Sponsored by:

Big Block rear main seal replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 02:20 PM
xpoc454
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Big Block rear main seal replacement

I've done a lot of searching and have got conflicting reports on whether you can remove your original main seal on a corvette with a big block with the engine still in the car.

Can someone confirm that it can be done while the engine is in the car or not?

I asked my local shop about it and they were saying they would have to take the entire engine out the car to do it for 100$/hour labor.

Taking an engine out of a car seems to me a lot more labor work than just doing this with engine still intact.

According to this write-up for small blocks, it seems relatively straight forward. Would it be any different for a big block?
http://www.corvettehacks.com/article5.html

thanks
jim
Old 03-01-2016, 02:22 PM
rklessdriver
Safety Car

Received 401 Likes on 262 Posts

Same procedure for a MK IV BBC.
Will
Old 03-01-2016, 02:26 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,904 Likes on 2,566 Posts

It most certainly can be done.....
For years there was a tool that Lisle made called the "sneaky pete"...I find they work some of the time as a young guy...been years since I have tried it.....

I would recommend loosening the main caps and getting some slack between the crank and the bearing/block to make it more accessible....the timing cover and all of that will have to be removed as well.
Make sure you use a quality seal such as the Fel-Pro viton type....and "stagger" it....parting lines not perpendicular to the main cap/block parting line.

Jebby

Last edited by Jebbysan; 03-01-2016 at 02:28 PM.
Old 03-01-2016, 06:30 PM
rdroket
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

The rear seal can be changed just by removing the rear main. Like Jebby said stagger the seal
Old 03-01-2016, 07:25 PM
bellaireroad
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe check with another shop... I had mine done on a 427 a couple of years ago for about 250 dollars... No pulling engine ...
Old 03-02-2016, 07:52 AM
xpoc454
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bellaireroad
Maybe check with another shop... I had mine done on a 427 a couple of years ago for about 250 dollars... No pulling engine ...
This is a new shop so I thought Id try them out with redoing my front suspension first and see how it goes.
It makes me wonder if their first response was due to lack of experience, ignorance or something more shadier.

jim
Old 03-02-2016, 10:35 AM
Pop Chevy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 838 Likes on 569 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

New shop needs to make LOTS of money. You'd best keep on looking. Try to find an older more experienced fellow, one who's HONEST. BTW, how bad is it leaking ?
Old 03-02-2016, 10:59 AM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 223 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Pop Chevy
Try to find an older more experienced fellow, one who's HONEST. BTW, how bad is it leaking ?

Difficult to stay in business for a long time when not honest. One can only screw so many people before the word gets out.

After rebuild, mine leaks a little. Then again, I am running 20W50 at 75 psi with a high flow pump. Seems to happen after pushing it hard, when more oil goes to the back of the stock pan? Wondering it this is a basic flaw in the design, sorta like my old AMF Harley. It left a stain everywhere it went.

BTW, my oldest son calls me Pops. Makes me smile.
Old 03-02-2016, 11:49 AM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by xpoc454
It makes me wonder if their first response was due to lack of experience, ignorance or something more shadier.

jim
The shop will need to guarantee their work. When changing the seal with the engine in the car, there's always a chance that it will still leak. I don't blame them for not wanting to do it.
Old 03-02-2016, 12:11 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Faster Rat

After rebuild, mine leaks a little. Then again, I am running 20W50 at 75 psi with a high flow pump. Seems to happen after pushing it hard, when more oil goes to the back of the stock pan? Wondering it this is a basic flaw in the design, sorta like my old AMF Harley. It left a stain everywhere it went.
I'm running a high flow pump, 75 psi as well. Haven't noticed any main seal leaks.
Old 03-02-2016, 01:06 PM
xpoc454
Burning Brakes

It has a pretty slow leak on mine, mostly while sitting in one place for a long time. I put something under my car cause after a month it will maybe make a a circle about 10 inches wide. This is a fix I would like to put on my list of things to do but not urgent.
It appears to be leaking right between the vertical plate that separates the engine from transmission.

I cleaned the oil pan and general area to make sure I can pinpoint the slow leak. The only thing is I haven't been able to start up the engine due to current projects on car and I am not sure if that will slow down the dripping.
Old 02-16-2023, 09:57 AM
Avispa
Safety Car

Received 892 Likes on 641 Posts

If you have an early block (changeover was about 1969) without dowel pins in the front of the block and corresponding holes in the timing cover, you need to use a particular technique (and tool if you can find one) to get the timing cover located correctly or the new seal may well blow out quickly. You can either use the centering tool on the crankshaft nose and then tighten the timing cover, or you can partially install the balancer (so the end of the balancer snout passes through the oil seal on the cover) with the cover bolts loose, and then snug the cover bolts. The balancer can then be installed the rest of the way. This can be done with the motor in the car. Worst case you may have to pull the motor mount bolts and lift the motor a bit for clearance.
Old 02-16-2023, 10:29 AM
C6-CYa
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 150 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'09-', '22

Originally Posted by Avispa
If you have an early block (changeover was about 1969) without dowel pins in the front of the block and corresponding holes in the timing cover, you need to use a particular technique (and tool if you can find one) to get the timing cover located correctly or the new seal may well blow out quickly. You can either use the centering tool on the crankshaft nose and then tighten the timing cover, or you can partially install the balancer (so the end of the balancer snout passes through the oil seal on the cover) with the cover bolts loose, and then snug the cover bolts. The balancer can then be installed the rest of the way. This can be done with the motor in the car. Worst case you may have to pull the motor mount bolts and lift the motor a bit for clearance.
I sure hope they haven't been waiting seven years to get this response
The following users liked this post:
speedreed8 (02-16-2023)

Get notified of new replies

To Big Block rear main seal replacement

Quick Reply: Big Block rear main seal replacement