Sponsored by:

Prebent brake lines

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 10:11 PM
75sl48
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prebent brake lines

So my pre-bent brake lines came in last week, I ordered them from Corvette Central. Well tonight I started tearing into and got off the 2 lines from the mc and the proportioning valve off. After lining up the original lines with the 2 new ones they are not the same.One is pretty close the other one is decently off. Should I try to massage them to be correct or contact CC. The one that is a ways off the end that goes into the PV takes a right turn when it should take a left. I guess my main concern is whether or not the other lines will match up.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:22 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by 75sl48
So my pre-bent brake lines came in last week, I ordered them from Corvette Central. Well tonight I started tearing into and got off the 2 lines from the mc and the proportioning valve off. After lining up the original lines with the 2 new ones they are not the same.One is pretty close the other one is decently off. Should I try to massage them to be correct or contact CC. The one that is a ways off the end that goes into the PV takes a right turn when it should take a left. I guess my main concern is whether or not the other lines will match up.
I would contact CC. Once you modify the parts you cannot return them.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:29 PM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 570 Likes on 447 Posts

Default Might check the AIM too

Might check the AIM too to see if your new line "looks" like the AIM dwg. Agree, if it is off, I would call CC and discuss.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:32 PM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts

when I replaced mine, I used stainless, they were very close from being the originals, so like they said here , contact CC before doing any bending.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:38 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,725 Likes on 2,279 Posts

Call CC and make sure they sent you the correct lines. It's very possible that someone got in the wrong bin when they 'picked' the parts. Or, the bag could have been labeled incorrectly. If you can e-mail them photos of the areas with differences, it would probably help them figure out what went wrong.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:53 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 571 Likes on 387 Posts

Experience with about 5 stainless steel brake line sets made by two manufacturers. They should fit exactly. CC most probably didn't fab these lines, but probably bought them either from In-Line Tube or Vintage Tube.

I now buy from In-Line Tube.

Last edited by 68/70Vette; 02-20-2014 at 12:00 AM.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:56 PM
75sl48
Advanced

So I should probably check the rest of the lines for fitment first so if there's more than these 2 incorrect it can be taken care all at once.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:30 AM
twinpack
Drifting

Received 349 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by 68/70Vette
Experience with about 5 stainless steel brake line sets made by two manufacturers. They should fit exactly. CC most probably didn't fab these lines, but probably bought them either from In-Line Tube or Vintage Tube.

I now buy from In-Line Tube.
Thanks for this info.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:25 AM
LeMans Pete
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Did you order the TBW or stainless lines? I believe they will require some "massaging."

I have not installed mine yet, but was also noting the differences. These are from Zip, but I believe the major vendors purchase them from the same source. Mine did line up fairly well though.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:24 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,725 Likes on 2,279 Posts

Boy! That isn't even close...except for length. You'd need a good tube bender and some experience to get those 'puppies' to fit right.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:27 AM
75sl48
Advanced

LeMans Pete...those looks about how mine are bent. I did not get the ss lines. Because I know how much harder SS is to work with in case some things needed to be changed. I guess I'll have to go down to the shop and collect the brake line #'s and call CC
Old 02-20-2014, 12:46 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,714 Likes on 1,425 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I went through a number of different sources before I found a set that fit. I wanted to use stainless lines, bought them from Corvette America and CSSB, who gets them from Classic Tube. I lost lots of money because they would accept and refund the purchase price, but not the shipping, and its not cheap. The lines were NOT even close, wrong bends, wrong angles coming in to the rear brass blocks, etc. They all kept telling me that minor bends would be required, but these were not minor bends. Way off. There is also differences in how the tubes travel around the lower rear support braces. My original tubes travel aft into the corner, make a ninety degree inward and up over to the back. The Classic Tube pieces go and cross at a 45 degree....not original on a 77 at least.

I ended up going with TBW from Inline Tube directly, and they fit almost perfectly. The minor bending required was easy with the TBW tubes. Had they been stainless, even the minor bends would have pushed the limits. I do not understand how and why then cannot produce the correct bends. One excuse was that my car is modified...sorry not so.

Last edited by Torqued Off; 02-20-2014 at 12:50 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:52 PM
75sl48
Advanced

Originally Posted by iwasmenowhesgone
I went through a number of different sources before I found a set that fit. I wanted to use stainless lines, bought them from Corvette America and CSSB, who gets them from Classic Tube. I lost lots of money because they would accept and refund the purchase price, but not the shipping, and its not cheap. The lines were NOT even close, wrong bends, wrong angles coming in to the rear brass blocks, etc. They all kept telling me that minor bends would be required, but these were not minor bends. Way off. There is also differences in how the tubes travel around the lower rear support braces. My original tubes travel aft into the corner, make a ninety degree inward and up over to the back. The Classic Tube pieces go and cross at a 45 degree....not original on a 77 at least.

I ended up going with TBW from Inline Tube directly, and they fit almost perfectly. The minor bending required was easy with the TBW tubes. Had they been stainless, even the minor bends would have pushed the limits. I do not understand how and why then cannot produce the correct bends. One excuse was that my car is modified...sorry not so.
Yeah I saw that thread of yours last night before I posted my plight. If the other ones line up I'd be ok with only 2 needing to be tweaked. But being that the 1st 2 lines are already wrong....when it rains it pours.
Old 02-20-2014, 05:19 PM
80Baby
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It seems C.C. is the place to go for pre-bent brake lines. I too ordered from them. I was a bit dismayed when I opened to box to discover that the S.S. tubing lines were folded in half. It's a good thing I have a passion for Spagetti because after 1/2 an hour I was able to separate and unfold the works. Everything lined up very well. My fuel lines caused me a bit of grief, but in the end they look great too.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:14 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 571 Likes on 387 Posts

I had some difficulties with In-Line Tube. It's a long story, but basically they sent me, after maybe two line sets, power brake lines and then insisted that the lines were for non-power brakes.. I offered to send them the lines..basically they refused to believe what i said. I installed In-Line Tube lines on my 68 and 70. I also specified stainless steel fittings for the SS brake lines, this cost another $30.

I have Stainless Steel Brake Corporation (SSBC) aluminum brake calipers. They require a custom brake line from the trailing arm to the caliper. In-Line Tube makes custom brake lines. I fabricated a brake line from the trailing arm to the caliper housing using copper tube and steel fittings. I sent the mocked up copper tube brake lines and fitting lines to In-Line...they laser scanned them and duplicated them in stainless steel lines with stainless steel fittings. ...Perfect fit. It was not that expensive. In-Line Tube for me is great to deal with.

Make your custom brake lines in 5/16 inch copper tubing and use steel fittings. The copper is soooo easy to work with and double flare. Send the custom lines to In-Line Tube and get back duplicate ss lines with SS fittings.. They are not expensive.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:10 AM
75sl48
Advanced

Well I called cc today and they told me to take pictures of the new lines compared to the original lines and email it to them. They'd forward it to the supplier and send me new ones if they decide they aren't bent correctly. I asked if they would cover the shipping if I had to send them back and they said they would since it would be a defective product.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:40 AM
75sl48
Advanced

After emailing cc and getting their reply, which was their lines were correct mine were just different. I went ahead and got the front 4 lines installed. they were all pretty good except the obvious rear mc line. The trick for that one is to undo all the bend so it's a straight run. Thread in the bottom first. Then the fitting at the mc needs to be loosened, then whilst pulling up a bit thread in the new. The problem is that rear line is, imho, too short.

Get notified of new replies

To Prebent brake lines

Quick Reply: Prebent brake lines