zinc plated. I think the change happened around '78 but not positive. I think the designs will interchange but if correct looks are important you may want to get the right one for your car.

With some clever shopping on the Advance Auto website and some online coupons you may be able to score a master cylinder and brake booster much cheaper than with one of those kits. If you have a '69 or later its even easier because all you have to change are the brake lines from the MC to the distribution block. My '68 required a new set of front and front-rear lines...a bit more involved but still not a major job.

The rest is easy. The vacuum fittings, brake lines etc. are common items that most of the Corvette vendors carry for reasonable prices.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:24 AM
javaman
Drifting

Hey guys - great advice, thanks! I like the idea of puting the system together using as many "original" parts as posible and saving a couple of bucks to spend on something else is always good! Have a safe 4th
Old 07-04-2012, 10:50 AM
LemansBlue68
Melting Slicks

Javaman, I just sent you a PM on a potential parts source for your project. I think you'll find these prices to your liking. Good Luck! Don't hesitate to ask questions if they come up.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:26 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 569 Likes on 385 Posts

I don't think it's an "easy" modification to make. My opinion.

But first of all, I think the PB kits all included factory duplicate parts. If not they are readily available from Corvette salvage yards. Get a rebuilt genuine GM Delco vacuum booster. I'd imagine Wilcox sells them or knows and knows how to get them. The NCRS Driveline magazine has ads from people selling and rebuilding the boosters.

You need to change the brake lines going to the MC. I like In-Line Tube. The normal vendors sell them also.

OK....the fun begins. To mount the vacuum canister to the firewall, it has to be modified, new holes drilled to mount the canister. Also, the shaft that originally went from the brake pedal to the MC, was pivoted from one particular hole in the brake pedal lever. This shaft will now be directed to the vacuum canister, but will now need a different hole in the brake pedal as a pivot point. Moving this shaft's pivot point from one hole to another is fussy. Working under the dash laying on your back, etc. makes this a not easy job. Hint: If you take out the steering column, this all gets easy. People who have done this before do not have to remove the column, for a first time job, keep the "remove steering column" option open as you go about installing the PBs.

I need to install PBs on my 68. I've just got too many other projects to get to that. I'm worried that when I become much older, I won't have the leg strength to work manual brakes.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:11 PM
AF_Vette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This would also be a good time to remove and inspect your vacuum canister. The only chance that you will get.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:57 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,461 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I've done my homework first and searched previous posts on this subject but have a question that I didn't see asked. Do the conversion kits (I see Corvette Central and Zip has them but not Willcox or Paragon) have a OEM look to them? Not looking too fool anyone (I will save the old system parts in the unlikely event I ever sell the car) I just want to keep things looking as original as possible.
Java... Doing this conversion is really not that hard and there are not that many parts involved. If you researched this you've probably seen an old post I did on how to know where to cut the firewall and the other parts needed. If not let me know, I'll dig up the picture for you.

Willcox
Old 07-05-2012, 07:49 AM
javaman
Drifting

Originally Posted by LemansBlue68
Javaman, I just sent you a PM on a potential parts source for your project. I think you'll find these prices to your liking. Good Luck! Don't hesitate to ask questions if they come up.
Hey 'Blue got your PM - thank you very much. No doubt the prices are good - just not sure if I want to go new or re-manufactured (I realize the MS is new). Plus, Delco vs Cardone (not implying there's anything wrong with Cardone - just not familiar with the brand/manufacturer) ?
Old 07-05-2012, 07:52 AM
javaman
Drifting

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
Java... Doing this conversion is really not that hard and there are not that many parts involved. If you researched this you've probably seen an old post I did on how to know where to cut the firewall and the other parts needed. If not let me know, I'll dig up the picture for you.

Willcox
Thanks Ernie - must have missed your post when I did my research. Will go back now and look - I'll let you know if I can't find.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:06 AM
javaman
Drifting

Originally Posted by 68/70Vette
I don't think it's an "easy" modification to make. My opinion.

But first of all, I think the PB kits all included factory duplicate parts. If not they are readily available from Corvette salvage yards. Get a rebuilt genuine GM Delco vacuum booster. I'd imagine Wilcox sells them or knows and knows how to get them. The NCRS Driveline magazine has ads from people selling and rebuilding the boosters.

You need to change the brake lines going to the MC. I like In-Line Tube. The normal vendors sell them also.

OK....the fun begins. To mount the vacuum canister to the firewall, it has to be modified, new holes drilled to mount the canister. Also, the shaft that originally went from the brake pedal to the MC, was pivoted from one particular hole in the brake pedal lever. This shaft will now be directed to the vacuum canister, but will now need a different hole in the brake pedal as a pivot point. Moving this shaft's pivot point from one hole to another is fussy. Working under the dash laying on your back, etc. makes this a not easy job. Hint: If you take out the steering column, this all gets easy. People who have done this before do not have to remove the column, for a first time job, keep the "remove steering column" option open as you go about installing the PBs.

I need to install PBs on my 68. I've just got too many other projects to get to that. I'm worried that when I become much older, I won't have the leg strength to work manual brakes.
For me, your first sentence says it all! LOL!! Definitely not something I am going to tackle myself (don't have the time or skill). I do like the idea of removing the steering column ( I've also read where it makes the job much easier) and may just go all out and replace it with a tilt/telescopic column.
Part of me hates changing these original parts (car is #'s matching) but at this point, creature comfort is important to me (plus, all original parts will be saved).
Old 07-05-2012, 10:49 AM
LemansBlue68
Melting Slicks

Hey 'Blue got your PM - thank you very much. No doubt the prices are good - just not sure if I want to go new or re-manufactured (I realize the MS is new). Plus, Delco vs Cardone (not implying there's anything wrong with Cardone - just not familiar with the brand/manufacturer) ?
The Cardone booster would be remanufactured Delco. They are one of the bigger reman outfits out there. I've never had a problem with anything reman'ed by them. I don't know if you'll find new or NOS at anything resembling a reasonable price, but never say never...

In the link I sent you, you may have picked up on the visual differences between the boosters. The later style has a more rounded appearance to it. The earlier style is what you want for your '69. Anyhow, good luck on your conversion if you decide to go that way.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:03 AM
javaman
Drifting

Good to know that Delco does the work for Cardone, And you're right about appearance. The newer one remind of an overinflated "happy birthday" balloon. Wonder what the difference though (if any) is between the Delco MC and the Cardone MC. Could be the same except for the cap and markings (assuming Delco manufacturers the MS for Cardone)?
Old 07-05-2012, 11:37 AM
loup68
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 437 Likes on 332 Posts
Army

Why the need to go to power brakes? I have driven my 68 for 40 years with the manual brakes. I think that if you have a 4-speed, like I do, that the power brakes would be awfully touchy when slamming the pedals. Just my .02 cents worth. Lou.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:50 AM
javaman
Drifting

Your input is much appreciated. I think in my case it's more of a comfort thing and the "mental" assurance (I realize both systems should stop the car the same) that PB are better/safer.

Get notified of new replies

To Power Brake Conversion

Quick Reply: Power Brake Conversion