Sponsored by:

Parking brake cable routing????

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2020, 11:59 PM
Redbirdman
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Parking brake cable routing????

Set out to adjust the parking brake cable on my 1981 C3 today and realized the drivers side cable, that goes from the Y to the drivers side parking brake shoes rubs against the seat pan ? Almost to a point where it would hack saw into the pan!
the car did appear to have a drivers side power seat one time but since has been converted to a manual seat. I assume that is why the pan on the drivers side is lower than the passenger side. But there must be something missing or wrong. Any idea?
The bare spot in the pan is where the undercoating is peeling. So far there does not seem to be any damage from the cable but the parking brake was never adjusted since the PO installed new brakes and rotors .

Last edited by Redbirdman; 11-01-2020 at 12:01 AM.
Old 11-01-2020, 10:26 AM
PJO
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 475 Posts

It appears the adjuster at the 3 cable junction is all the way forward or max adjustment. This would indicate there is an issue at the brake shoe and rear cable connection.
The following users liked this post:
Redbirdman (11-01-2020)
Old 11-01-2020, 12:02 PM
Redbirdman
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 41 Posts

“An issue .....”
well so far I removed the tire and wheel to check spoon adjustment of the parking brake. The PO put all new brakes on car just before I bought it and the first thing I notice is he put the rotors on the wrong wheels! Front in back and back in front.
which (I think) accounts for the rather tight free spinning of the rear wheels. Fortunately I have only put about 20 miles on the car since I brought it home.
and I see what you mean about the Y adjustment Being at max.
So, off to another bubba repair!

Maximum adjustment of probably pulling cable over seat pan !

Front wheel with rear rotor installed

Old 11-01-2020, 12:20 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,126 Posts

Usually if the fronts are rears are switched the fronts run into the caliper housing and jamb

M
Redbirdman (11-01-2020)
Old 11-02-2020, 02:14 AM
nwav8tor
Old Fart Pilot

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 411 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by Redbirdman
Set out to adjust the parking brake cable on my 1981 C3 today and realized the drivers side cable, that goes from the Y to the drivers side parking brake shoes rubs against the seat pan ? Almost to a point where it would hack saw into the pan!
the car did appear to have a drivers side power seat one time but since has been converted to a manual seat. I assume that is why the pan on the drivers side is lower than the passenger side. But there must be something missing or wrong. Any idea?
The bare spot in the pan is where the undercoating is peeling. So far there does not seem to be any damage from the cable but the parking brake was never adjusted since the PO installed new brakes and rotors .

I looks like your equalizer may be positioned so the rear cable goes over the threaded adjusting rod segment. If you flip the equalizer over so the rear cable goes BELOW the adjustment rod, that should help space the cable farther from the seat pan. Doing that may also reduce the likelyhood of the rear cable rubbing on the threads of the adjustment rod and stripping them. Not sure if that will "cure" the problem(s), but it shouldn't hurt...

Not an expert,
Paul
Redbirdman (11-02-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To Parking brake cable routing????

Quick Reply: Parking brake cable routing????