Sponsored by:

1976 Corvette Eckler hatchback kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 06:09 PM
darclegion
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1976 Corvette Eckler hatchback kit

I am thinking about buying this 1976 stingray coupe that has this ugly hatchback kit. The problem is that I cant find a new 1976 rear clip (remanufactured one), I ofcourse can buy a used Rear Clip, somewhere.

I looked at lost of parts online, and they seem to stop making 76-77 rear decks for some reason, my luck.

I was wondering if anyone ever removed one, and how hard is it. The kit was a 3 part piece. If I can get the vette for a steal, I may just replace the rear clip.

Other than the hatchback, its a beautiful car.
http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/3329882612.html

I would replace the rear clip and repaint the car. If I can get the price down to a realistic level, I may have a go at it.

Any advice would be great.

How much do you think I should pay as well, if I do....which is most unlikely. But I had plans to make a custom vette, and this car may idea for cutting up to make a custom vette out of, since its no longer original.

tom
Old 11-15-2012, 07:26 PM
Rick Rowland
Intermediate

I like it as is, but then I have a vettewagon. It IS an Eckler's kit, and the Western wheels are the same as they used on cars shown in their old catalogs. The side pipes are vintage Thrush units. I don't care for them on a vette, especially compared to the factory '69 side exhaust, but you almost never see a set anymore, and when you do, they are in terrible condition. There are people in the hot rod community that want them.
As far as changing the clip, it would almost be a shame to change this car back. Love it or hate it, it IS part of Corvette/automotive history, and actually you rarely see one that is in this good of shape. IMHO, you would be better off anyway simply finding another car to customize if you don't like the style of this one. There are many C3's around for less money, that would not require a rear clip change. Best of luck, and have fun!
Old 11-15-2012, 07:49 PM
PhotoVette1
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Judging from those pics, I'd save your money for all the mechanical work you're goanna need.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:20 PM
Tim H
Safety Car

Received 103 Likes on 69 Posts

Or you could buy mine, paint when and if ready and be lots of money and work ahead.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:39 AM
darclegion
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Rick Rowland
I like it as is, but then I have a vettewagon. It IS an Eckler's kit, and the Western wheels are the same as they used on cars shown in their old catalogs. The side pipes are vintage Thrush units. I don't care for them on a vette, especially compared to the factory '69 side exhaust, but you almost never see a set anymore, and when you do, they are in terrible condition. There are people in the hot rod community that want them.
As far as changing the clip, it would almost be a shame to change this car back. Love it or hate it, it IS part of Corvette/automotive history, and actually you rarely see one that is in this good of shape. IMHO, you would be better off anyway simply finding another car to customize if you don't like the style of this one. There are many C3's around for less money, that would not require a rear clip change. Best of luck, and have fun!
Yea, I talked to him and he said its been sitting around for almost 20 years, all the hoses, belts are dry rotting, the tranny fluid drained out for some unknown reason. And it is not driveable. It sounds like the seals in the transmission are leaking and probably the rear main in the engine. I think it would be a nightmare to fix. Then on top of that, I really just dont like the hatchback. I will leave it for someone else that can appreciate it more.
With that said, I declined.

I plan on buying what I really want and saving my money for a bit.
A 1971 or 1973 Monza red Stingray with chrome pipes, low mileage, and in great condition. So I will just sit back and relax. My wife decided that it can be our next car. I have owned a 71,74 and 82.

Im a corvette man, but I have a family now, and been riding shotgun in a SUV for the past 6 years....and its killing me. But one day....I will be back in the saddle.

Cheers,
Tom
Old 11-16-2012, 07:42 AM
darclegion
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by PhotoVette1
Judging from those pics, I'd save your money for all the mechanical work you're goanna need.
Yea, I agree totally, especially after talking to him. He said its been sitting for 20 years. No go for me.

I want to do a custumized vette someday, but not now.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:50 AM
Curby
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

I think you made the right decision.

That is a pretty car that someone should bring back mechanically and show as a part of history.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:26 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

You are a smart man.. and sheepishly I say dangit.. (I have a 76 rear clip..)

Get notified of new replies

To 1976 Corvette Eckler hatchback kit

Quick Reply: 1976 Corvette Eckler hatchback kit