Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hidden kill switch ideas

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2023, 05:13 AM
Cormac87
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought a car with that used the headlight ****. When you twist is as if turning on interior lights. I certainly would not try that if I was a thief. I never used it though as I sold it almost immediately once fixing an issues.
Old 01-14-2023, 09:15 AM
bmotojoe
Safety Car

Received 1,318 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Another Idea...
LED or Incandescent Lamp Momentary Push Button
There is a extra hole next to the Trip Reset Cable where a small momentary push button switch can be mounted...
That bracket is grounded by the Reset Cable via speedometer case, if needed...
Using your existing relay change the circuit a little so the relay coil latches i.e. stays energized.
The LED lamp of the push button should be enough load to keep it latched...
If not use a incandescent lamp push button...
When you turn off your ignition switch the latch breaks, relay coil de-energizes...
I understand the reasoning for using a relay, but if found it can easily be bypassed by changing the fuel pumps output wire contact #87 N/O to #87a N/C set of contacts...

Last edited by bmotojoe; 01-14-2023 at 10:31 AM.
Old 01-14-2023, 01:15 PM
67:72
1967 Pedal Car Champion
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,154 Likes on 1,451 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingtal0n
I wrote a small program using arduino that activates a relay which pulls power away from fuel pump and you put in a password. IF you get it right it unlocked the fuel pump relay. If wrong you get a tone and a led lights up somewhere but the pump still comes on for a 30 seconds allowing you to think you got it and drive a short ways then the car dies.
I don't like putting in a password to drive the car though it takes too long. So I put that on a toggle from another pair of switches and conditionals which changes the password and LED display depending on the setting making it faster to start the vehicle if you are in a rush and know where to find certain switch combinations before you left the vehicle that particular time.
My thinking is that I don't want a thief to be able to start the car by flipping a switch within the car or a fob with the keys. I have no idea if this is already possible or how difficult it would be to implement, but it's common these days to use apps on your phone to control all sorts of things - like my house temperature when I'm not home. A fingerprint to unlock the app and you could control a switch that's not visible. You could even turn it off from afar if forgotten.
The following users liked this post:
4-vettes (01-14-2023)
Old 01-14-2023, 01:44 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 989 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by MLM7447
My car has stated value insurance. Getting it stolen will be a windfall.
You want to compare 'agreed value' to stated value policies.

https://www.valuepenguin.com/agreed-value-car-insurance
Old 01-14-2023, 02:08 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 5,030 Likes on 3,089 Posts

Simply put a switch up under the dash where you can easily access it, which will kill power to the coil, fuel pump or both.
If you have a manual fuel pump you can add a fuel block where you can manually shut the valve and stop fuel from going to the pump.
The best way to keep someone from stealing you car is to install a removable steering wheel.
Old 01-14-2023, 09:10 PM
Kingtal0n
Melting Slicks

Received 772 Likes on 530 Posts

Originally Posted by 67:72
My thinking is that I don't want a thief to be able to start the car by flipping a switch within the car or a fob with the keys. I have no idea if this is already possible or how difficult it would be to implement, but it's common these days to use apps on your phone to control all sorts of things - like my house temperature when I'm not home. A fingerprint to unlock the app and you could control a switch that's not visible. You could even turn it off from afar if forgotten.
If i understand correctly you dont like the idea of a password on a number key pad, you want a fingerprint identification,

of course its easy and simple
https://randomnerdtutorials.com/fing...-with-arduino/

Arduino is $20 the fingerprint module is $25~ you can add fingerprint coded ignition to your vehicle for < $80 including all parts relays wiring

I learned a long time ago with switches it isn't about developing some perfect circuit or idea, what really matters is the trigger, there are light triggers, ground/power, wind, small molecule, pattern, magnetic security, base encryption, etc... all kinds of triggers available for implement. I always go another step in "what if" and make sure if the trigger is defeated that the microcontroller knows and blows a fuse somewhere else otherwise a thief could just rip out the wires and send power directly to the device you are trying to block.
Old 01-14-2023, 09:18 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 5,030 Likes on 3,089 Posts

Did you know that many car thefts are simply done with a tow truck?
They can be hooked up and down the road in a matter of seconds.
The following 2 users liked this post by OldCarBum:
Rescue Rogers (01-15-2023), wilcar (01-15-2023)
Old 01-14-2023, 09:28 PM
4-vettes
Le Mans Master

Received 4,957 Likes on 2,985 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Yes, And the guy with a flatbed stealing cars for the chop shop probably isn't scouting around for vintage corvettes. This type of thief is looking for fairly late model common cars that have parts that are quick to sell.
I'm more concerned with the car jacker or joy riding kind of thief.
My car has the factory alarm. But it certainly doesn't immobilise the car and I don't often get out. Put the key in the fender and turn it.
So, a cleverly hidden switch to kill the fuel pump was what I was thinking, but looking at all the ideas.
And yes the car is insured. But I still don't want someone else driving her. And I would rather keep her than have the money.
Old 01-14-2023, 09:48 PM
calwldlife
Team Owner

Received 765 Likes on 617 Posts
St. Jude Donor '22

I put a toggle switch under ashtray you had to know where it was to activate.
68, coil feed.

Old 01-14-2023, 10:05 PM
leigh1322
Old Pro Solo Guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,664 Likes on 1,700 Posts

I have 2 ideas.
Use your cigarette lighter as a kill switch.
Or a friend has a small toggle between the seat and the door sill, by the front edge of the seat. Is even hidden under the carpet.
Old 01-14-2023, 10:43 PM
67:72
1967 Pedal Car Champion
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,154 Likes on 1,451 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingtal0n
If i understand correctly you dont like the idea of a password on a number key pad, you want a fingerprint identification,
Kinda but not really: I don't like an under-hood or concealed on the body switch because anyone interested in stealing the car could observe what you do prior to starting; any switch in the interior would have to be easily accessible to the owner and likewise be accessible to a thief. I am thinking that only the electric module is on the car, in a very difficult to get at location (i.e., next to the gas tank), while the trigger (smart phone app) is separate and not physically present for a thief to implement a work-around without crawling under the car to locate the switch to bypass in some way.

Old 01-14-2023, 11:01 PM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 408 Posts

Default Anti-Theft Device

Old 01-15-2023, 07:45 AM
bmotojoe
Safety Car

Received 1,318 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Originally Posted by 67:72
Kinda but not really: I don't like an under-hood or concealed on the body switch because anyone interested in stealing the car could observe what you do prior to starting; any switch in the interior would have to be easily accessible to the owner and likewise be accessible to a thief. I am thinking that only the electric module is on the car, in a very difficult to get at location (i.e., next to the gas tank), while the trigger (smart phone app) is separate and not physically present for a thief to implement a work-around without crawling under the car to locate the switch to bypass in some way.
Yes there is at least 1 12vdc Bluetooth activated relay on the market now.
If you have the need to pair more than one relay from the app a separate controller is necessary.
It would also be wise to carry a spare standard relay just in case...
https://triggercontroller.com/trigge...uetooth-relay/
'75 (01-15-2023)
Old 01-15-2023, 11:06 AM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,046 Likes on 858 Posts

An app would require wifi or data service to function? Not so convenient in remote areas.

I would keep it simple if it were me. Less complexity, less to fail. Your efforts will only stop the casual thief or the thief of opportunity. Or as you pointed out joy riders.
A determined thief will defeat the effort with a flatbed of course.

If you want complex ask a German auto engineer, I'm sure he could set you up.
Old 01-15-2023, 03:26 PM
Kingtal0n
Melting Slicks

Received 772 Likes on 530 Posts

Yeah i thought about remote control and even put a wireless remote in my vehicle but i realized if i lost the remote or if the battery dies I wont be able to quickly start the vehicle anymore. This lead me to bypass ideas where there is a series of switches or checkpoints that either activate or de-activate various levels of security depending where you are. For example in a bad neighborhood or unknown place or airport leaving the vehicle it will be heightened security require several steps to enable the ECU, fuel pump, ignition, starter, and blow hidden fuses if you got answers wrong. On the other hand just day to day while the vehicle is sitting in parking lot for 5 minutes the system is setup for minimum security with just a basic momentary hidden switch to crank and a magnetic bypass for the neutral safety so I can jump in and go quickly.

And of course somebody can just take the vehicle with a tow truck. To this end the best solution is a GPS tracker.

Also another helpful tip is not to have a car that looks valuable. Fill it with paper crumbled up so it looks like trash inside. Leave the body in rusty or peeling paint shape. Don't look like a target.
Old 01-15-2023, 03:35 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,784 Likes on 4,183 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

I just lock a pizza in it and tell my grilfriend to keep an eye on it...its her dinner

4-vettes (01-19-2023)
Old 01-19-2023, 03:23 AM
4-vettes
Le Mans Master

Received 4,957 Likes on 2,985 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Well, a fair few ideas. I am still on the fence. Thinking a small switch at the base of the seat might be the ticket.

Get notified of new replies

To Hidden kill switch ideas

Old 01-19-2023, 10:46 AM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,795 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by OldCarBum
Did you know that many car thefts are simply done with a tow truck?
They can be hooked up and down the road in a matter of seconds.
My thoughts exactly.
I have kill switches in my cars but they really only pacify me into thinking my car is safe if and when I park it somewhere.
There is a local guy who came home at lunchtime to get something and found a roll back at his garage breaking in to take his vette.
Old 01-19-2023, 10:54 PM
rmrtrex
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 48 Posts

I installed a 5706 Viper alarm which kills the engine and has the power lock/unlock feature. I also added the shock sensor plus the infrared perimeter sensor. If anybody gets close about 24" of the window area of the car it emits 4 chirps and if anybody tries looking inside the car it automatically goes off and notifies me on my pager. Either way it notifies me supposedly up to one mile away but I have tried it and I am lucky to get a little over half a mile. It also has a feature where you can bypass the sensors with the remote and just leave the kill switch if alarm goes off.
Old 01-21-2023, 07:58 PM
nwav8tor
Old Fart Pilot

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 411 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by GTR1999
My thoughts exactly.
I have kill switches in my cars but they really only pacify me into thinking my car is safe if and when I park it somewhere.
There is a local guy who came home at lunchtime to get something and found a roll back at his garage breaking in to take his vette.
Hopefully he was armed and took care of the perp once and for all (fearing for his life of course)!!!
'75 (01-21-2023)

Quick Reply: Hidden kill switch ideas